Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Car won't start, AT Check light flashing, fan motor comes on - what's wrong?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Car won't start, AT Check light flashing, fan motor comes on - what's wrong?

I ahve a 2003 G35 Coupe and all of sudden it won't start. Had the battery checked and it was bad so I replaced. Still won't start. AT Check light blinks when I try to start it and a fan motor comes on. Any idea what the problem could be?

Old 12-27-2009, 07:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my at check light came on, the dealership said they didnt even know what the light meant cuz that light never comes on at all on our cars. they diagnosed it and said it was a loose ground and the light went away, but yours sounds more serious. sounds like it could be a true tranny problem...

Old 12-27-2009, 11:33 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Car not starting probably has nothing to do with the lights that are on. They are probably only on because the self test won't be done til the car is started.

Did you try to jump-start your car?

If the battery was bad, it could have killed your alternator. Battery could be drained again from this.

Does the car "TRY" to turn over, do you hear any sounds? clicking? Try to jump start the car.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:42 AM
first,

jump start your car. if it starts its most likely loose grounding or a bad alternator.

since you got a new battery check for lose grounding. if not check your alternator.

you can check your alternator by starting your car and have it run. while it is running remove your negitive terminal and if it still runs your alternator is fine.
I HIGHLY DOUBT YOU SHOULD DO THIS BECAUSE IVE READ SOME INFO ON THIS METHOD AND IT SAID IT SHOULDNT BE TRIED ON MODERN CARS.

if you hear clicks that means you might be needing a new starter/solenoid.

clicks mean the ignition is giving power but the solenoid isnt responding to it and by that means no crank.

clicks can also mean your starter bad and the gear isnt spinning enough to get the car to crank. = need replacement. go have it tested at autozone or your local auto store.

the solenoid is placed right above the starter.

if, the loose grounding & starter/solenoid isnt what was causing the car to not start then it might be your starter relay. have that replaced. its only a couple of bucks. i had my starter relay replaced and that got my car to start all the time.

IF THOSE OPTION ISNT WORKING.

new ignition switch is your last hope. the ignition switch might not be sending it enough power, therefore your starter cant get enough spin for a crank. have that replaced and YOUR CAR HAS TO RUN.

if not bring it to a dealer shop. lol.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:28 AM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
^ Good call. Or your shift selection sensor (I'm not sure if that’s the real name, but whatever sensor that detects what gear you are in) might be bad. Here is my theory. If the AT light is flashing and that sensor is bad the ECU might think the car is not in park so it won't let you crank the car. Try putting it in neutral and cranking it. Just a guess! There's always the stealership. Hope you get everything sorted out, good luck and keep us posted!

Old 01-06-2010, 01:06 PM
check the big fuses on the positive battery terminal. who checked and replaced your battery btw? j/c

Old 04-17-2017, 02:00 PM
At check light went of but car still accelerate slow

Hi having some trouble with my 2004 g35 sedan. Yesterday I was on the high way and a going about 80. The car in front of me had a fire blow out I braked hard and swerved a bit to avoid the debri. When I started to proceed on my way 5th AT check light came on and the gear position display went Blank. I turned the car of them turned it back on everything went normal. Now the car is accelerating at a slow pace but AT check light is not on and last night when I tried to reverse it almost didn't but then the tires slip and three me back rapidly. Today it started driving normal but after a while it started to accelerate slow again. Any ideas on what to do.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:26 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Sorry, I don't........

Old 06-30-2022, 11:56 PM
Nothing
Ever get any answers mine is doing the same thing

Originally Posted by gee35gal
I ahve a 2003 G35 Coupe and all of sudden it won't start. Had the battery checked and it was bad so I replaced. Still won't start. AT Check light blinks when I try to start it and a fan motor comes on. Any idea what the problem could be?

Old 07-02-2022, 12:31 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
If the fan is coming on that sounds like an IPDM issue.

Old 04-27-2023, 07:55 AM
I have a 2005 infiniti g35 sedan 2wd heated seats.
Infiniti g35 AT light.

Originally Posted by Johnnydough
it's a green sensor right by the transmission fluid checker top but it goes into your engine it's gone bad replace it and there should be hope in your car starting it only cost me 30 dollars but before my mechanic explained it to me I had researched it but my hands are to big to fit where the sensor is located. It's worth a look.

Old 04-28-2023, 12:16 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
That's a cam sensor, it won't cause the engine cooling fans to default to high speed with the ignition on but engine not running. That's almost always an IPDM issue.

A cam sensor failure would cause the engine to crank but not start though.