Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Kinetix Plenum: Catastrophic failure @ 80mph...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 06:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Kinetix Plenum: Catastrophic failure @ 80mph...

Well here goes:

After defending Kinetix tooth and nail, I decided to take a quick peek under my hood today. Guess what? I take back all the great things I said about Kinetix. This thing is an utter Piece of F-ING **** ---> it is cracked in the same place as the one that blew into pieces.

Sorry for the rant, but now that I look like a fool for defending these guys, I am going to demand a refund and go with a Crawford instead.

Old 07-07-2004, 06:26 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Geo, you're a very perceptive guy.......kudos.. [img]/w3timages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
C.

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red>
<font color=red>GSM</font color=red>
<font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 07-07-2004, 06:28 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

...or I got a call ahead [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint
<font color=blue>Z-tube, Pop-charger, Borla True-Dual Exhaust, Eibach Pro Kit, GroundingGear</font color=blue>

Old 07-07-2004, 06:33 PM

As an added update to those who have the Kinetix plenum. The crack in my plenum is hairline at this point... and seems to disappear when the car is warm. I went to take a picture to post on the forum, and was amazed when there was no more crack. I assume the plastic composite expands to some degree when warm.

HOWEVER, as a precaution I will not be driving the car until I get a refund and get my Crawford plenum. I don't want to end up stranded with possible engine damage.

Old 07-07-2004, 07:44 PM

Why the heck dosn't Kinetix change the material that they are currently using in their plenums to something like polycarbonite. Seems like a simple solution. Does anyone know what they're using now ?

Old 07-07-2004, 08:49 PM

Here is what the Kinetix plenum is composed of: 50% horse maneur and 10% compost along with 40% dog ****.

Hopefully I will hear back from them tomorrow, or else I'm going to contact the better business bureau to file a complaint.

Old 07-07-2004, 09:49 PM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well looks like I pretty much know where my kinetix order is going!! Crawford here i come I guess the extra money is worth knowing that it is a quality product and that it wont crack and have possible engine damage etc. Gdup sorry to hear that!! That really sucks, im looking away at kinetix now. jwg35c its not that easy to just change the material you're using like that. They would have ot get all of the materials 1st of all, then make them, plan it out, test it alot of things you have to do before releasing it. Neffster, yea it is addicting, im so close to almost completing all NA mod's!! But for a 19yr college student its also pretty hard to come up with this money! Gdup thanks for changing my mind, I could have been another one adding to the list of complaints and cracks on here. Martin

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package
Injen CAI
B+G Springs
ADR M-Classic 19's..

Old 07-07-2004, 09:56 PM

I just got a response from them and they want me to send it back before I get a refund. I think that is hogwash. I don't want to have to wait 4 weeks to get a Crawford. I'd rather just swap the Kinetix out with a Crawford instead of changing it out 2 times (back to stock, then to the Crawford)

At this point I say screw keeping a stock plenum (by purchasing an inferior product), and just let Crawford do their magic.

Out of curiousity, what supposedly makes the fourth iteration of the Kinetix any better than the other ones? I assume it will just fail in an entirely different manner unless some MAJOR changes have been made in its construction.

Old 07-08-2004, 01:19 AM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL gdup haha, it will fail in a different mannor, I agree!! I would send my stock plenum back but you cant even put the stock engine cover on it to hide it without fitment prob's, then infinitti would bitc$ no matter what.

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package
Injen CAI
B+G Springs
ADR M-Classic 19's..

Old 07-08-2004, 01:27 AM
G Kreuzer

Gdupg35,
What version is your *cracked* one???

Clint (THX723)

Old 07-08-2004, 01:45 AM

It is probably version 3, but I'm just guessing. I have only had it since May.

Strange thing - I checked it again after the engine cooled down and the crack is still gone. I'm still not comfortable with it though.

I swear I wasn't seeing things when I checked it out this morning - maybe it has self healing properties or something?

Old 07-08-2004, 02:54 AM
G Kreuzer

Ok ... wheeewh. I thought you managed to crack the new version 4 :O Sounds like version 3 for May time frame.

Did your car start to idle abnormally?
You could try spraying starting fluid or carb cleaner at the suspected area while the engine is idling. If idle jumps ... you've got a leak.

Clint (THX723)

Old 07-08-2004, 03:04 AM

I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. The crack was hairline, but definitely noticeable. The car is idling fine and running great. It just seems odd that heating the plenum up would make the crack seem to disappear. I did a very thorough inspection of the plenum after it cooled down all day, and could not find the crack again.

Does anyone know what the difference is with the v4? I may be willing to give it a try. Maybe I'm just hallucinating, because the crack seems to have disappeared.

I'll try the carb cleaner trick soon and keep you posted.

Old 07-08-2004, 03:14 AM
G Kreuzer

Maybe the light was such that you thought you saw a crack? However, regardless of wether there was a crack on your V3 or not ... it wouldn't make sense to not upgrade to the new V4 knowing V3 are known to develop crack(s).

Changes made to V4 that I'm aware of are:
1. Different plastic used (alledegely 30% tougher)
2. Center bolt-style supports deleted and replaced by the item below. (This is the source of the majority of the cracks)
3. One single integrated screw-less center post that is part of the plastic mold.

Good Luck

Clint (THX723)

Old 07-08-2004, 03:24 AM

I'm pretty positive from your description that I do have a v3. Maybe I'll give the v4 a shot, as long as they will ship it without me having to return mine first. It did appear that the center section is where the crack was developing (whether it is my imagination or not)