Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Have squeaking noises at cold starts before and after belt changes..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 12:47 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley
its squeaking because your tension is off.
there are guys who had their belts changed at the dealer and it still squeaking, I guess the dealer does not know how to adjust the tensioner

I have OEM belts now and it does not sqeak unless its really cold
that makes sense because the cold makes it thighter and it rubbers somewhere but when I hold a candle stick under the belt it spot after that

Old 01-10-2011, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have the same prob, one local machanic said that quite a few 3.5 nissans have this problem. he said that he can almost guarantee its the tenioner itself. needs to be replaced. i havent attempted to fix mine yet b/c my car is put away for the winter, NY weather sucks right now!

Old 01-10-2011, 09:05 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 2QU1CK
i have the same prob, one local machanic said that quite a few 3.5 nissans have this problem. he said that he can almost guarantee its the tenioner itself. needs to be replaced. i havent attempted to fix mine yet b/c my car is put away for the winter, NY weather sucks right now!
I replaced mine its still the same at cold temps

Old 01-13-2011, 04:20 PM
I don't normally post(this is my first post actually) but I thought I'd share my experience with this issue.

I have an 06 6MT with ~70K miles on it, and I started experiencing this issue a few weeks ago. I took the car to the dealership for the airbag recall and had them inspect my belts while they had it. Initially, they pointed to the belts and adjusted them. It pretty much eliminated the noise while the car idled, but as soon as I drove away it came back.

I turned around and immediately brought the car back, and upon further inspection I was told that the 'idler pulley had play in bearing', and they replaced it. This fixed the issue(so far so good) and although I was outside of the warranty mileage they covered the cost of the pulley replacement.

I hope this helps anyone with this same issue, and on a sidenote I don't really trust dealerships but for anyone in the St. Louis area i highly recommend Bommarito Infiniti-excellent service every time.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:39 AM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
I have a pulley noise that stops when I rev the engine. I think it's the AC Compressor, or tensioner.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:27 PM
+1 for loose belts

Old 03-31-2011, 01:12 AM
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts
I actually still think its the damn idle pulley. A friend of mine had the same problem replaced the pulley no more noises.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:50 AM
I have this problem too.

Whenever it's cold, or it's just rained, the car sounds like a squealing pig. Not quite like the ghetto screech coming off a light, but a constant, cyclical, whining around idle rpm. It's annoying as hell. After some driving it goes away because the moisture drys out, but even if the roads are dry, but it's rained the day before, the car will make the noise. Looking at the engine with the hood open, it's coming from the right side, so is it the A/C pulley?

I'm about reading to replace all pulleys and the belts. I'm sick of it. It's incredibly embarrassing, and it's gotten worse in recent months.

What I'm unclear about is if the pulley itself can flex and that might be causing the noise. If so, what's the piece called that the pulley lodges into on the front of the engine?

How much does replacing all pullies/belts cost? I'd do the labor myself, and is it harder if my idler pulley drives the fan?

Old 04-01-2011, 03:57 AM
I have this problem too.

Whenever it's cold, or it's just rained, the car sounds like a squealing pig. Not quite like the ghetto screech coming off a light, but a constant, cyclical, whining around idle rpm. It's annoying as hell. After some driving it goes away because the moisture drys out, but even if the roads are dry, but it's rained the day before, the car will make the noise. Looking at the engine with the hood open, it's coming from the right side, so is it the A/C pulley?

I'm about reading to replace all pulleys and the belts. I'm sick of it. It's incredibly embarrassing, and it's gotten worse in recent months.

What I'm unclear about is if the pulley itself can flex and that might be causing the noise. If so, what's the piece called that the pulley lodges into on the front of the engine?

How much does replacing all pullies/belts cost? I'd do the labor myself, and is it harder if my idler pulley drives the fan?

Old 04-01-2011, 11:59 AM
I have no idea how much it is, but i'm having the exact same problem as you. I can't stand it and it's really embarrassing a g35 making noises like wtf i will try to find out how much the labor will cost tho because this is getting way to much. I need a new car. lol

Old 04-01-2011, 01:25 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
If your belt tension is fine then you need to look into yor idler pulleys

Disconnect all the belts and spin the pulley by hand. They should rotate freely and smoothly with little to no noise. When the bearing goes bad you will know. Compare the sound of the AC vs the power steering pulley for reference.

I believe the AC pulley goes out much more commonly than the main/power steering idler.

Replacing belts is normally about $15-20 per belt ($30-40 in parts) and it takes me about 30 min to do
Replacing idler pulley at the same time is $36 (what i paid for my AC idler pulley i believe -although it was years ago) and can be done at the same time with no additional cost.

It is one of the easier things you can do - just need to do it form under the car. If you have the mechanical fan clutch it makes it a little more difficult but not much. add 5 min.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by 04G35NYC
I have no idea how much it is, but i'm having the exact same problem as you. I can't stand it and it's really embarrassing a g35 making noises like wtf i will try to find out how much the labor will cost tho because this is getting way to much. I need a new car. lol
It's SO embarrassing. I brake early for red lights and downshift to 1st in MM so the revs won't drop to idle for a few seconds longer.

Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley
If your belt tension is fine then you need to look into yor idler pulleys

Disconnect all the belts and spin the pulley by hand. They should rotate freely and smoothly with little to no noise. When the bearing goes bad you will know. Compare the sound of the AC vs the power steering pulley for reference.

I believe the AC pulley goes out much more commonly than the main/power steering idler.

Replacing belts is normally about $15-20 per belt ($30-40 in parts) and it takes me about 30 min to do
Replacing idler pulley at the same time is $36 (what i paid for my AC idler pulley i believe -although it was years ago) and can be done at the same time with no additional cost.

It is one of the easier things you can do - just need to do it form under the car. If you have the mechanical fan clutch it makes it a little more difficult but not much. add 5 min.
I'm looking at belts right now, and I'll test out the pulleys. How hard are bearings to replace? How do you remove the bearings, any experience? I wish I could find my technicians manual.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:27 PM
Squeaking noise - 07 Coupe, 27,000 miles

Hey guys,
This is the first post I am making. I have a 2007 Coupe with roughly 27,000 miles on it and I am experiencing a loud, continuous squeaking in the front of the engine, which I am sure has something to do with the belt system.

I brought the car to a local parts store last night to try belt dressing and to my surprise spraying it with that made the sound worse! However, after explaining the situation to one of the employees, he came out and sprayed the A/C pulley with water and to my surprise the sound disappeared! He explained that the sound is coming from the A/C clutch in which "clutch dust" and other "debris" can build up causing the squeaking noise. Unfortunately, the sound has come back now (as the employee predicted might happen). Just thought this might be worth bring up for those who have tried replacing the belt and/or pulleys without success.

Also, I am looking for any advice on this. The problem seems to be getting worse, and while the car is still under warranty the nearest dealership is about a 2 hour drive from here so I would really like to understand the problem before making the drive. Also, I am not entirely convinced this is really what's going on since the noise happens regardless of whether the A/C is running. Has anyone heard of something similar to this? This squeaking noise is really annoying! Thanks!

Last edited by ubiquitousnik; 04-09-2011 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:44 PM
This is an endless problem. I will have to buy the idle pulley and change it out. But the weird part is this only happens when it's cold out. In the summer time i don't remember it happening tho.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:18 PM
block heater, no more squeek in the cold

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Have squeaking noises at cold starts before and after belt changes..