Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Difference between pop charger and injen CAI?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 03:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Difference between pop charger and injen CAI?

This is a newbie question, but does anyone know the difference between the two. Alot of people have said to get the JWT pop charger with the z-tube, I've also read about the injen CAI. Are they relatively the same thing? In other words is the pop charger with z-tube a completely different thing than the CAI.

Can someone please elaborate on this.

Old 07-08-2004, 03:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Difference between pop charger and injen CAI?

the injen CAI is an intake system just like the ztube + pop charger combo is. The CAI however drops the intake tip down to the front fender behind the small grille on the right side (drivers side) of the car. this is supposed to be to get colder air and more air flow. I dont really buy into the fact that any intake will give much more performance than another, but hey.. i also went the cheapest route. The pop charger replaces the stock air box and hooks up the BIG plastic box that directs air into the stock air box (dont know name of part sorry) to a metal sheet caled the heat shield that is sold with the p/c. It is supposedly to get cold air into the intake instead of having it suck up the hot engine bay air. It isnt a perfectly air tite fit, so im sure that there is some hot engine air being sucked in and the cai probably gets a little more cold air but who knows. The fact is that the gains arent gonna be very different. They are both going to sound a lot meaner and probably both whistle a little bit. if anyone else has a little more insight on this let him know

2004 Black on Black g coupe 6spd.... aluminum pedals, clear corners, z tube, and pop charger. soon to have 19" volk gt-c's and PIAA xtreme whites in the clearance and corners
Houston Texas

Old 07-08-2004, 05:15 PM

That about sums it up for me too. No practical or significant differences in any measurement I've taken (0-60 or QM times). I've tried both. Buy the one you like the looks of and if you do go with a Nismo, AEM, or Injen, buy one with a water bypass valve to reduce the remote chance of submerging in water.

2004.5 Coupe/5AT/Ivory/Everything but front spoiler/Nismo CAI/Crawford V5/Crawford Cats/ Service Engine Soon

Old 07-08-2004, 05:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol i had a friend submerge his stock airbox in water in his sedan... I WATCHED IT! HAHA. it was so terrible and i felt bad for him.... one night last school year (we're both gonna be juniors in high school) we were both driving down one of the main roads in my town (probably the most used north/south road since it connects 2 VERY major east/west ones, so its not a back road out in the boonies that floods and stuff is the point im making.... i hadnt gotten my coupe yet and was still driving my good ole 4x4 '93 chevy suburban haha. We got to a part that was under water and it didnt look that deep.. it was just a coincidence that we saw him on the road ahead of us. We pulled next to each otehr and were talking at about 20 mph through the water (he had 3 kids in his car and i had 2) and then i realized that i coudlnt see the curb anymore.... i fell back a little cause i didnt want one of us to hydro plane and slide a little into one anotehr and then i realized that he was slowing down and i wasnt ognna make it in my BIG suv even if i had to stop. I punched it past him just in time to see water come up on his hood and he was SOL. He was right by his house and although i felt bad for him, it was raining and cold and i didnt stop haha. (mostly because i was jealous of his g on rims lol... not really but ok). He had to get a whole new engine put into his car and if water had come INSIDE the car, he woulda totalled it out....

moral of the story... dont take your g in water 2 feet deep haha.... just ur submerging the cai comment made me think of that story

2004 Black on Black g coupe 6spd.... aluminum pedals, clear corners, z tube, and pop charger. soon to have 19" volk gt-c's and PIAA xtreme whites in the clearance and corners
Houston Texas

Old 07-08-2004, 06:02 PM

Thanks Raznips, your post was really helpful.

Old 07-08-2004, 11:38 PM

which one do you have to oil? Or what kind of maintenance would I be looking into for either?

Old 07-09-2004, 06:03 AM

I believe you have to oil anything with an aftermarket cone filter. If I'm wrong someone will take the opportunity to jump all over me. [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Hey someone has to "take one for the "team" right?

<font color=blue>The above statements are only my take on the issue. If you disagree with anything I typed then you are 100% right!</font color=blue>

Trending Topics

Old 07-09-2004, 09:57 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

Apexi makes a dry round filter system. I wanted to buy one for my setup, but they don't make one that draws from the top of the filter as well, like the pop charger does. The Apexi, like the Injen filter, get air only from the sides, not the top too.

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt