Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

My DIY coolant drain, flush and fill

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 12:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DHCrocks. I do think i have problems with my fans. They don't seem to work consistantly. Sometimes the driver side fan doesnt spin, and i have to tap on it to get it to start. and then when it does spin, the speed doesn't seem to be very fast at all. I might have bad fans. When i turn the a/c on, it takes about 5-10 seconds before the fans kick in. Not sure if this is normal. and at times only the passenger fan spins on and off when the a/c is running. Shouldn't it always spin as long as i have my a/c on?

Old 07-07-2013, 12:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just did my 03 this weekend. A few hints in case it helps anyone else down the line:
-I used two new O rings called "packing", part #21481-89900. The radiator drain plug was identical to the air bleed plug.
-I did not use rtv on front block drain plug, no problems so far.
-I did not try to get either of the block drain plugs on the side out. Removing the front block drain plug allowed me to drain about 7-8 quarts total, leaving 1-2 quarts in the engine. I purged and ran the whole system twice with distilled water before the final fill up, so I'm pretty happy with the cleanliness.
-To find the front block drain plug, remove the first piece of the stock air intake (located at the center top of the upper radiator support), look down and find the water pump cover. Find the lower right bolt of the water pump cover. The block drain plug will be ~2" directly to the right of it, and you'll need about 5" of socket extension with a 12mm socket on the end to remove it. It is easy to strip on the reinstallation, especially if the block is still really hot.
-The Lisle 24680 funnel was quite helpful in the burping, which took several hours off and on. The 24680 replaced the 24610, and includes everything the 24610 did plus some extra pieces.
-The heat from the vents should be hot enough to burn your hand. That's how I could tell I was close to getting all the air out.

The following users liked this post:
aussie983 (06-29-2019)