Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

U/R racing Crank Pulley vs. 350 evo throttle body

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 04:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
U/R racing Crank Pulley vs. 350 evo throttle body

I just recently installed the kinetix package deal with the plennum and high flow cats and i am very happy with the mods. Sounds great, feels great, noticable faster and im now ready to move on to getting my next bolt-on. My final goal for the car is to do all the bolt on mods than flash the computer and chlllill.........
Being that the pulley with the belts was just above 200 dollars for what some people claim to be a +5 hp to the wheels mod didnt seem bad and i ordered it right away. It lays here beside me as i read a few stories how they have messed with motors. My queston is should i return this pulley and get the throttle body from 350 evo., for a similar price. With my stillen intake, which i swear is better than stock, the plennum, and cats....the throttle body would complete the whole intake side. To me i feel i rushed into the pulley, esp now after reading posts of them blowing motors. I am one who wants to make this car as fast as it can get with still staying reliable the quikest way....

Please if anyone has this pulley describe how you like it, and anyone with any of the available throttle bodies which i do not here much about but has got to help a substantial amount give me some feedback. Its apreciated , i just dont want to see anything bad happen to my G..... chuck

I did do a search but didnt come up with much info....

2003 Laser Red 6 spd coupe
Stillen Intake, Kinetix Plennum
Kinetix HF Cats, U/R crank pulley
w\ nav...

Old 08-12-2004, 06:09 AM
Re: U/R racing Crank Pulley vs. 350 evo throttle body

I had the pretty red pulley and the 2 smaller belts. I really liked it, until like you, I did more research. I sent mine back to Performance Nissan for a full refund. 5hp is not worth the potential risk of bearing walk or worse. Odds are that you'll be fine should you choose to install it, however if you got a slightly bad engine and go messing with the harmonics you'll be SOL with the warranty.

It all boils down to Risk / Reward. What are you willing to risk for ~5hp?

<font color=blue>The above statements are only my take on the issue. If you disagree with anything I typed then you are 100% right!</font color=blue>

Old 08-12-2004, 08:19 AM

The pulley rocks and the car pulls better early on in the power band...read the 40 page debat on it and learn for yourself what the opinions are. What does the throttle body add? How can you make the hole bigger? or is it the valve weight changing that makes it respond better?

2003.5 DP 5AT Sedan
14.2 @ 97.18
Z-Tube
K&N Drop In & Airbox Mod
10 Wire Hyper-Ground
Crawford Plenum (V4)
UR Crank Pulley
Hotchkis Sways (M/M)
Polk EX-3500 Tweeters/Shock Sensor/H-Liner

Old 08-12-2004, 11:03 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

Chuck, all you need to know about the 350EVO throttle body has been discussed on my350Z.com. Hopefully their site it back up and you can register and run a simple search in their engine section. Their are specific details that are critical for you to know about, that I won't attempt to possibly corrupt, that you need to read, details you won't get here.

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Old 08-12-2004, 11:20 AM

I got the kinetix plennum even with all the speculation going on about it, and i love it.... that is until the aps one comes out.... Im gonna do that search about the throttle body on my350z.com but i know there are alot of 15 year olds sitting in front of the screen acting as if they were master mechanic and such, i see a little more knowledgeable responses in this forum, may just be me tho.... anyone with the throttle body out there?///?

2003 Laser Red 6 spd coupe
Stillen Intake, Kinetix Plennum
Kinetix HF Cats, U/R crank pulley
w\ nav...

Old 08-12-2004, 11:42 AM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"The pulley rocks and the car pulls better early on in the power band.." Exactly what sixfive said!! Its not really the notice of HP you gain, its the lighterweight of the pulley or pulley's that makes the car rev SOOOO fast, much better pulling throughout any gear without any problem's on the engine so far, def. install it!! You will notice much more than a throttle body IMO. Martin

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package
Injen CAI
B+G Springs
HPDesign Evo 19's..

Old 08-12-2004, 05:00 PM

Some topics bring out bad actor's no matter what forum your on, it's just the way forums are, the result of lax moderation if it get's ugly, things are run a bit tighter here. For technical things, my350Z.com has a lot more knowledgeable people that get the topic's like the throttle body discussed and done and in detail you will never see here, they have a much larger membership base of people that are into the car pretty hard. You will find the best info on the the ECU(some recent work here has been excellent on the ECU), cams, headers, and suspension their, providing your into where they usually lead the discussion, in detail and towards the performance end. Like anything in the internet world, you have to know something about what your looking at so you can weed out the resellers that are just pushing product and the one's that are really telling it like it is.

