Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Transmission went out, thinking about an RB26

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 03:33 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Any motor swap is going to cost a ton. You can build, boost and tune your VQ while keeping all the obd2, gauges and everything in-tact.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:41 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
^ Oh like you would know...

... J/K (Check you the car link in his siggy)

Old 10-30-2009, 09:35 AM
Must Go Faster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the RB is not to tall to fit asit sits lower than the VQ does. i do agree that it can get pricey and if you just want power than the LSX is a great way to go. The VQ has a ton a potential as 800whp G's do exist so it really comes down to what suits you. I am opting to try my hand at a vk56 swap, may not be the most simple but it suits me. So you do you!!

Old 10-30-2009, 11:03 AM
Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts
I just don't think the logic is there, I mean if your engine blew, getting a new engine and tranny makes more sense. But jumping the gun to do an RB swap just because your tranny is dead is a little extreme..not really sure if $10k budget is enough to go creative, you might be diggin yourself deeper into the hole.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:16 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
they guy has a 240. a rb swap into a 240 is nothing new. there are kits available for that

Old 01-14-2010, 03:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
How much money you got?

You do realize this is an inline motor, not a V motor therefore clearance will be an issue in many parts.

You'll loose stability control, traction control, ABS, and brake force distribution.

The car will not be emission compliant nor legal for street use because you're swapping an older motor into a newer car.

You'll need to use a stand alone ECU and figure out how to also use the OEM ecu to control all the other systems of the car.

The RB is a tank compared to the VQ. The RB has cast iron block.

Anything is possible with the right amount of money and skill.

My recommendation: Buy a new tranny from Nissan for $1600 and turbo the VQ.
Not true about losing ABS, vdc, and all that stuff, James Evans, owner of JE Import Performance in Baltimore, has done RB26DETT swaps into G coupes, they sell everything you need from motor mounts, duct work, pipes, fittings, they even have the ECU thing down for you. I think this is a great idea, I will admit it is fun bringing the *** end of my G sideways when going into a corner but with AWD and at least 550 AWHP, the G coupe would be a F&^%$*@ dream!!! There wouldn't be much that could touch you. I mean a lot of a street race has to do with knowledge and the driver, hell I can keep up with a new Porsche 911 here in my home town on some of the back roads, I bump into him on the same back road, with hardly any cops at least 3 times a month and at least 2 of those times we both get into it and he has never been able to pull away the way you would think a 911 would. (his is not the turbo, it would smoke me regardless of driver) He even asked me if had done anything to the engine, I told him nothing but intake. But with a RB26DETT swap (oh and you can have the 2.6l engine reworked into a 3.0l which totally solve the low end) there isn't much that could touch the G with that set up. I wish I could find a body totaled G37 coupe x so I could go about turning my G into a AWD and have the 3.7L VVEL engine to tune. Now that would be a hell of a car.....hell while we are dreaming.....I would love the 5.0L v8 and AWD from the new FX50....Now we are talking F&^*%$# Muscle!!!

Old 01-14-2010, 03:36 PM
Yes, I guess opinions are like a-holes everyone has one. Some of these guys are saying why get all new engine if just tranny is out.....well, in my 06 G 6MT, the tranny F'in SUCKS!!!! I have complained multiple times to the Dealer, if I push my clutch all the way to the floor and rev the engine up to 5k more than once then release my clutch, the pedal sits on the floor, furthermore, sometimes I have to to really force it into 2nd gear, sometimes it just will not go into second, I have great pull from a stop up to redline thru 2nd gear then when I hit 3rd it feels like there is slipage (yes this is more clutch....mut by car has 30k miles and the dealer just swapped in a new engine b/c of the oil leak issue, and they said they checked the clutch and tranny and it was in perfect condition......WOW if that is perfect I would totally hate to see it if the clutch was worn, this has made me want a new tranny from maybe day 2 of owning my G. Wish a Tremec or Getrag could be put in. It is almost worth it to just do the whole RB swap and take the tranny with it, the tranny mated to the RB26 is nice....only 5 speed....but nice.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:41 PM
? = 2B || !2B

^I don't see why a custom T56 swap couldn't be done. I've seen them put behind lots of engines they weren't originally designed for. Somewhere on youtube there's a guy with a 240 running a VH45 mated to a T56.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:55 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
^^^^ and G3LU5

If you guys could find me the stuff I'll consider it....

Old 01-15-2010, 01:01 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
If you've got $10K to spend, I'd get a different transmission with a good clutch and TT it. It will be a easier setup and the stock transmission is adequate if you get the CD009.

What is your HP goal?

Old 01-15-2010, 01:59 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just go 2JZ dont waste your time on the RB http://www.2jzswap.com/enter.html

Old 01-15-2010, 08:30 AM
Originally Posted by 340tog35
Just go 2JZ dont waste your time on the RB http://www.2jzswap.com/enter.html
Yeah 2jz is nice. But hasn't the RB26 proven itself as one of if not the best engine to start modding? Out does the VQ big time. The 2jz would be crazy yes, but a pain in the ***, most definite. The RB can be bored and molded into a 3 liter engine, and a 3 liter inline 6 that is force fed air by two turbos.....sory 2jz.....you are not keeping up especially when the RB AWD vehicle hits those twisties. The 2jz is great if you are trying to put wings on your car run a straight line and try to take off, but otherwise it is ****. Oh and the LS swap nice but wow.....you really want all that weight in the front of your car?

Old 01-15-2010, 08:57 AM
? = 2B || !2B

I like the idea of the RB26 because it's more unique, but if you're really after "one of if not the best engine to start modding" then you want an LS. Also, they're not very heavy. Don't forget, the RB is an iron block, whereas the LS is all aluminum. Also, the LS is pushrod, so the heads are light as well. And take it from someone that's owned an LS1, they respond REALLY well even to simple boltons.
You just have to decide if you want the most cost effective way to make HP (probably built VQ)
Engine swap that stays true to "Nissan" and has more to offer ONLY if you're going over 600 hp
Better swap in terms of cost, avaibility of parts, serviceability, power, and the fact that it bolts up to a T56...
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to 'push' the LS, but when you start looking at engine swaps from a cost/power point of view, it's really hard not to look at the LS.
Also, G3LU5... is your car already awd? Keeping AWD with any swap it going to be really tricky.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:22 AM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
PM andrei (think that's the spelling) he knows a tonne about engine swaps in our cars. I think he has looked into every possible engine.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The following users liked this post:
brarp (07-20-2011)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Transmission went out, thinking about an RB26