Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Transmission went out, thinking about an RB26

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 02:16 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Transmission went out, thinking about an RB26

Well my tranny decided to crap out on me. I have been wanting to turbo my G for a while but haven't had the cash... So since my tranny went out I figured why not buy a skyline engine with a skyline tranny.

So where can I find these? I used to have a website Favorited but my computer was re imaged so i lost it... Thanks for the help... Also what is the biggest skyline engine I could fit in the G? is an RB25DET as big as I can go? I really wanted to TT it, but will settle with a single.

Oh and Its an 03 six speed coupe.

Thanks
Austin

Old 10-25-2009, 03:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its because its a cd008 , happened to my z. cd009 trannies are cheap and easily found. the cost associated with swapping in an rb is about the same as building and tt'ing your vq, which imho is a better platform. more low end tq and more usable powerband. trust me, i have a tt z and its a blast.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:12 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Wrong forum bud. And please don't make duplicate posts in different forums.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:04 PM
Well it is my daily driver and I am trying to get as much information as possible. I have posted in the technical forum and it has taken about a week for someone to reply. I needed an answer fast so thats why I duplicated the posts. wont happen again

Old 10-25-2009, 01:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can fit the rb26 no problem man. I have a buddy who did this swap recently. It will take some $ though. Looking at about 3k for motor and tranny, I would suggest just picking up a front clip that way you know all the parts are included. The install will require some custom piping and brackets. It will be hard to do diy if you dont have some really solid knowledge and a great tool setup. Upgrading the turbos and fuel sytem will be a must to make it worth your while. The end result will be awesome though, also keep in mind rb motors were designed to handle boost, where the vq were not.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:05 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
How much money you got?

You do realize this is an inline motor, not a V motor therefore clearance will be an issue in many parts.

You'll loose stability control, traction control, ABS, and brake force distribution.

The car will not be emission compliant nor legal for street use because you're swapping an older motor into a newer car.

You'll need to use a stand alone ECU and figure out how to also use the OEM ecu to control all the other systems of the car.

The RB is a tank compared to the VQ. The RB has cast iron block.

Anything is possible with the right amount of money and skill.

My recommendation: Buy a new tranny from Nissan for $1600 and turbo the VQ.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:20 PM
How much money you got? about 10,000

You do realize this is an inline motor, not a V motor therefore clearance will be an issue in many parts. Yes I know its an inline. I will not be doing this myself, my local shop does this swap often.

You'll loose stability control, traction control, ABS, and brake force distribution.

The car will not be emission compliant nor legal for street use because you're swapping an older motor into a newer car.

I have a buddy that will pass me anyway. As of right now my car is not street legal anyway, and local law enforcement does not give a crap about it lol.

You'll need to use a stand alone ECU and figure out how to also use the OEM ecu to control all the other systems of the car.

The RB is a tank compared to the VQ. The RB has cast iron block. this is true.

Anything is possible with the right amount of money and

My recommendation: Buy a new tranny from Nissan for $1600 and turbo the VQ.

I would do this, but I have wanted to do a swap for a while. and I can't see replacing a crappy transmission with another crappy one that will fail again. And The VQ can't handle as much boost so that also kills the side of me that wants to keep the VQ

The following users liked this post:
virgojsr (08-10-2015)
Old 10-25-2009, 11:56 PM
The VQ can handle a lot of boost, possibly more than that of the RB. It's all in replacing select internal parts and investing in needed safeguards and tuning. You're sorely mistaken if you think $10K is going to get a reliable swap. Swapping an RB into G seems like the step backwards especially with all the drivetrain compromises you'll need to make plus you'll jack up the handling with the additional weight and the distribution in the front end. The OEM tranny isn't the best, but there are plenty of 12, 11, and even 10-second FM cars out there doing it on stock 6MT trannies. The key is how you choose to drive it. Swapping in an RB simply because you want to get a beefier tranny seems a bit silly to me.