No one here has that throttle body, but that's only part of the reason I'm sending you to my350Z.com. What has been said their got down to business on the topic, and the discussion was pretty straight foreward honest, of value in otherwords. Usually I would have something to say in a duscussion, but what was said their is so good, I don't want to limit's the impact of you reading it yourself.

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Old 08-12-2004, 05:41 PM
Throttle Body

Chuck - I have both the pullies & throttle body & can say WITHOUT a doubt that the pullies make a more noticable difference. That's not to say that the TB doesn't do something but it's more in the upper rpm range. 350 EVO takes a factory TB & simply polishes it a little bit larger & it also seems that the butterfly valve is shaved slightly thinner ( to enhance throttle response, perhaps? ). It's not like the gains from changing from a 54mm TB to a 60mm ala small block Chevy TPI setup, however.
The pullies definitely allow the engine to rev faster & throttle response is clearly better. If forced to choose, I'd opt for the pullies. I went ahead & got the TB for future mods like nitrous and/or supercharging.

Old 08-12-2004, 05:50 PM

I'll add a third vote to keep the pulley. As Gsedan35 mentions, my350z.com is a great resource. It's currently down right now but it should be up shortly. There was a long discussion on the pulley also and the final consensus was that the pulley will not harm your engine.

I just did a Blackstone oil analysis which had about an hour or so of WOT and compression braking. Even though I had only 3758 miles on the oil, the condition of the oil was about the same for oil that has been run for 4400 miles, which shows you that I had some fun.

http://www.g-owners.com/pic_display.asp?id=695

As you can see the iron and lead readings (bearing wear issue) were below average. The only elevated level was copper but they say it's due to break-in and shouldn't be a concern.

I plan on doing another analysis after I've driven the car as I would normally in my commute. I'll bet those levels will be even lower.

The pulley is the best mod that I've done so far.

Old 08-12-2004, 06:52 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel like I should add my 2 cents in, so here we go.

I know very little about the throttle body on this car, but according to Technosquare under WOT the TB will actually close, by up to 30%. One of the advantages of a techosquare reflash is that the TB will open up 100%. TS just starting offering thier limited reflash which will remap the drive by wire system (the TB stuff), will raise the rev limiter and take away the speed limitations for around $350.

I'm not sure how much the EVO 350 TB is but I'm sure its not cheap, I feel you will be better off getting the limited TS reflash for now, and then you can pay $300 later to have the rest of it done if you ever want to remap.

I don't work for TS or anything, I have no affiliation with them at all. I feel like I have to say that as this thread is basically promoting them, but to be honest, they have been unable to 'custom' tune my car and have screwed it up more then they have helped it! But, for most applications they will be perfect.

Kevin
www.KPtechnologies.net
AIM: KPiersonTec
04 DG Coupe / VDC Memory
OEM Remote Window up mod
Procharged / Crawford / TS

Old 08-12-2004, 09:16 PM

al503 is doing it the right way, IMO. Enjoying the mod and managing the risk. Oil analysis, done regularly, is a great way to manage the risk....if that lead gets high, the problem is caught early and can be contained.

2004.5 Coupe/5AT/Ivory/Everything but front spoiler/Nismo CAI/Crawford V5/Crawford Cats

Old 08-12-2004, 10:49 PM
Re: Throttle Body

I stand corrected, someone here does have the throttle body. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Old 08-12-2004, 11:26 PM

thanks cat. I'll do periodic lab tests. At the first sign of trouble via a lab report or something on one of the boards from a regular, it'll come off.

Old 08-13-2004, 08:01 AM

Damn that limited package is great idea - now they just need to be able to do without mailing in the ecu...

2003.5 DP 5AT Sedan
14.2 @ 97.18
Z-Tube
K&N Drop In & Airbox Mod
10 Wire Hyper-Ground
Crawford Plenum (V4)
UR Crank Pulley
Hotchkis Sways (M/M)

Old 08-13-2004, 08:05 AM

KP what was the ultimate realization for the issue with the ECU resets that had you improving your times by 10mph in the 1/4?

2003.5 DP 5AT Sedan
14.2 @ 97.18
Z-Tube
K&N Drop In & Airbox Mod
10 Wire Hyper-Ground
Crawford Plenum (V4)
UR Crank Pulley
Hotchkis Sways (M/M)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: U/R racing Crank Pulley vs. 350 evo throttle body