Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

How to make my G faster? Fellow G's PLEASE read.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 09:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to make my G faster? Fellow G's PLEASE read.

Basically I want to make my coupe faster. A few questions

1) Which exhaust system do you guys recommend?
2) Which CAI is the best?

I'm also thinking of getting a body kit but nothing is really catching my eye. I kinda like the rear bumper for the INGS, and the side skirts as well. But I really like the front bumper from Greddy and top secret.

My question is what do you guys think of the INGS kit? Would it look stupid to mix in the rear bumper and side skirts from INGS and put the greddy front bumper?

Also, I don't have a turbo/supercharger, which means no intercooler, so would the greddy front bumper look weird without it?

Help make my G faster thanks.

Old 07-06-2004, 06:13 AM
Re: How to make my G faster? Fellow G's PLEASE read.

A body kit would add weight, weight would decrease your performance. I thought you wanted to make your G faster? Confused...

Exhaust + intake = 0-10rwhp. That's not much at all. I bet if you add a body kit, intake and exhaust your 1/4 mile times will be slower than stock.

Read the caviot below...

<font color=blue>The above statements are only my take on the issue. If you disagree with anything I typed then you are 100% right!</font color=blue>

Old 07-06-2004, 10:29 AM

I'm neffy is right. exhaust + intake won't get you much faster. (though I don't agree with his body kit comment... you will definitely look faster with a Greddy bumper!)

search around and find the info on intake plenum and hi-flow cats. and lightweight pulleys. those there are your biggest gainers. of course you will still need atleast a Z-Tube and Y-Pipe. good luck.

Old 07-06-2004, 11:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im sorry to say that neff is right from what ive read that others have experienced with bolt on aftermarket parts.. Our g's just dont respond as well to bolt ons as other engines would. The only sure performance mod is to go f/i (which we all know does not come cheap). I would say that ztube + popcharger would be a good choice for u. They are really easy to install and give a great sound compared to stock. I bought them and have not regreted it one bit. I can feel a small difference from 4.5-6.5k rpm's also in how the car pulls. The sound alone was worth the money. My next upgrade is going to be a set of volks for the looks side of my car (not adding weight but distributing that weight further from my center of rotational mass = slower), but then im going to sell my stocks and get injen ses catback exhuast proobably. I am doing this just because of sound and whatever gains i get... GREAT! Don't expect too much outa ur g when u upgrade it because as far as i can tell.... u will not get enough upgrades done to improve 1/4 mile and 0-60 or rwhp to a crazy noticable amount. the only way to do this is by getting f/i done (and that is $$$$) I am personally going to be done with modding my car as soon as i get just a couple more parts. I am planning on a crawford plenum and new cats to round out my performance mods. I may consider coilovers and sways too, but nothing to drastic. Just remember that air in = air that must come out. So balance ur air flow. the biggest bottlenecks in the flow are the plenum, cats, and y pipe tho (prolly not in that order). Replacing just one may free up 5-6 ponies... but combining cats and plenum or all three may free up 2x as many ponies as it would if u just had one or the other. The ztube takes care of WOT top rpm range sound very well, and im hoping that my new exhaust will sound better for just cruisin around town and at idle. There is contraversy about using pully's and their reliability and such. Do a search on the boards to find out more info on this.

2004 Black on Black g coupe 6spd.... aluminum pedals, clear corners, z tube, and pop charger. soon to have 19" volk gt-c's and PIAA xtreme whites in the clearance and corners
Houston Texas

Old 07-06-2004, 11:35 AM

to make our cars faster you must go forced induction!
minor bolt ons will only make the car slighlty faster.
and how fast do you want to go? low 13's, go FI with tires and learn to launch.

04 G35 Sedan Blk/Blk
Nissan Badges
Tein S Tech
Injen CAI

Old 07-06-2004, 12:01 PM

twin turbo setups could get our car into the mid 12's i bet if the person driving knew what he was doing.

2004 Black on Black g coupe 6spd.... aluminum pedals, clear corners, z tube, and pop charger. soon to have 19" volk gt-c's and PIAA xtreme whites in the clearance and corners
Houston Texas

Old 07-06-2004, 12:01 PM

You could *easily* spend $5000 on bolt-ons and not come anywhere close to the performance improvements of a conservatively tuned supercharger.

--Steve

Old 07-06-2004, 12:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some members don't seem to understand that it takes roughly 100 HP add ons to drop quarter mile time by 1.0 seconds.......especially if the power is only raised above the torque peak rpm.
When a car already runs below 15.0 seconds and 90+ mph it gets expense...........Reliable [non Nitrous] 100 HP is over $5,000 do it your self and more if you have to pay to get things installed.

10 HP is 0.1 secs at best.

Old 07-06-2004, 01:43 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Neffster;

The word is "caveat". Not flaming, but you use it alot to illustrate your tagline (which is the best I've ever seen, on ANY forum), so I thought you'd want it to be correct.

I always like reading your posts - they are usually very informative and factual, and occasionally include your personal opinion, but I know that if I disagree, then automatically, I'm right !!

Sport Sedan Fan - 2004 6MT Sedan
Sport/Navigation/Premium/Aero; "Invisiguard" Bra, Madico Onyx Tint
Obsidian Black/Graphite & "Titanium"
SHE'S SILVER & BLACK - GO RAIDERS!

