Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Technosquare ECU - Really worth the "bang for buck

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 12:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Technosquare ECU - Really worth the "bang for buck

Before I invested $500.00 bucks on an ECU re-tune. (Technosqare). -- What do you guys think that own one of these? I have a pretty decent modified car, and was wondering if it was worth it. OH.. and yes I do have the AT5, and from "hearsay" I have heard it really helps them out? Night/Day or Dawn/Dusk. =)

But yet again, no one has said anything about it helping out the G "tremendously" for the money. Anyways your thought and help and advice will be so greatly appreciated. Thanks! LL

B. Silver| Loaded 20" Iforged Rims - Flux| Pop-Charger | Z-Tube | GroundingGear Equipped | Borla TD | "Custom" Stereo - JL/Focal/Clarion \ Zex 100 Shot / Purge Light - Crawford Cats

Old 06-26-2004, 07:52 AM
Re: Technosquare ECU - Really worth the "bang for buck

The short answer is yes.

When to do the reflash in terms of the chronology of your mods is important if you want the greatest bang for your buck. First, complete all of the mods that you intend to complete that deal with aspiration (intake, exhaust and camshaft), then do the reflash.

My car has the JWT Pop Charger, Z tube, Borla true dual exhaust, DC Sports equal length stainless headers, and Stillen grounding kit. I had the ECU reflashed after these were completed.

After installing, I reset the ECU. (Expect the "Service Engine Soon" light to come on after installing the reflashed ECU. This disappears after resetting.) My first impression was that the reflash didn't do much beyond resetting the redline. But over the course of driving it for a week, the car became progressively stronger, overall a nice improvement.

Drive-ability is just plain better, and this is something that you cannot completely reduce to numbers or a curved line on graph paper.

The ability to wind the engine up to 7100 rpm (only in manual if you have an automatic) is a real plus and you will be able to listen to that sweet Borla exhaust reach a few notes higher on the scale. (It's rather like hearing one of the Irish tenors hit high "C" as opposed to someone else struggling for an "A".)

PS. There is a dealer reflash available for the automatic tranny TCU which DRAMATICALLY improves shift quality. Ths shift points are far better and shifts are more crisp - that annoying lag between gears is almost gone. It acts like a totally different transmission. This is a MUST DO for those with an automatic.

Old 06-26-2004, 09:32 AM

Tell us more about this Tranny reflash. Is there cost involved?

Luv My G

Old 06-26-2004, 09:58 AM

There was no monetary cost for me. Total time at the dealer was less than an hour.

For the 2003 sedan, the TCM reflash is version number 31036-AL004.

The dealer told me that in order to do the reflash, you need to have the right "complaint". My dealer was kind enough to just fill in the right language in for me on the service request. I'm a little fuzzy on remembering what the complaint is supposed to be, but it was something like "hesitation in shifting from reverse to drive".

May I say again, this provided a MAJOR improvement in shift quality!

Old 06-26-2004, 10:32 AM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club

This may be the TSB they performed.
<a href="http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownership/Bulletins/Infiniti/2003/ITB03-033.htm">TSB</a>
Although that particular TSB refers to the sedan specifically.

Old 07-02-2004, 01:03 AM

Is there a reflash from the dealer being offered for the coupe that helps in any way?