Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Check this before your powertrain warranty is up!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 05:46 PM
Received 75 Likes on 37 Posts
Check this before your powertrain warranty is up!

EDIT: not 60k, but before powertrain warranty is up. This is covered under the powertrain warranty (70k on first gen Gs). Issue applies to both coupes & sedans.

I've ran into a few VQ35DE motors so far that have had oil pooling between the spark plug tube seal and valve cover when removing coil pack over cylinder #6.

In the video it is an extreme example of what will eventually happen if there is a leak that goes unchecked. I was just about to swap my plugs out at 60k and also spotted oil pooling at cylinder #6. It's at the dealer right now and they already replaced both valve covers under warranty. I highly recommend pulling out coil pack #6 and confirming you don't have a leak there while you're still under warranty. The spark plug tube seals aren't sold separately, they only come with new valve covers. See the invoice attached:

Attachment 92682

Attached Thumbnails Check this before your powertrain warranty is up!-resizedinoivce.jpg  
Old 07-09-2008, 05:47 PM
mods, please sticky this

Old 07-09-2008, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a TSB?

Old 07-09-2008, 06:47 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
How easy was it to change the plugs on the VQ? I haven't even bothered to look at where the hell the plugs are in the motor or if there is anything blocking access to them.... but if it's anything like any of my previous Nissan vehicles.... it will be easy to change witih very few, if any, parts in the way which need to be removed in order to get at the plugs.

Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep and Mitsubishi V6's are the absolute worst with how they situate the plugs on their vehicles motors. Most of them require removal of half the head to get at the rear 3 on their V6 FWD vehicles, and even the 4 Cylinder Jeep motors aren't that easy to change with the way they're setup with the intake mannifold and throttle body directly over the rear 2 plugs and requiring it be completely removed.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:27 PM
awesome info thanks

anyone else out there seeing this problem?

Old 07-09-2008, 08:37 PM
one quick question....doesn't this fall under the powertrain warranty???

Old 07-09-2008, 08:45 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Nice find man! I replaced my spark plugs and don't recall seeing any oil. I am way out of warantee, but i will check anyways!

-Sean

Old 07-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by silverg35guy
Is there a TSB?
as far as I know, there isn't.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by partyman66
How easy was it to change the plugs on the VQ? I haven't even bothered to look at where the hell the plugs are in the motor or if there is anything blocking access to them.... but if it's anything like any of my previous Nissan vehicles.... it will be easy to change witih very few, if any, parts in the way which need to be removed in order to get at the plugs.

Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep and Mitsubishi V6's are the absolute worst with how they situate the plugs on their vehicles motors. Most of them require removal of half the head to get at the rear 3 on their V6 FWD vehicles, and even the 4 Cylinder Jeep motors aren't that easy to change with the way they're setup with the intake mannifold and throttle body directly over the rear 2 plugs and requiring it be completely removed.
Yeah, it's pretty easy to change them. Check my DIY video thread for a video on how to replace the plugs.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by snou52
awesome info thanks

anyone else out there seeing this problem?
I think most people won't know there is a problem until the try to swap the plugs out at 100k

Old 07-09-2008, 09:54 PM
invoice posted

Old 07-09-2008, 09:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same oil issue when I replaced my plugs last weekend, except I had oil in BOTH far spark plug holes. I am guessing those are plugs 1 and 6. My valve cover gaskets have never been replaced and I am out of warranty since my car was manuf. in 2002, I forgot which month.
Let us know what the dealership said and what the significance of this is. My brother's Maxima has had oil leaking in there for the past 60k miles he has owned the car and it's just sitting there. His is a 2003 Maxima.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by G35er4life
I had the same oil issue when I replaced my plugs last weekend, except I had oil in BOTH far spark plug holes. I am guessing those are plugs 1 and 6. My valve cover gaskets have never been replaced and I am out of warranty since my car was manuf. in 2002, I forgot which month.
Let us know what the dealership said and what the significance of this is. My brother's Maxima has had oil leaking in there for the past 60k miles he has owned the car and it's just sitting there. His is a 2003 Maxima.
The dealership replaced the valve covers; the spark plug tube seals were busted, that's why oil was collecting in there. If enough oil collects in there, it will leak down into the spark plug tube(s). If the oil gets down there and gets on the firing end of the plug, it will foul the plug. Also, by having oil in there, it can cause problems in the ignition system if oil is coating the plug. Additionally, the oil will degrade the rubber coil pack(s) and foreign matter can easily be introduce into the clean oil supply.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by snou52
one quick question....doesn't this fall under the powertrain warranty???
+1 wouldn't it?

Old 07-09-2008, 10:36 PM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
^^^ it should... Mods can you please sticky this...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Check this before your powertrain warranty is up!