Old 07-06-2004, 02:47 PM

"Some members don't seem to understand that it takes roughly 100 HP add ons to drop quarter mile time by 1.0 seconds.......especially if the power is only raised above the torque peak rpm.
When a car already runs below 15.0 seconds and 90+ mph it gets expense...........Reliable [non Nitrous] 100 HP is over $5,000 do it your self and more if you have to pay to get things installed.

10 HP is 0.1 secs at best." -Q45tech

going by this and dyno proven results that i have seen on the boards i would say stock rwhp is about 225ish. With some of the twin turbo setups out there ive been seeing numbers around 420ish and superchargers around 390-400ish rwhp. This means that with some simple math (the g stock runs about a 14.3-14.4 range) an f/i g COULD get down into 12 second runs. I have never driven a 12 second car with 420 hp to the rear wheels, so i can not say how hard this would be, but i can imagine that with traction issues and the finesse required to drive a car like that, it would be pretty difficult.

Houston Texas

Old 07-06-2004, 03:18 PM

I have never driven a 12 second car with 420 hp to the rear wheels, so i can not say how hard this would be, but i can imagine that with traction issues and the finesse required to drive a car like that, it would be pretty difficult.

Well, with a supercharger it's easier to handle because boost doesn't come on all at once. But either way, unless you're willing to spend money on good tires (and by that I mean soft sticky tires that wear out frequently) then traction will indeed be a problem.

That said, I'm running 385rwhp and with the BFGoodrich g-Force T/A 265/35/18s, I almost NEVER lose traction or chirp the tires and I go WOT and shift at redline all the time (at least 10 times per day). Of course, those tires only last about 5000 miles and pick up every pebble in the parking lot, so YMMV.

--Steve

Old 07-06-2004, 03:22 PM

With a CAI, plenum, and Cats I'm out about $1200 and I'm .15 faster on the QM. This is what I was expecting, hoping for, and what I got.

I'll spend another $2000 on wheels and another $1000 on exhaust. That's $4200 for a sub 14 second car.

To blow your car you'll need somewhere between $8-10K, right FI guys? For those of you that don't slap one on yourselves, you'll need to pay a pro to do it, and to do it right you need to do alot more than slap the FI kit on.

So, for less than $5k you can give your car a 20-30 HP edge, do most of it yourself, and not worry a whole lot about labor, longevity, or your kharma when you remove the FI and sell it to some sap that didn't know it was blown.

For less than $10 you can have FI, go very very fast, and maybe keep up with an M3, and STILL wish you had a different exhaust, cats, and wheels...which will put you in the $13K range.

So don't compare the high end of NA mods with the low end of FI mods, it's not a fair comparison. They each have their advantages and each have their purpose. If you compare apples and apples the cost difference is huge, as is the HP gains.

So, Biggzy, you first need to state, "If I want my coupl to go "x" faster" or "If I want my coupe to go "y" faster", then what should I do?

But I will try to directly answer your question anyway.

2) They're all about the same performance wise, based on "scientific measurements" I've seen. Pick the one you like based on the way it looks, the convenience of cleaning, and cost.

1) Depends on where you want your power, and how important sound and weight are to you. My opinion based on months of reading other peoples opinions and "testing" is:

Low weight, good value, not loud, high RPM power, low RPM loss of power = Borla

Higher weight, sort of louder, mid/high RPM power, slight loss of power on low RPM, expensive = Stillen

Lower weight, sort of louder, no low end loss, mid/high RPM power but not as much high end as Stillen, expensive = Fujitsubo

Personally, I'm choosing the Fujitsubo with Fujitsubo Y pipe. I don't want any weight gain, I want good fitament, I want no loss of low end power, I don't want coffee cans protruding from any view angle.

2004.5 Coupe/5AT/Ivory/Everything but front spoiler/Nismo CAI/Crawford V5/Crawford Cats/ Service Engine Soon

Old 07-06-2004, 05:53 PM

Absent FI, the only sure fire way to make your car faster is to make it lighter, especially unsprung weight. Change the wheels so that your wheel and tire combo is lighter, and change your brakes for the same reason. Otherwise, you're just changing the note of your exhaust or the sound of your intake.

There could be minor gains, but a 3-4% increase in hp you won't notice. You may get more responsive throttle, but faster? Can't see it without doing things like changing the cams and getting custom tuning, things like that. Even then you're better off throwing in a supercharger for the same price.

A 100 ft/lb increase in torque will give your car more power. For almost the price of fancy rims and tires, exhaust and other goodies you could slap a supercharger in there and be done with it.

Old 07-06-2004, 06:43 PM

dbarnes, thanks for the compliment, fyi...

1. Engineers, as a rule of thumb (with a "b" on the end) cannot spell.
2. You catch the one thread that I forget to cut and paste into MS Word and run past the darn spell checker. [img]/w3timages/icons/tongue.gif[/img] touché!

<font color=blue>The above statements are only my take on the issue. If you disagree with anything I typed then you are 100% right!</font color=blue>

Old 07-08-2004, 12:41 PM

u should get a groudning kit those things make ur car soooo fast..... well probably not.... but there are such awsome arguements when someone brigns one up and this thread seemed to be dieing (i was joking about the grounding kit)

i think that a big performance mod that gets overlooked often is th TS ECU. I found a dealer in my area that im gonna get mine from (i have a 2004.5 so i cant get it quite yet)

Houston Texas

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to make my G faster? Fellow G's PLEASE read.