Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Timing chain or valve noise?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 11:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Timing chain or valve noise?

A few qstns....

1) Do you guys ever hear the timing chain or perhaps valvetrain noises? I can hear them clearly when driving a slow speeds, with windows down, and quiet outside...or specifically when you are at a drive-thru pickup window with your window down and everything else is quiet.

Is this really bad or a sign of something? I've got 90,000 miles on the car and it recently started at about ~85,000 miles. It sounds like the timing chain though. Does it mean that it is a little loose and could possibly through off the timing a bit? Or perhaps needs to be lubricated?

2) I can't quite remember....does our ignition key insert (mine's an '03) have an illuminated ring (all the way around - not just halfway).

Just recently, I've noticed that it is only lit halfway around, the bottom half.

3) I've got a SRS Airbag light for on for about ~6,000 miles. Any method via key turns doesn't clear it permanently. I can get it successfully a few times but it will come back on while I'm driving or after I restart the car. Will a diagnostic hand tool scan for error codes or perhaps clear it? Could I use the ones that auto parts stores use to check engine codes? BTW, 90% of the time it is a steady "on, off, on, off, on, off" pattern that is spaced out evenly. The few times after I reset with the key, I believe it goes into diagnostic mode and displays a different pattern which seems to indicate "Front LH Side Air bag module" issue. Does anybody have a picture under the seat that shows which connector is for the side air bag (NOT side curtain)? I want to visually check it.

I mean at this point, I think really think that there is something wrong but don't want to take it to the dealership necessarily and pay an outrageous diagnosing fee...

I know you guys hate to hear people complain...I'm just sad that there are so many issues.

Any help will be appreciated.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1) chain

2) all around

3) THEY JUST RELEASED A RECALL FOR THE PASS SEAT AIR BAG SENSOR CALL YOUR DEALER TO FIND OUT IF YOU FALL UNDER THE RECALL.

GOOD LUCK AND IT COULD BE MUCH WORSE THESE ARE ALL PETTY.