Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

My first oil change...hooray!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 07:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeee2
The safety points are like 1.5 inches wide. If you already have the hydralic jack on it, how do you change it to the jack stands?
i jack it up at the safety points and jackstand as close as i can to there... it's not right on it, but it's never given me any problems and i've been doing it that way for like the past 20 changes

Old 12-16-2008, 08:06 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Good stuff on the DIY Bobby Ramps do make it easier or I have used a couple 2 x 10s stacked up on each side and just drive up on these.

I take it your X is working well

Old 12-16-2008, 11:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GEE35X
Good stuff on the DIY Bobby Ramps do make it easier or I have used a couple 2 x 10s stacked up on each side and just drive up on these.

I take it your X is working well
Hey Wayne. Long time no chat. Haven't been too active on the forum since having my 1st child (she's 21 months now). Yes, still driving the same model (envy your new G... )

so its 2x10 on top of 2x10? 4 inches off the ground?

Old 12-17-2008, 07:19 AM
Hey Wayne. Long time no chat. Haven't been too active on the forum since having my 1st child (she's 21 months now). Yes, still driving the same model (envy your new G... )

Wow 21 months old, time sure flies. So you will be getting ready for her second Christmas. Fun times

Thats right Bobby, I just stagger the boards so it's easier to drive on, When I need the height I stack them 3 high..
Here is a pic installing my spoiler on 2 of them.

Attached Thumbnails My first oil change...hooray!!!!!!!-img_1457_1_1.jpg  
Old 12-17-2008, 09:19 AM
Wow 21 months old, time sure flies. So you will be getting ready for her second Christmas. Fun times

Thats right Bobby, I just stagger the boards so it's easier to drive on, When I need the height I stack them 3 high..
Here is a pic installing my spoiler on 2 of them.
Wayne, you must be a pro when it comes to DIY projects. The spoiler looks nice.

How do you get on them if they are 4 inches high? You nailed the 2x10's together I hope and your front wheels are not straight. Looks scary.

Yeah, already 21 months. The trees up, gifts on the way. It hardly snows in NYC anymore. Haven't seen a white Christmas for a while now.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:41 AM
Wayne, you must be a pro when it comes to DIY projects. The spoiler looks nice.
How do you get on them if they are 4 inches high? You nailed the 2x10's together I hope and your front wheels are not straight. Looks scary.

Yeah, already 21 months. The trees up, gifts on the way. It hardly snows in NYC anymore. Haven't seen a white Christmas for a while now.
Bobby if you stagger them the car drives on them easily. They are not nailed. You can pile them 3 high but just stagger them. It is perfectly safe. In the picture above the wheels are turned because we had to drill two holes on the fender in front of the wheels.
You can see in the pic below how they are staggered so you can drive on no problem.

Lots os snow here.

Attached Thumbnails My first oil change...hooray!!!!!!!-img_1454-2_1.jpg  
Old 12-17-2008, 09:50 AM
Bobby if you stagger them the car drives on them easily. They are not nailed. You can pile them 3 high but just stagger them. It is perfectly safe. In the picture above the wheels are turned because we had to drill two holes on the fender in front of the wheels.
You can see in the pic below how they are staggered so you can drive on no problem.

Lots os snow here.
Very interesting. But I still don't get how the wood stays in place when you start driving onto them. Wouldn't it start shifting at different angles since you don't nail them together? Also, since it's not stuck onto the pavement, wouldn't the 2x10's glide backward when the car start rolling onto it?

Are these just normal 2x10's or some special wood that are a bit more sturdy?

Old 12-17-2008, 09:57 AM
Just regular wood I had laying around. LOL, actually they are what is left from a 25 year old picnic table.
You drive on them slowly and they do not move around. Try it sometime, it is the safest simplest method I know of.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:08 AM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Well technically 3" since the finished thickness dimension of a "2x10" is actually 1.5"

And congrats on the little one.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:14 AM
Just regular wood I had laying around. LOL, actually they are what is left from a 25 year old picnic table.
You drive on them slowly and they do not move around. Try it sometime, it is the safest simplest method I know of.
They look like it's in very good shape after 25 years.

Maybe I'll pick up four 2x10's next time at Home Depot and give it a shot. How many do you use for oil change? I guess 4 inches is good enough.

Your ramp reminds me of this.
http://mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/mwramps/index.htm

Old 12-17-2008, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by SwivelHips
Well technically 3" since the finished thickness dimension of a "2x10" is actually 1.5"

And congrats on the little one.
Oh...

Thanks...

Old 12-17-2008, 10:32 AM
Wayne those woods are 2 inch thick by 10 inches wide. How long are they? Can't tell from the picture. 3 ft?

Old 12-17-2008, 10:58 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
What are you thinking....?

This must be a sedan thread, I've never heard of such unprofessional ways of doing maintenance!
The only safe way to get under your car is with a jack/jack stands, driving up on wood is anything but wise....your life may
depend on it! You drive a quality vehicle, why would you go to Wall Mart
and buy cheap low quality oil. That alone shows damn little respect for
what you drive! If you're going to do this job do it right, Mobil 1 oil and filter.
Use a jack/jack stands and plan out what you're doing so you don't make
a mess in your garage. Another point, recycle your oil and filter....always!
Gary

Old 12-17-2008, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by gary c
This must be a sedan thread, I've never heard of such unprofessional ways of doing maintenance!
The only safe way to get under your car is with a jack/jack stands, driving up on wood is anything but wise....your life may
depend on it! You drive a quality vehicle, why would you go to Wall Mart
and buy cheap low quality oil. That alone shows damn little respect for
what you drive! If you're going to do this job do it right, Mobil 1 oil and filter.
Use a jack/jack stands and plan out what you're doing so you don't make
a mess in your garage. Another point, recycle your oil and filter....always!
Gary
Who goes to Walmart and buy low quality oil? Is this post for me? If it is, go and read my first post and find out what kinda oil I bought/used. As for filter I have Napa Gold which is Wix filter.

P.S...it's Walmart not Wall Mart.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:05 AM
Wayne those woods are 2 inch thick by 10 inches wide. How long are they? Can't tell from the picture. 3 ft?
Those are actually much longer because I drive my tandem axle boat trailer on them when I want to work under the boat and it weighs 6,000 lbs.

You could get them 3 or 4 feet long.

Swivelhips is correct the Nominal size is 2 x 10" but the actual size would measure 1 1/2" x 9 1/4" wide.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My first oil change...hooray!!!!!!!