Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Long Weekend: Headers, Coolant Pipe Mods, and Nismo Thermostat.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 04:24 PM
Received 136 Likes on 62 Posts
Long Weekend: Headers, Coolant Pipe Mods, and Nismo Thermostat.

So this weekend I got into a pretty big project. Against everyones suggestions to Z/G users I installed headers. it was not the big PITA that everyone was saying it was. It was by no means easy but not nearly as hard as everyone was making it out to be.

Doing everything I did took around 10 hours. probably would have only taken 6 for just the headers but I had to do the coolant pipes and Nismo thermostat and figured while I was in there I'd paint the reservoir. Also the hardest part was removing the rear coolant pipe, we could have saved over an hour by leaving that thing alone.

Suggestions if you plan to do the install: Drink lots of water, eat when you are hungry. Take your time, don't rush. Don't leave things installed thinking you can work around them, you'll probably waste more time in the process. Leave the O2 sensors on the cats/headers, just disconnect the wiring harness from them and once you get them off hit it with some wd40 and use a cresent wrench so you dont have to buy those stupid o2 sensor sockets.

The worst part of this install was probably getting the damn hoses off the pipes... that is so damn frustrating for me. The scariest part was burping the coolant, right when I thought I had all the bubles out I take it on the highway and the temp guage jumps into the hot section and I freak and pull over and let it cool down. burp it one more time and its good

I was able to fully torque 5/6 header bolts with my 20" long 3/8 drive torque wrench.

Got the headers on ebay used (~500 miles on them) for $230 shipped. They are Strup, they are also thermal coated.

Sound is better, got some deeper notes out of it... Feels like I got some more midrange power, don't feel any loss. Seems like it added some rasp under hard acceleration before they are all warmed up

-FYI-
1. Supporting mods: Z-tube, K&N filter, AAM High-Flow cats, Bassani Full cat back, Osiris e-tuned before the headers (probably get this updated now that I have them on)
2. Paint on the coolant pipes was done with rattle cans, I used the High temp paints you can get at automotive stores.
3. I don't have a dyno and haven't dynoed since I got it. I don't want to pay for the excitement or disappointment that can be had by putting it on just yet.
4. This was done on jack stands in case you cant tell.

taped off and ready to be painted

Primed

Painted

Rear pipes compared

Driver side compared

Passenger side compared

Nismo Thermostat

Painted resovoirs

Last edited by sexyrob; 08-17-2009 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:27 PM

Removed grill, bumper, headlight, wheels, splash guards, under-aero parts

Draining coolant

Removed intake, upper and lower plenums

Removed driver side header compared to new

Driver side installed

Passenger side

Installed

Old 08-17-2009, 04:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cool cool.. taking a break from the light project i see

Old 08-17-2009, 04:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice work. Did your thermostat open right away? Just curious as when we did my coolant delete mod it took a while for the thermostat to open and pressurize the system even after we burped it.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:57 PM
visibiliti: yeah had a friend available this weekend so I did this while he was around. put the lights on hold... Not happy how long those are taking me but I'm somewhat meticulous. (also I baked the passenger side light and 2 led's died so I have to pull that apart and try again )

Boston: not sure... the engine got pretty hot (temp gauge went past the middle) in the beginning so maybe it wasn't opening. I drove around all day and it was rock solid the car-thermometer says 106 today so its nice to see the engine temp normal (maybe slightly lower, not sure though) Did have one issue today though, I was sitting in a parking lot for like 20 minutes and the temp kept rising, not sure if the fans weren't kicking on or what but I killed the engine and sat for 10 min, then when I drove around everything was good again.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:02 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
cool!

I need to paint my coolant pipe (just the straight one on pass side)... recent wire tuck makes that stick out like a sore thumb!

Old 08-17-2009, 08:03 PM
ill Sedan

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,448 Posts
Nice work dude.

Originally Posted by OCG35
cool!

I need to paint my coolant pipe (just the straight one on pass side)... recent wire tuck makes that stick out like a sore thumb!
I'm modding mine too Mike. Chris already did his.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:24 PM
Wow!! very good! I want to here the exhaust with that headers on!.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:28 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by CandlestickPark
Nice work dude.

I'm modding mine too Mike. Chris already did his.
PC, chome, or paint?... I'm thinking either black chrome or PC black

Old 08-17-2009, 08:32 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Good find on the header, they look good. Be interesting to see how they perform and hold up.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:44 PM
I have a freebie set of strup headers just waiting for me

OP, couple questions about the install.

Did you have to break apart the steering linkage? Most of the directions I've seen say to...

Were you able to get them in and out from the topside?

Old 08-17-2009, 08:54 PM
thatguy II: yeah I loosened the steering linkage and just slid it up and the bar moved enough to get them it, its no big deal I didn't mark it or anything since the steering wheel locked it wouldn't move. Headers go in through the bottom. It's good to have 2 people who know what they are doing, makes things go much faster.

also, I'm in the process of putting together some videos I have... took some sound after each mod...
1. Bassani Exhaust
2. Bassani + AAM High flow cats
3. Bassani + Cats + Strup Headers

Old 08-18-2009, 11:49 AM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
My jet hot coated bloody knuckle headers

Old 08-18-2009, 03:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Man looks good Yeah burping this thing is not good for the weak. It scares the pi$$ out of the owners all the time.I"M IN THE RED MAN I"M IN THE RED.hahaha Cool mod though. Glad to see it worked out.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:50 PM
ill Sedan

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,448 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
PC, chome, or paint?... I'm thinking either black chrome or PC black
You already know the answer to this one...if its going in my bay you know it it'll be chrome

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Long Weekend: Headers, Coolant Pipe Mods, and Nismo Thermostat.