Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Does having the CEL on bog down the engine?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 06:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Does having the CEL on bog down the engine?

I'm trying to figure out if having the CEL or service engine soon light on, not flashing, if that will decrease the G35's performance?

Is there a limiter or a program in the ECU that recognizes the light is on and decreases the cars performance?

I'm asking because it seems like when I reset my ECU and turn the light off my car seems faster and more responsive in the performance area.

At first I thought it was because my car was cold when I usually reset the ECU. When the engine is cold the car has a little more power than after driving for awhile. So I reset the ECU after driving awhile to see if there was a difference and oh and behold it seemed like my car performed better with the check engine light off even when the engine was hot.

Is this a psychological thing or am I really noticing changes to the performance? It just seems like the car bogs down with the CEL on.

It's not bogged down bad enough that I lose all performance. My car is still pretty fast with the CEL on. Faster than most stock cars out there that try to race me. It just seems like it's faster with the CEL off.

My CEL is on because my G is cat delete. Intake manifold, CAO, headers, testpipes, exhaust, and an ECU flash from AAM. MAX air flow straight through. So I know that's why it's on. I've tried the non foulers but I couldn't get the O2 sensor to fit because my pipes already have extensions on them. So when I add the non fouler extensions the O2 sensor won't screw on because it hits the oil pan.

Can anyone help me?

Old 10-01-2009, 07:24 AM
Anyone, please help!!!

Old 10-01-2009, 09:25 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
why not just unplug the battery and clear it if you are so concerned?

Old 10-01-2009, 02:31 PM
based on the description of your mods, it doesn't hurt your performance. I think someone else had the hi flow cats and had the same question as you did in another thread.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:33 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
If the CEL is on due to emission purposes, no, it won't hurt performance.

If the CEL is on due to engine problems, it probably will decrease performance.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:23 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
I would think that it will change your fuel mixtures. Typically when the CEL is kicked from emissions your car is designed to richen the fuel AFRs and that can decrease performance.

You should spend $5 and get some 02 sensor extending bungs.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:51 AM
I have reset the ecu through batt unplug and the little tricky way with the gas pedal and key trick. Resetting the light isn't the issue. Keeping the light off after doing so is.

I have tired to use the extensions aka non foulers. When I put them on they extend the pipes already available extensions too long and I cant screw the O2 sensor back on.

I had my ECU flashed for my mods and there's not that huge fuel smell when I was running rich prior to the flash.

It's def not an engine issue. The code is from emission probs.

I just want to make sure the light doesn't trigger some kind of limiter or safe mode on the car.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:03 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
It won't put the car into safe mode.

How big were the extensions that you used? I know most people are able to use at least a 1/2" spacer

Old 10-05-2009, 09:04 PM
I already have an inch or an inch and a half extension on my pipes. I used the only size I could buy at the local auto stores which were an inch long. I'll try looking online for the half inch extensions.

But if I already have extensions built on my pipes do you think another half inch is gonna make a difference?

Are there any peeps out there who have gotten rid of the CEL after using these extensions?

Old 10-08-2009, 08:31 PM
What kind of test pipe did you go with.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:21 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Thats weird. Most people don't have issues after using the CEL fixes like what you have.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:39 AM
Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
Go to pep boys, scan the codes, and let us know what they are. Chances are they are not what you think they are, hence the non-fouler setup you already have isn't helping. By knowing the exact code is the only way we can tell you if it effects performance or not.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:30 PM
It's one of the O2 bank codes. I'll post it up here when I get the exact one again.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:04 PM
Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
If it's signifying a bad 02 sensor (ones before the cats) your car is going to run like crap. The ECU needs proper readings from those sensors to maintain the correct AFR.

The ones below the cats are there to make sure your cats are working (catalyst efficiency)...I don't think those would cause it to run like crap.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:38 AM
My car has no Cats

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Does having the CEL on bog down the engine?