Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

My car...feels slower....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 12:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My car...feels slower....

I think there's something wrong with the throttle body?.....Somehow the pedal and engine response and power is not what it used to be. Even when I do the ecu reset or all the resets from the technosquare info manual, it just doesn't feel as peppy and responsive as it used to.

When I press on the gas pedal, it "feels" like the throttle body or engine just aren't responding as quickly as it used to...regardless of me performing the ecu reset. It feels like the power isn't ramping up quickly as it used to.

The transmission, whether in manual or auto, feel perfectly normal and as it were the day we bought it.

I'm just doubting that the Houston heat can have this much of effect or not. I've never felt this in the previous summers......

Any suggestions?

Old 08-29-2008, 12:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any recent mods? Have you done the throttle body position sensor reset procedure? If not you can find instructions on MotorDyne's website as part of the spacer install, at the very end of the instructions.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:45 AM
I've done the throttle body position sensor reset as well. I performed all resets listed on Motordyne and Technosquare. Hmm...the only mod I did was K&N filter about 2 months ago....but even after that time I felt that it was stronger. Only about 1-1.5 month ago did I notice the car not feeling strong as it used to. Could it be the K&N?

Old 08-29-2008, 01:54 AM
1. Did you remove your "power port" or do anything else to the intake?
2. Hotter weather is a possible culprit
3. Double check the filter to make sure it is in right
4. Replace with an OEM filter to see if there is any improvement

Old 08-29-2008, 02:36 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i thought all AT do that?

Old 08-29-2008, 08:58 AM
Only when towing a 6MT after it's driver missed the 5 to 4 downshift and went into 2nd.

Disclaimer: I don't think either 5AT or 6MT is better, which one is better is entirely dependent upon the driver and their situation.

I don't think we need to have this argument again.

Old 08-29-2008, 03:29 PM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
Om first off this does not belong in the sedan section. This is why we have a engine section.

Second, heat makes a huge difference. I pull 6 degrees of timing out my car in the Phoenix summer heat. I'm not sure how many HP that is but I would guess at least 60-80! Yes that is on a built motor and TT but still that is a ton of power.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:04 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
heat will make a notable difference...

OP - try cleaning the MAF sensor and the throttle body (read about proper cleaning procedure)... I am always amazed how much better response there is after cleaning...

Old 08-29-2008, 07:06 PM
UPDATE

ttrank - I would normally put this in the engine section...but I thought nobody would read it and help.....

Thanks mods for moving it though, and I always appreciate your input guys.

And yes, GF-4D-G35, I did do the throttle body position sensor reset.

UPDATE
I just took off the engine cover and decided to re-tighten all the bolts for the plenum (I have the spacer). I think I hit the button. I like never re-tighten the bolts...perhaps once in a blue moon. I have to think that the air pressure and heat expand the plenum and make the bolts loose...

Well, I tightened all of them and decided to take it for a drive. And bam, even with this Houston/Dallas heat, I felt the power come back. I described earlier that I felt a lack of throttle response or power response...perhaps the feeling of torque, but NOW I feel it all back. The throttle feels more responsive and the power comes on much more quickly. I feels just like it should.

I don't remember, but do we have to put any type of loctite or teflon tape on the bolts? I didn't put any type of chemical on the bolts when I installed it. I'm gonna contact Tony at ME and see if I have to or not.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:30 PM
Mine came with a little packet of red loctite

Old 08-30-2008, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by GF-4D-G35
Mine came with a little packet of red loctite
ditto,just add a little dab of loctite and you wont have to worry about the bolts coming loose again.Same thing happend to me,except the loud whoooshing noise let me know where to look first!

Old 08-31-2008, 04:37 PM
How tight is loctite supposed to be? I put it on yesterday morning, a dab on the end of a clean bolt per ME instructions, and let it cure the full 24 hours, and today I decided to see if I could tighten the screws just a tad bit more, making sure not to be brute and break them off but they tightened a bit more.....and I'm just curious.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:27 PM
I have no idea but I believe the intent of loctite is to prevent the item from loosening so it might not be an issue.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:29 PM
Well, I took the engine cover off again and I wanted to test the screws tightness level and sadly they were a bit loose. I could turn them tight again from about 0.5 to 2 turns. WTH. It also seemed that the ones in the front of the car/plenum were more loose than the rears. I also saw that I had bad caked on dust and oil on the front right near the engine oil cap. The thing is, I don't know if the pressure somehow made the oil cap vent oil or if it seeped through the plenum and spacer....

This leaking is very apparent looking because there is no dust and oil caked on on the sides or rear. I cleaned the bolts with a brake cleaner and let them dry before putting on loctite...could that be a problem? Or should I cleaned the plenum threading.. as well..because I didnt.

So, I guess that my loss of power feeling at lower speeds (stop) is because of a very small leak? Because the car feels fairly normal at highway speeds...probably because the suction is so strong that it closes the leak? I mean, I already got a new gasket with the plenum...if I remember my installation correctly, I put the new gasket inbetween the spacer and plenum on the top and the old gasket on teh bottom (all sandwiched).

Old 07-24-2009, 04:42 PM
Dont forget to do the ECU reset =)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My car...feels slower....