Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

My first oil change...hooray!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 11:06 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
This must be a sedan thread, I've never heard of such unprofessional ways of doing maintenance!
The only safe way to get under your car is with a jack/jack stands, driving up on wood is anything but wise....your life may
depend on it! You drive a quality vehicle, why would you go to Wall Mart
and buy cheap low quality oil. That alone shows damn little respect for
what you drive! If you're going to do this job do it right, Mobil 1 oil and filter.
Use a jack/jack stands and plan out what you're doing so you don't make
a mess in your garage. Another point, recycle your oil and filter....always!
Gary
wtf ?????????????

Old 12-17-2008, 11:13 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GEE35X
Those are actually much longer because I drive my tandem axle boat trailer on them when I want to work under the boat and it weighs 6,000 lbs.

You could get them 3 or 4 feet long.

Swivelhips is correct the Nominal size is 2 x 10" but the actual size would measure 1 1/2" x 9 1/4" wide.
Thanks. How many do you use for oil change? Also, do you level out the rear during oil change? If you do, I would think you'll need to choke the front wheels then right?

Old 12-17-2008, 11:21 AM
wtf ?????????????
This is the same guy who doesn't know much about Purlator oil filter. He started on post#3 and then got bashed pretty hard afterward.
https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...il-filter.html

Old 12-17-2008, 11:27 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeee2
This is the same guy who doesn't know much about Purlator oil filter. He started on post#3 and then got bashed pretty hard afterward.
https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...il-filter.html
haha I remember that post.

Check your PMs Bobby.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:42 AM
haha I remember that post.

Check your PMs Bobby.
Read it and replied. Thanks!!!

Old 12-17-2008, 11:57 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeee2
Who goes to Walmart and buy low quality oil? Is this post for me? If it is, go and read my first post and find out what kinda oil I bought/used. As for filter I have Napa Gold which is Wix filter.
If you'd read this entire thread that's what one member suggested.
Personally I wouldn't shop Wallyworld if they were giving their **** away free!
My main concern with this thread is that members were doing their oil changes in a dangerous manner and not using quality products, apparently
you do.
Gary

Old 12-17-2008, 12:04 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Not sure if anyone commenting on WalMart has ACTUALLY been there, but I have. They sell all the SAME oils that most other places do. AND in 5qt containers that's WAY more convenient than those stupid 1qt jugs. AND it's cheaper.

But go ahead and buy Mobil for $6.50-$7.50 a quart when it's at Walmart for $25/5qt container. I priced Penzoil Platinum at Napa vs WalMart and it's even a bigger price difference.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
If you'd read this entire thread that's what one member suggested.
Personally I wouldn't shop Wallyworld if they were giving their **** away free!
My main concern with this thread is that members were doing their oil changes in a dangerous manner and not using quality products, apparently
you do.
Gary
I just re-read the entire thread. Two other people mentioned oil.

Jeff92se mentioned about 5 quart jug from Walmart. But he was just telling me that if I were to get Mobil 1 Syntectic that Walmart have good deals on them than buying 5 individual quarts. I believe Jeff92se uses Mobil 1 Synthetic himself. I did replied him that there's where I got my 5 quart jug as well.

The other person is Doggy54th but he uses Syntex Synthetic. I think maybe he meant Castrol Syntec Synthetic. So are you saying that's cheap oil?

I don't find any problems with Walmart. I go there from time to time to buy things at discount prices (auto accessories such as leather cleaner, tire glossy shiner, etc). These are the same bottles you find at Autozone, Advance Auto, Auto Barn, etc at a cheaper price. What's the difference buying Mobil 1 Synthetic 5 quart jug at Walmart than at Sears for example? It's the same oil except Walmart sells it for a few dollars less.

I am not sure what kind of background you are from but if you are son of Donald Trump and everywhere you go has to be a high class/luxury place then ok...I can see why you don't want to walk into Walmart.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:46 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I've run into a problem before with the front garage jacking point. My car is lowered on Eibach springs, which creates less clearance of the front jacking point to the ground. Thus when I jacked up the front (with the stands on both sides) and took the stands out to drop the car, my floor jack is stuck underneath the car. Luckily there was just enough space for me to pump the handle to raise the floor jack so I could re-place the stands and then remove the floor jack safely.

So I guess what I'm saying is, when your car is lowered, your front garage jacking point may not have all the clearance needed to be raised. Instead it's recommended to use the floor jack on each side of the car and then insert the stands. The angle of the Rhino ramps is too much for a lowered car so placing some pieces of lumber on the ramps is needed to drive up the ramps without getting the bumper caught with the ramps.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:50 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally Posted by lexusk8
I've run into a problem before with the front garage jacking point. My car is lowered on Eibach springs, which creates less clearance of the front jacking point to the ground. Thus when I jacked up the front (with the stands on both sides) and took the stands out to drop the car, my floor jack is stuck underneath the car. Luckily there was just enough space for me to pump the handle to raise the floor jack so I could re-place the stands and then remove the floor jack safely.

So I guess what I'm saying is, when your car is lowered, your front garage jacking point may not have all the clearance needed to be raised. Instead it's recommended to use the floor jack on each side of the car and then insert the stands. The angle of the Rhino ramps is too much for a lowered car so placing some pieces of lumber on the ramps is needed to drive up the ramps without getting the bumper caught with the ramps.
I'm on Z springs with my sedan and I can still get the ramps under there. If you want to jack up the car, the easier way is to drive up on two 2x10s. Then you should have room for the jack to get under the car and room to pull it out when you lower it back down(on the 2x10s)

Old 12-17-2008, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by lexusk8

My hydralic jack barely fits under the front garage jack point and my car is at stock height.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rhino ramps work great, but I always wished for more height. After seeing the 2x10 board DIY, I made some but with a much more agressive angle so they wouldn't be too long. I think it's about 4" higher than the my rhino ramps and it makes a world of difference.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by TheTick
Rhino ramps work great, but I always wished for more height. After seeing the 2x10 board DIY, I made some but with a much more agressive angle so they wouldn't be too long. I think it's about 4" higher than the my rhino ramps and it makes a world of difference.
Hi,

Mind sharing a picture of it? Curious how your setup looks like.

Thanks...

Old 12-19-2008, 01:26 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
looks just like this http://mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/mwramps/index.htm but shorter between the steps. The whole thing is about 5ft long and HEAVY. It's 6 boards tall so it raises the car 12". I think rhino ramps raise the car about 7".

It's solid wood so there is basically no weight limit. I really love having the extra height.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:38 AM
Originally Posted by TheTick
looks just like this http://mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/mwramps/index.htm but shorter between the steps. The whole thing is about 5ft long and HEAVY. It's 6 boards tall so it raises the car 12". I think rhino ramps raise the car about 7".

It's solid wood so there is basically no weight limit. I really love having the extra height.
Gotcha...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My first oil change...hooray!!!!!!!