Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Engine Start - RPM drop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Start - RPM drop

Hey...just a regular (sometimes hard) driver who loves her '03 G35 Coupe (automatic), all stock, no mods, been good to me thus far. Just want to get some advice from the experts.

On a warm engine, sometimes when I start my car the RPMs start off where they are supposed to be (at least where they always have been) and then drop really low, this week they dropped so low the car stalled...I restarted and it was fine. Typically they drop and then go back to where they are supposed to be.

I asked the mechanic about it where I get my oil changes and he said to bring it back and have the fuel system cleaned (about $60.00) he said that's where he would start. What do you guys think?

Old 01-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Could be a dirty mas air flow sensor... I am no expert though. I will be interested to hear what others have to say. :-)

Old 01-11-2009, 12:56 PM
Uhhh...warning...please keep the acronyms to a minimum...I'm a

Thanks!

What's MAS? Sorry guys...I learn fast though.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:23 PM
Sorry about that, not an acronym actually, should have been "mass," not "mas." It is one of the sensors that tells the computer how much air is entering the engine, or the mass of air entering the engine. All fuel injected engines have a sensor of this type and it allows the computer to inject the appropriate amount of fuel in to the combustion chambers.

A dirty sensor will give an improper reading and can make the car run rich (too much fuel)(computer thinks there is more air than there is) or lean (too little fuel)(computer thinks there is less air than there is).

I mentioned this as a possibility because I know it is a common problem, but again, not an expert, so we should wait for more opinions... and trust me, if you have come for opinions, you have come to the right place! haha

Old 01-12-2009, 01:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
+1
clean the MAF

Old 01-12-2009, 01:25 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
search cleaning maf

Old 01-12-2009, 01:25 PM
^^^ WOOT! These are the experts and they seem to agree with me! Yesssssss.

I think the cleaning process is pretty simple. Again, never done it myself, but it is a solvent of some sort, like break cleaner, that is sprayed on the element. The element is a small little wire looking thing, almost like a light bulb filament, that sits in your intake tube.

If you don't want to do it yourself, take it to a reputable sport compact mechanic and make them do it for a half hours labor. Personally, I would try to have them pop the hood and do it on the spot.

^^Like Express recommended, search around, there is an incredible wealth of knowledge in the archives of this site.

Let us know how it goes....

Trending Topics

Old 01-12-2009, 07:54 PM
See..told ya you was a pro and just didn't know it!

Thank all you guys for the help. I will take it to the Infiniti repair place not too far from my house or to the guy who changes my oil. He probably can do it.

BTW...I love this site! A resolution for the clicking noise I've been hearing for a year that the dealership tried to tell me was non existent was just discussed!!! Unfortunately I'm out of warranty but when it's time for my service I will try and ask the service manager to check on it.

Thanks! I'll keep reading around, learning lots of stuff!

Old 01-13-2009, 03:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a similar issue, although I am supercharged. When I haven't started the car in awhile (winter here in Chi, rarely am driving my G) and it is cold, if I start my car and let the clutch out right away, the rpms drop and the engine stalls. I have to actually hold the clutch pedal down for a good ~20-30 seconds, so the rpms stay up during warm-up. I run a bit rich on cold engine starts (~9.5). I'm running 600 cc injectors, fuel return system, f-con v-pro.

Any thoughts?

Old 01-13-2009, 03:18 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
maf cleaning and put a round of techron though the fuel system to be sure its clean, i do this every 3000 miles with my oil changes:

Old 01-13-2009, 03:23 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
I dont think it has anything to do with the fuel system, I would say MAF sensor or vac leak.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:27 PM
Throttle Chamber???

So I'm back.

I'm told this is the throttle chamber going bad and it needs to be replaces as it will only get worse. $400. I'll do a search on the site to see if there are any posts about it but wanted to get your guys feedback before I have it replaced on Thursday. They have the part in stock.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:54 AM
Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
Usually you'll get a service engine soon indicator lighting up if the throttle body (chamber??) is going bad. Does your light come on when the engine is running?

Old 02-09-2009, 10:58 AM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
I had the same problem... changed my MAF sensor (under warranty)..

You could probably clean it..
try it yourself, it'll cost you $5.. cost of cleaner..
and chances of you messing up is pretty small..

Old 02-09-2009, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by djamps
Usually you'll get a service engine soon indicator lighting up if the throttle body (chamber??) is going bad. Does your light come on when the engine is running?
No light comes on. Just the whole idle thing. Since I got it back from them Saturday I haven't noticed it doing it. But haven't driven much either.

Think I'm getting a premature diagnosis???

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine Start - RPM drop