Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

SoCal Dyno Day Results

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 03:04 PM
G Kreuzer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: SoCal Dyno Day Results

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

these numbers seem more than 10-15 over dynojet numbers, theres no way a stock g35 is doing 250+ to the wheels stock....... well it did im just saying it seems a little steep.....

<hr></blockquote>
This one's certainly open to interpretation. I am however simply going by the Dyno tech's observation and experience over many years.

None the less, it does seems reasonable to me. A typical 6mt 350Z will on the average dyno 255 hp on a Dyna Pack, so Ken's 259.x is not unreasonable. If you believe 245 hp as a norm for Zs on a DynoJet, then 10-15hp is once again fairly realistic. I dyno'd 241.x at a DynoJet and 251.x on a Dyna Pack back when I had simple exhaust mods. That equates to a 10hp differential. Once I'm done moding my car very shortly ... I will cross reference yet again by going to a DynoJet. We'll see if the 10-15hp still stands.

Clint (THX723)

Old 09-13-2004, 03:25 PM

Do you guy with the bolt ons believe that your mods are junk or that the dyno cofirms they are a waste of money? Just wondering the opinions of the guys who spent the time and money at the dyno-day...If there are people who think a plenum won't add significant gains for 400 bucks then why haven't we confiscated their cars?

2003.5 DP 5AT Sedan
14.2 @ 97.18
Z-Tube
K&N Drop In & Airbox Mod
10 Wire Hyper-Ground
Crawford Plenum (V4)
UR Crank Pulley
Hotchkis Sways (M/M)
Polk EX-3500 Tweeters/Shock Sensor/H-Liner

Old 09-13-2004, 03:33 PM

i'm pretty sure it was in third, the stick was leaning/pointing towards front of vehicle...........thanks for updating.

04 6mt Sedan / stock airbox mod / z-tube / k&n panel filter / crank pulley / 18" r/h c2s / s-tein springs

Old 09-13-2004, 03:36 PM
E_K
Location: Toh-rensa,Ahteesia,Ahcadia,Montree Pak, Longa Beacha
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Clint, I took a look at your previous dynos on Reseda and at Church with the same mods. As you know I'm also an excel dyno analysis junkie. Basically, if you break it down by 100 RPM increments, your Church dyno was anywhere from 5 to 15 HP over the Reseda dyno. The average difference is about 10 HP.

There's another dyno day link on my350z.com in the Socal section for dyno runs for $50 in Torrance. If you're interested in going to that one, let me know.

Old 09-13-2004, 04:03 PM
G Kreuzer

Yup ... I've made the same analysis and came up with the same result. 10-15 hp differential appears to be the case with the data I have. I'm won't give it my seal of approval just yet until I can re-confirm the numbers with a 2nd DynoJet comparo ... simply because I'd hate to mis-lead the others.

Yes, I think I would be interested in the DynoJet in Torrance. I'll look it up at My350Z.com. We'll hook up again.

Clint (THX723)

Old 09-13-2004, 04:16 PM

Great job on the successful dyno day guys. Good to see that everything went well with a big turnout. The results surely speak for themselves and for the most part confirm or at least provide some support on theories/conclusions we have all speculated on from the previous Norcal and Central Fla dyno days. Clint, your numbers look really good with all of your intake and exhaust mods. That's probably the way I would go as well to gain power in NA fashion without spending too much money (relatively). It seems that the addition of the plenum, headers, and test pipes are really freeing up the flow and gives you some sizeable gains.

04' G35S 6MT Ivory Pearl, Willow, Premium
Z-Tube / NFC Y-Pipe / Custom Mid-Pipe / 350 EVO Rear Sway/ '03 350Z Shocks and Springs

Old 09-13-2004, 05:10 PM

I would like to point out one thing, which may help when comparing the Central FL results to the SoCal Results.

SoCal Dyno Day: BONE STOCK, 2003.5 G35C-6MT (using a Dyna Pack)
259.1 rwhp & 254.7 rwtq

Cent.FL Dyno Day: BONE STOCK, 2004 G35C-6MT (using a Dyno Jet)
229.7 rwhp & 222.6 rwtq

That's a difference of 29.4 rwhp & 32.1 rwtq when comparing 2 different bone stock 6MT Coupes. So when comparing the results keep this difference in mind. While the 10-15 hp difference between the two-dyno types may be accurate under normal circumstances (I really have no clue) the delta here is clearly a lot higher. I also think it is fair to point out that there were several people who had aftermarket 19" wheels at our dyno day, so this might have led to them reporting slightly lower numbers as well, how much I could only guess. Just something else to consider…

Again, excellent write up! Thanks for taking the time to post this. Again, this should definitely be a sticky!!!

Old 09-13-2004, 07:59 PM

That Dynopak is one flattering dyno.

