Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

After market work - Dealership

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 03:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After market work - Dealership

Hey Folks,

I recently moved from DC to Charlotte NC. And to my surprise the local Infiniti dealership does just about everything from Intakes, rims tires, suspensions to Super chargers.

My question is do you think its worth paying a higher price to get these after market mods from the Dealer vs. a local shop? (when I say higher I mean 15% to 20%)

Old 10-20-2008, 03:46 PM
Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
i would say it depends on the quality of the local shops. does the local shop do good work or experiance with the vq motor? if not it may be better to go to the dealer. ask the people with g35 or 350z who they recommend for work. even better than paying a shop or dealer for work, other g or z owners may help you out.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:59 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
No, I would NOT do any work at a dealer. They overcharge for everything, and just because your dealer installs it doesn't mean it is covered by your Infiniti warranty. Any good shop that installs something should offer a warranty on the labor and parts, so you should have the covered. But, if you pay to get somethign installed an an Infiniti dealer, and something brakes on the car due to that part being installed, they won't honor the warranty just because they installed it. Take it to a good local shop that knows what they're doing on a G. I wouldn't even trust a dealer to do a good job on anything larger than a wheel install. They don't have a dyno or tuners to tune a FI install.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:17 PM
I was thinking the same thing. But since I just moved here I don't know any one. I actually thought about waving a G or Z down to ask them about a local shop but then refrained lol

Its just that I have never had any mods done and I don't know what to look for when picking a place for these sort of things. But the prices were pretty steep at the dealer.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:20 PM
Canada, eh?

I don't know a lot about your area, but there definitely are some shops over there. Can someone from the east coast area chime in here?

Old 10-20-2008, 04:22 PM
...but do you think since they deal with only Gs they would have more experience?

Old 10-20-2008, 04:34 PM
Canada, eh?

Do you mean the dealer? I would try to go to a shop that specializes in work on a G.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:42 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by perplexing
...but do you think since they deal with only Gs they would have more experience?
When it comes to aftermarket work, they are clueless.

Take it to a shop that specializes in VQ35's. If not, then atleast a reputable tuner shop.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by Canadian
Do you mean the dealer? I would try to go to a shop that specializes in work on a G.
...yeah I mean a dealer. Well I guess you guys know better so I would look for a place in Charlotte. But if any one knows of one please do let me know.

I left my G for service today. Its a black on black 07 coupe with Sports, Nav and tech package. The dude at the dealer told me that there is an antenna in the key fob which is busted and since its physical damage it will not be covered under warranty (my fob had stopped working couple of days ago). Now I didn't know this but a new fob costs $180? Man that is ridiculous....

Old 10-20-2008, 07:49 PM
your going to the wrong dealers....as i always state, i have no problems doing aftermarket work at all i was doing aftermarket clutches left and right a few years ago then the "stealership" mentality got into everyones heads. I will however tell you this that i have many many loyal people that will not let anyone else touch their car but me, my work has always and will always speak for itself i stand behind it no matter what i do.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:55 PM
Well understand but the thing is I don't know anything about finding a good place. So I was wondering if some one on here could guide me...