BTW, where is this shop that does FM chassis RB swaps "all the time"?

The following users liked this post:
itsmrg35 (08-08-2012)
Old 10-26-2009, 12:16 AM
stl. the swaps Not on a G, but they swap the 240's. I know three people that have had theirs done at the shop. all are teens so it wasnt too long ago. I was quoted 4,000 for engine and tranny, is this too low and I should be worried about it? Thats why I estimated that 10,000 was sufficiant. What tranny should I go with then, just Nissan's G/Z 6 speed? I dont see the point if its just going to go out again though.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:42 AM
Is this the most confusing **** ever?

I agree that the RB is a great power plant, but 10g is enough to re-tranny with an adequate clutch, TT and tune. If you do any work yourself, you could even slide some internals in for little more.

Stick with the VQ.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by jonesmeister11
stl. the swaps Not on a G, but they swap the 240's. I know three people that have had theirs done at the shop. all are teens so it wasnt too long ago. I was quoted 4,000 for engine and tranny, is this too low and I should be worried about it? Thats why I estimated that 10,000 was sufficiant. What tranny should I go with then, just Nissan's G/Z 6 speed? I dont see the point if its just going to go out again though.
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I don't think you know what you're getting into. Putting an RB in a car like the 240 is nothing like putting an RB in a G/Z. The G/Z has way more electronic wizardy tied into most every system on the car. Putting an RB in a 240 is far easier and more direct than swapping it into the G. You'll have to refab the engine mounts and subframe, figure out how get the bell housing to match up while keeping the shifter orientation correct, will have to modify the driveshaft, plus about 100 other minor/major fab jobs. It's far from a simple swap. IMO, the RB is probably too tall to fit under the hood too. Honestly, it would be easier to swap in an GM LS-series V8 than this RB motor.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by DaveB
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I don't think you know what you're getting into. Putting an RB in a car like the 240 is nothing like putting an RB in a G/Z. The G/Z has way more electronic wizardy tied into most every system on the car. Putting an RB in a 240 is far easier and more direct than swapping it into the G. You'll have to refab the engine mounts and subframe, figure out how get the bell housing to match up while keeping the shifter orientation correct, will have to modify the driveshaft, plus about 100 other minor/major fab jobs. It's far from a simple swap. IMO, the RB is probably too tall to fit under the hood too. Honestly, it would be easier to swap in an GM LS-series V8 than this RB motor.
No hard feelings, Thats why I created this thread was for imput. The shop said they could do it for my car no problem. Now I will quetion them on this. I was worried about the fabs as well. Well will a QV37HR and its tranny fit?

Old 10-26-2009, 12:47 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
A GM LS swap would probably be easier than the RB swap. Yes, it would be nice to stick with a Nissan engine in a Nissan car... but you really can't ignore the potential of the LS, also from personal experiance owning a Trans-Am, you can get a lot more HP with cheap (sometimes even FREE) mods to an LS than you can with any Nissan engine, esp the VQ. I'm fairly sure an LS swap has been done in a G35. I know for a fact it's been done lots of times in a 350Z, I think there may even be a kit for the Z, not 100% sure on that though. Also the t56 6-speed transmission that sits behind the LS is a hoss.
If you're mainly worried about the transmission lasting, why not just adapt a t56 to go behind the VQ? I've seen it behind a VH45 swapped into a 240z before.
I'm not sure how many computer systems tie into the manual transmission on a G, but I'm sure adapting a transmission would be much easier and cheaper than an engine swap, and it will give you money left over to do some work on the VQ... that is, if you don't do an LS swap.
Just a couple of options for ya.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:58 PM
I'm actually reading about the LS2 swap righ now. I'm liking the way it looks. Where can I find an LS2 with tranny?

Old 10-26-2009, 02:49 PM
i thought u meant flourometholone by FML on the title.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Transmission went out, thinking about an RB26