Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

car died tonight at idle....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 06:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
car died tonight at idle....

hey guys for the past few days ive noticed my car not liking to idle right after coming to a stop sometimes....after i got gas today i started it and immediately after the start up rev it bogged down and died...same goes when i just rev it up at a light or in my driveway it dies down and wants to stall out....does anyone have any suggestions about whats causing this or what could be causing this...im going to my mechanic tomorrow so any advice as soon as possible would be great...thanks

Old 02-17-2009, 06:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Could be:

1) Bad gas
2) Bad plugs
3) Bad/dirty MAF
4) Clogged fuel filter
5) Old battery

Old 02-19-2009, 12:01 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Have you changed anything recently?

If its not bad gas..

I would blame this on a vaccuum leak.

If there isn't a vaccuum leak I would blame on the TB.

How many miles do you have on your car?

Old 02-19-2009, 01:43 PM
well i havent changed anything...and its not bad gas...the car runs perfectly fine after start up and idles fine after start up usually...but on a cold start it wont do it but it will die out on a warm start up...ie if i go into a store and come out it will probably die out at first....im thinking it could be the idle air control sensor?? maybe needs to be cleaned or replaced...my car has 80095 miles on her...

Old 02-22-2009, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I changed out my spark plugs to the iridium on my 03 g35 with 84K miles. I was having problems with a cold start idle. I haven't had any problems since.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:08 PM
well i got my tranny fluids changed and got a fuel injection service done and its fine for now...lets hope it stays that way!!

Old 04-05-2009, 08:23 PM
my car has a similar problem (62xxx miles 03 6MT).

It starts to stall at idle when the car is warm. It idles fine at 650 rpm then sometimes dips to 500 or less. it's stalled 3 times now when i'm driving and the car is warm.

I've checked the battery (fine), reset the ECU (since i had cleaned the air filter) and filled up twice since i took it out of storage. It was in storage for 5months for winter.

How do you clean the MAF? I might have got it dirty when i took everything out to clean the filter.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:09 PM
Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning, Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning and Idle Air Volume Learning reset procedures solved my idling problem....give it a shot, but make sure to have the timing down as it says otherwise you never actually reset anything....took me a few tries.

see reset procedures:
https://g35driver.com/forums/intake-...-cleaning.html

Old 05-12-2009, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by Jeeves
Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning, Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning and Idle Air Volume Learning reset procedures solved my idling problem....give it a shot, but make sure to have the timing down as it says otherwise you never actually reset anything....took me a few tries.

see reset procedures:
https://g35driver.com/forums/intake-...-cleaning.html
Check your battery voltage first, too - if you don't have a steady output during the test (min V escapes me, it's in the FSM) the learning will fail. If it's too cold or the motor is not at operating temp, it will fail. Mine was marginal last time I did this set of procedures and only by turning everything possible off in the car did I get it to work - heat, interior lights, turn it all off.

Ironically if your idle is not +- 50 rpm of spec, the procedure fails, too. So you need a steady idle to get learning to occur. Since the stalling issue for me has been only when moving down the road and car is warm, not a problem to run through these procedures. However my plugs look like crap after 55k miles on the OEM plugs, they're getting replaced before I mess with this any more.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:35 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm havint the same problem. has a solution been found?

Old 05-19-2009, 06:56 AM
Fixed this issue over the weekend. Problem was plugs past their prime, and more importantly, dirty TB. Gap around plate was blocked with soot/sludge so it was killing the motor off lift. Cleaned it all up, new plugs, all good. Plugs were worn from 0.050" to 0.060", 100k miles my butt, more like 50k.

before:

after:

Also found spark plug hole seal leaks on #4, 6 but that's another thread and a trip to the dealer...