***04 G35s 5AT/Sport***
***04 Volvo XC90 T6***

Old 09-13-2004, 08:44 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

good job guys...

yeah, the Dynapack is a very, very flattering dyno

those number are pretty high up there, even after the correction factor. So Cal must have gotten a good batch of engines.

how the hell do you explain a stock 6MT pulling almost 260 HP? Even after subtracting 15 HP, you're talking 245 HP at the wheels if measured on a DynoJet, STOCK!!!

if you multiply the numbers by 1.22 (theoretical constant from previous dynos), you're talking almost 299 HP at the crank. Looks like they might have slipped an '05 engine in this coupe on accident

going along with Neffster, a stock 6MT dynoed on a DynoJet 224X during the Golden Gate G35 Dyno Day pulled a best 230 HP/ 233 lb/ft. Another coupe with only a JWT Popcharger, Z-tube and grounding kit pulled 236 HP/ 227 lb/ft.

am I being too skeptical? or maybe I'm just really, really jealous

Golden Gate G35 Club

Old 09-13-2004, 08:56 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

another direct comparison can also be made using Andy's numbers because he was present for both the Nor Cal and So Cal dyno day.

there were some factors affecting Andy's Nor Cal numbers, but after adding higher octane gas, he pulled a best 248 HP/ 238 lb/ft.

compare that to his So Cal numbers of 269.6 HP / 259.7 lb/ft

you're talking a difference of 21.6 HP and 21.7 lb/ft of torque.

but even when factoring a conservative 20 HP correction factor, Ken's (DiamondG) STOCK Coupe is pulling close to 240 HP at the wheel.

Golden Gate G35 Club

Old 09-13-2004, 10:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Clint,
I thought I hit 264hp eh? Ted was my witness... [img]/w3timages/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Excellent job bro for putting all this together

Btw, I thought 6mt were dynoed in 5th gear? no? I must be tripping.

Reggie

"Is simplicity best or simply the easiest"

Old 09-14-2004, 01:06 AM

Clint, you're a brave man running SOOOO lean! Do you have a header bung - is that why your A/F number are so much higher than stock (everybody else measuring at the tailpipe)? How long did it take to do your runs, car-to-car? It looks like removing both wheels and jacking the car up is a real PITA - certainly can't be as fast as a DynaJet (just drive on and strap down).

2004.5 G35 Sedan | Garnet Fire + Willow | 6MT | Z-Tube, K&N panel | Stillen Cat-Back

Old 09-14-2004, 03:26 AM
G Kreuzer

Nope ... measured from the tail-pipe just like everyone else. If those figures were from the pre-cat location, then surely the engine would have grenaded by now because tail-pipe sample area tends to read higher.

But good point anyhow, which is why I now have the technosqaure ECU We're still fine tuning the AF to my liking, but so far ... another mod that went down good for me. I have removed the resonated test pipes (that was for show during dyno day) and reverted back to the stock cats ... losing approx. 10hp in the process. Since the ECU mod, I've gained back those 10hp

Clint (THX723)

Old 09-14-2004, 05:43 AM

drsifu1,
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

if you multiply the numbers by 1.22 (theoretical constant from previous dynos), you're talking almost 299 HP at the crank.

<hr></blockquote> The 1.22 correction factor was calculated for the Central Florida Dyno Day (CFDD) and DOES NOT apply for the SoCal Dyno Day (SCDD). This number is not a constant, rather a calculation based on Nissan's 280bhp claim compared to what the stock 6MT Coupe actually dynos at the end of the drive train.

For comparison purposes, let's take Clints car (since his numbers are the most impressive of the NA cars [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]) and compare it to Ken's stock 6MT.

Ken dynoed 259.1 rwhp. When comparing that to Nissan's claim of 280 bhp you can derive the following:

(1 - 259.1 / 280) * 100% = 7.46%.

This means that there is a 7.46% paracitic loss from the drivetrain on the Dyna Pack Dyno (much different than the ~18% loss seen on the Dyno Jet at the CFDD).

Now let's figure out how that applies to Clint's car so that we can have a DIRECT COMPARISON to the CFDD results:

1 / (1 - .0746) = 1.08 Correction Factor

(a far cry from the 1.22 Correction Factor determined by the CFDD)

So, take clints 281.5 rwhp and multiply that by 1.08:

281.5 * 1.08 = 304.2 bhp

These results are now in line with the CFDD numbers. Clint can now claim to be a proud member of the 300 bhp club, and may not only be a client, he may be the club president. [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

As a smart man once told me "...the nature of man (all people) is rooted in pride. We like compliments and things that make us look good. If something makes us look good and someone else challenges it, that person becomes an adversary, ie. will be attacked."

I sure hope this post is not seen as "challenging" or me being an "adversary". I just want for people to be able to take these AWESOME results and use them for comparison purposes when choosing which mods they may or may not want to buy. Hopefully my post will be taken the right way by everyone.

So when comparing the SoCal Dyno Day results to any other dyno day, make sure to multiply the rwhp number by 1.08 and you'll be able to more accurately see how mods like ECU reflashes and various intakes actually stack up!

Old 09-14-2004, 07:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My $0.02: I mean no offense to anyone but that particular Dynapack is poorly calibrated. It's OBVIOUS from looking at the numbers.

Don't blame this on the Dynapack system, blame it on that particular shop for having poor calibration!! I have done *extensive* dyno comparisons between two Dynojets and a Dynapack in my area and they are extremely close as far as number go. If anything, the Dynapack numbers are lower.

As soon as I get everything dialed in on my car I'm going to do my own Dyno day (multiple dynos at different shops in the same day) and post the results.

--Steve

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SoCal Dyno Day Results