Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Help with Brake Squeeking.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 02:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Brake Squeeking.

Well, I have installed Stillen/Hawk Pads and Stillen Slotted Rotors. Well, under very light braking *coming up to stop signs or just stopping very slowly*, it squeeks until i hit them fairly hard. It will never squeek if they are hit midly or very hard, just when I give the brake a gradually push and slow down slowly to a stop. Any suggestions or ideas? Thanks guys...

B. Silver| 20" Iforged - Flux| Z-Tube | 6 Wire GroundingGear | Borla | "Custom" Stereo - JL/Focal/Clarion \ Zex 100 Shot - Purge Light |Crawford Cats / Brake Pro's Slotted Rotors/ Hawk Pads

Old 09-06-2004, 05:12 PM
Re: Help with Brake Squeeking.

When you run with a "Ferro-Carbo" compound, I would think it would get noisy. The Ferro part of the compound is the metal. So you have semi metallic brakes, which are noisy. Should have gotten the non-metallic or gone ceramic (my $.02).

F.Y.A.

Old 09-06-2004, 06:27 PM

I was going to buy those pads with the cross-drilled/slotted rotors, but Stillen advised against it.

They said the Hawk HPS pads were designed for track use only where temperatures were consistently high. Temperatures experienced during street driving are too low for them to work properly, according to Stillen.

Old 09-06-2004, 10:49 PM

Thanks for the input. I had one of my installers suggest I go with the ceramic pads. He did say that pads are what are squeeking. So this weekend I went back with brand new OEM Nissan pads. Maybe they are a bit softer. So far, so good.

He also "buffed" the rotors out with the hand held tool. I guess to take the glazing off. He said they were pretty glazed from the last time I came in about 1600 miles ago. He said it probably is the Stillen/Hawk Metal Matrix pads that is doing it. And like you said they are used for heavy braking all the time. (Only time they did not make any noise). Also he did say if they still happen that you can soak the pads in something for awhile to help soften them up. This time I did not do any break in crap. I am just driving the car like I would everyday.

B. Silver| 20" Iforged - Flux| Z-Tube | 6 Wire GroundingGear | Borla | "Custom" Stereo - JL/Focal/Clarion \ Zex 100 Shot - Purge Light |Crawford Cats / Brake Pro's Slotted Rotors

Old 09-07-2004, 04:13 AM

You should bed the brakes though. It will match the pads to the rotors.

F.Y.A.

Old 09-07-2004, 02:06 PM

Could you please explain bedding the brakes and how it is done?

Old 09-07-2004, 03:14 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Take them off your car, out to a movie and maybe a nice dinner. Bring them back home.....[img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

There are various methods. I think there is a post in FAQ.
What I normally do is to take the car out on the highway. Accelerate to about 60, lightly press the brake pedal and slow down to about 30. Repeat about 4-5 cycles.

A guy that used to race told me about 25 years ago and I've been doing it ever since. Says there are less problems with brake squeal, and the pads last longer, and can result in better performing brakes. It's important to do this with new pads/rotors, prior to a 'panic' brake situation where you slam on the brakes. Something about little bits and chunks breaking off the pads, etc. which causes the problems. Maybe someone else can clarify.

<font color=blue>[i]GroundingGear™ Equipped </font color=blue>

Old 09-08-2004, 10:55 AM

One thing we do to help prevent squealing of Harley brakes is to chamfer the leading edge of the pads. The leading edge cotacts the rotor face first and can set up a harmonic vibration that you hear as a squeal. By slightly chamfering or rounding the front edge of the pad with a Dremel that will be greatly reduced. Worth a try.

Mark

2003 Sedan AT. Ivory Pearl/ Willow
20% tint. Z-tube. Clear Corners w/ PIAA.
Aluminum Pedals

Old 09-08-2004, 01:53 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most car pads are already champered on leadinng and trailing edge.

Ceramic pads are good cold but they loose friction above 550-600F and wear rates show dramatic increases above 500F.
http://www.akebonobrakes.com/company...ramic_tech.pdf

Old 09-08-2004, 05:20 PM

I reread your post and was unable to fingure out exactly what pads you had, You made a reference to Hawk and then to Metal Matrix glazing your rotors.

Stillen makes/sells two different pads. The Stillen Hawk HPS is the track version designed for racing where brake temperatures are consistently very high.. The Stillen Metal Matrix is designed for street use where brake temperatures are lower.

Exactly which pad was causing the squeeking and which pad was glazing the rotors?

Old 09-10-2004, 12:25 PM

I am 90% sure I had the Stillen Hawk HPS pads. I would have to call my dealer really to find out. Slept since then.....

B. Silver| 20" Iforged - Flux| Z-Tube | 6 Wire GroundingGear | Borla | "Custom" Stereo - JL/Focal/Clarion \ Zex 100 Shot - Purge Light |Crawford Cats / Brake Pro's Slotted Rotors/