Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

VQ35DE Intake Cam Gear? IVT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 10:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VQ35DE Intake Cam Gear? IVT?

Hi guys,

I am trying to understand how the intake cam gear works

because i want to see if the cam actually moves position to open up or close the intake values during specific times...

IVT control solenoid is the one who controls this cam "shift", am i correct?
so does the IVT control solenoid actually gives oil pressure to the Intake cam gear, which then "reposition" the cam to control a different angle for the intake values go give more power?

Thanks,

HOpe you guys understand what i am trying to ask.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:35 PM
Anybody???
I understand how the VTEC in the hondas shifts their cam position to create VTEC

how does the Nissan work? does the intake cam gear shifts the cam position as well??

I am holding the intake cam gear right now, and i am confused... i just want to see if the gears would rotate??? i am afraid that it's stuck now...

Old 04-06-2009, 11:44 PM
VTEC actually has another set of camshaft lobes on each cam, which is completely different than the Nissan system. The Honda VTEC lobes have higher lift and a more agressive profile. I believe VTEC is triggered by rpm and the extra lobes are then engaged using oil pressure. The Nissan system uses oil pressure to vary the angle of the intake cam relative to the sprocket which spins it. So the ECU can vary valve timing depending on engine conditions. So yes, it shifts the cam position continuously through the entire operating range of the engine. I've never taken one apart, I only have a conceptual understanding of the system. I have no idea what to tell you to see if it's stuck. Maybe a picture or something would help?

Old 04-07-2009, 12:53 AM
i don't have a picture right now, let me take it later today... but my uncle is insisting to take the whole thing apart to see if it's stuck.. which is risky.. haha...