Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Leaking valve cover write in campaign

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 01:19 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
Leaking valve cover write in campaign

I am asking all my fellow G35 owners to contact Infiniti to extend the warranty for the valve covers to 100k. Most people will not change their spark plugs until 100k so they will not know of the problem until then. So everyone should send an email to Infiniti asking them to extend the warranty on this part until 100k. It only takes a few minutes and can't hurt.

I sent my email through here:

http://www.infinitiusa.com/iapps/contactus

The following users liked this post:
lsmooth81 (06-06-2011)
Old 12-22-2009, 08:48 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Just sent mine in. I chose "ask a technical question about your car".

Here's what I wrote: "I am writing to ask Infiniti to extend the warranty coverage on the valve covers on the VQ35DE motors to 7 years or 100,000 miles similar to the extension recently made to the radiator fans. Oil consumption is a far more widespread occurence on these motors than it should be and leaking valve covers are a large part of that problem.

Thank you."

Great idea 5150. It sure can't hurt and who knows, might actually get something done.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The SHOULD extend the warranty for this no questions asked.

But until it really becomes negative for them, I doubt that they will.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:59 PM
Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts
Nice to see someone propose this idea, but I doubt they will ever accept it . Be a huge financial hit haha. Still I am writing mine right now.....

Old 12-22-2009, 11:29 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
What exactly is leaking? Are you getting the typical weeping along the leading edges or have the plug gaskets failed? Either way, it's a common problem among many makes/motors and weeping valve covers are common across the VQ line. My old VQ30 did it and my VQ35 does it, though not as bad. I have yet to work on a VQ30, VQ35, or VQ40 that doesn't have weeping gaskets.

BTW, it's not going to cause an oil consumption problem. That's related to the rings.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by DaveB
What exactly is leaking? Are you getting the typical weeping along the leading edges or have the plug gaskets failed? Either way, it's a common problem among many makes/motors and weeping valve covers are common across the VQ line. My old VQ30 did it and my VQ35 does it, though not as bad. I have yet to work on a VQ30, VQ35, or VQ40 that doesn't have weeping gaskets.

BTW, it's not going to cause an oil consumption problem. That's related to the rings.
That is what the problem is. I realize the problem is widespread among the VQ line, that is why I think they need to extend the warranty coverage. I didn't pay 32k for a car to have a problem like this before 100k miles. I have driven Honda;s for over 200k and never had this problem. For an engine that is supposedly award winning, this is unacceptable. Also, it is a very expensive fix, not a $100 or less. I don't know if Infiniti will extend the warranty, but I thought it can't hurt to try. This is the one thing that will make me think twice before buying another Nissan product. Yes, I know Honda had trans problems a few years back, but they extended the warranty on those cars like they should have.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:49 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by 5150DS
That is what the problem is. I realize the problem is widespread among the VQ line, that is why I think they need to extend the warranty coverage. I didn't pay 32k for a car to have a problem like this before 100k miles. I have driven Honda;s for over 200k and never had this problem. For an engine that is supposedly award winning, this is unacceptable. Also, it is a very expensive fix, not a $100 or less. I don't know if Infiniti will extend the warranty, but I thought it can't hurt to try. This is the one thing that will make me think twice before buying another Nissan product. Yes, I know Honda had trans problems a few years back, but they extended the warranty on those cars like they should have.
I guess it's worth a try, but I highly doubt you'll get anywhere because valve cover leaks are common across all makes including Benz, BMW, Toyota, etc. Additionally, the leaks don't cause driveability, reliability, or safety issues therefore there isn't a reason why Nissan sees the need to fix them. My dad's 04 Sienna has leaking valve cover gaskets (VCGs), my mom's 92 Buick Lasabre with 60K miles has horribly leaking VCG, and I'm getting ready to replace the leaking VCGs on my wife's 98 Legacy GT wagon that have been leaking for 4 years and since 60K miles. My sister in-laws 2000 Imprezza's VCs are leaking really bad. I'm pretty sure every car I've owned, both import and domestic has had the VCs leak in shape or form by about 50K miles, it not sooner. It's really not a Nissan problem.

Now, if the spark plug vallley O-ring gaskets fail on your VQ, it could potentially cause a driveability issue and could potentially detoriate the coil pack cover to the plug, but failure of these o-rings is fairly rare.

Old 12-23-2009, 02:06 PM
I guess I should have been more exact. I noticed my passenger side rear spark plug tube partially filled with oil when I changed my spark plugs.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:59 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why extend any warranty when the leaking valve cover orings are and have been a known situation for the past 20 years in Nissan and others of the V configuration V6 or V8.

Some of it has to do with the angle of o ring and the other the o ring material and its responce to heat.

Historically my Q45 has leaked every 60-80k thus resealing. In fact I just resealed las weekend for the 4th time on one bank and the 5th on the other at 326,000 miles

Old 12-24-2009, 06:15 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
DON'T FORGET TO MENTION THE OIL CONSUMPTION ISSUES. There should be a recall on all rev-up motors. PERIOD.

So Infiniti / Nissan has had this valve cover O-ring issues for 20 years? Wow... I guess Nissan slogan is, If it's broken, why fix it. Make them buy a new car. Or pay for our service.

Last edited by jibberjabbers; 12-24-2009 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the gaskets arent really that big of an issue but the actual valve covers themselves are not so good. Theres this guy that cleaned his valve covers because something being clogged that was causing the oil to go through the pcv lines and into the intake and then into the combusion chamber causing you to burn your oil without you knowing how unless you take a close look at your engine. Also like what was stated before, the rings on the VC for the coilpack/sparkplug hole go bad and its more often the #5 cylinder for some reason thats beyond my knowledge. Im actually buying new VC's, VC gaskets, PCV line, and coilpack for my #5 cylinder (due to the massive leak i was getting there and combined with the heat warped my coil pack.)

Old 01-16-2010, 12:42 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
i doubt this will go anywhere cuz a rubber gasket is well....a rubber gasket. there are issues with the valve covers themselves due to the pcv setup and oil sludge build-up.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:23 PM
kei
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just took mine in for maintenance @ 112K (05 Sedan) and was told that it was leaking as well. 1K for the replacement.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kei
I just took mine in for maintenance @ 112K (05 Sedan) and was told that it was leaking as well. 1K for the replacement.
$1,000!! well if i were you i wouldnt pay that much for the leak in the VC....thats rediculous....both VC new are about $400. New coil pack $50. New VC gaskets $25. Silicone PCV line $11. Do the math.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:07 PM
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts
damn, i was quoted $250 to fix it. I think i will do it soon.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Leaking valve cover write in campaign