Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

SoCal Dyno Day Results

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 09:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: SoCal Dyno Day Results

With all due respect to everyone involved, these results appear unrealistically high, and very much so.

Just yesterday, I spoke to a DynaPack operator who has a new dyno, only a month or two old. He recently dynoed a stock G35 at 207 WHP. This number is consistent with previous results I have seen for stock G35's and suggests that the dyno on which this chart was generated may be reading on the order of 18% - 20% high.

I for one would like to see these numbers backed up with quarter mile times with only two stipulations - no correction factors and no excuses.

If these numbers are correct, several of these vehicles should clearly turn in the 13's. If they do, congratulations in advance!

Old 09-14-2004, 02:04 PM
G Kreuzer

Dyno results are rarely received without contraversies and this one is no different.

Neffster has the right idea about looking at the 'delta' between all the cars. As another point of reference, my friend's bone stock 6mt 350Z dyno'd 255 hp on the same dyno.

So the real questions to you all is what is an acceptable output for a stock 6mt 350Z on a DynoJet? 245? 235? or how about 225? If you choose 245, then +10hp conversion is within reason. However, I have seen stock 6mt 350Z dyno 225 on a DynoJet as well, in which case +10 is much too low of an offset by a long shot. This is why comparing different dyno is just a bad idea to begin with.

It is however safe to bet that any car that have come within the range or exceed 260 on this particular dyno should be proud of themselves, as they have reached or surpassed approx. 287 hp at the crank (+/- 3%).

As previously mentioned ... once my car's squared away, I will be getting onto a DynoJet for cross reference. So be patient friends

Finally, dynamometers are better used as a tool to monitor performance modification progressions rather than to tell what the absolute number is. So my advice to all is to find a good dyno shop you and trust and like and just stick with it. You'll be doing just fine then.

Here's my progression ...

Bone Stock --> Exhaust/Intake --> Plenum --> Test Pipes -> Headers (shown in the dyno day website).

Clint (THX723)<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by THX723 on 09/14/04 11:23 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 09-14-2004, 03:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based on the many posts I've read on the Z forums, I think 235rwhp is "typical" for a stock 6MT 350Z on a DynoJet, give or take a few HP. I think the median for the 5AT is probably 5-7 HP less than that.

I totally agree with your assessment of what dyno numbers are good for, Clint (i.e. measuring your car against itself as your modifications progress).

--Steve

Old 09-14-2004, 04:28 PM

my 5AT must have been one of the weaker ones from the factory - I only pulled 212hp stock... but after all of my mods done thus far, I was able to pull 235hp (23hp increase) - keep in mind this was in the hot Texas heat... Pro-1 headers are on the way, so we'll see if they can get that number a little higher - I'm shooting for 250 after headers/TS reflash...

2003.5 BS coupe 5AT
Clear Corners, Alum. Pedals, Pro-1 Intake, Resonated Test Pipes, UR Pulley, CF Engine Cover, GReddy EVO II, Kinetix Plenum, Hotchkis Sways

Old 09-14-2004, 05:58 PM

Clint,
Thanks for posting your progressive dynos. Good info.

'04 6MT coupe

Old 09-14-2004, 10:30 PM

Great Job Clint... great job!

Didn;t see the thread until now! Thanks for doing all this.

Gurgen

Old 09-15-2004, 08:11 PM

Actually, I'm really not sure what to take away from this dyno day. There are some numbers that doesn't make much sense to me.

There are sedans with very similar mods that made over 20hp less than I did. (The site says I have a plenum, but I do not) The difference between Reggie's 6MT and my 6MT sedan is the Technosquare ECU and Stillen vs. Fujitsubo exhaust.

Ken's bone stock coupe made 20 more hp than David's coupe with exhaust, CAI, and plugs (<-maybe the cause?).

Clint, thanks again for having me down there. You did a great job with the dyno day; thanks for your hard work.

Old 09-16-2004, 12:23 AM
G Kreuzer

Chenag,
Looks like I made a boo boo there. I've updated the web page and removed the plenum (that you never had) from your column. It was also a pleasure to have you join us. Too bad you were not able to stick around longer and hang out w. us for dinner.

Clint (THX723)

Old 09-16-2004, 12:36 AM
G Kreuzer

Maybe the fact you and I have pre-ULEV2 ECU have something to do w. it (compare to Reggie's)??? ... hard to say!

Clint (THX723)<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by THX723 on 09/15/04 09:37 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 09-16-2004, 05:34 AM

chenga,

It could also be that your CAI *might* be hidden behind your bumper and any fan/air used on the dyno did not simulate real world scenarios. In both the "Golden Gate DD" and the "Central FL DD" the CAI's didn't fare too well either.

Also, I didn't check to see what type of CAI you have but the Injen CAI's in particular are what I'm talking about.

Old 09-16-2004, 05:55 AM

I actually don't have a CAI. I did the stock airbox mod (removing the resonator and power duct).

Clint, the ULEV-2 might affect things. Barry up north noticed that his A/F curve was much different (leaner) from the pre-ULEV2 cars. The techs agreed that running leaner is an easy way to clean up emissions.

Old 09-16-2004, 12:48 PM
G Kreuzer

Out of curiousity, I had Danny at TS check my stock ECU ignition map against a stock 6mt 350Z ECU and was told *all three maps* were identical. I'm not certain if that's also the case for post-ULEV2 (after 10-2003 prodouction date) versions of the 6mt ECU. In contrast, the stock AT ECU maps were much less aggressive across all three maps.

Clint (THX723)

Old 09-16-2004, 02:24 PM

That's very interesting! So, perhaps we now know why the 6MTs in 2005 are being advertised has having more hp than the autos??? As chenga stated, we saw some differences between ULEV and ULEV2. My (ULEV2) car actually detonates quite a bit at lower RPM, running 91 pump. That said, I'm still not as lean as your readings Clint. The TS A/F mods. were really apparent with chenga. He had a nice, flat A/F above 3500 if I remember correctly. I'd love to do the TS mod. (assuming they get a ULEV2 version working), BUT, given what's happening to Skeleton_Cru at our local dealer (engine failure thread - sedan forum), I would be worried that would be grounds for Infiniti to void the warrantee if I had some serious failure. If they're going to the trouble to tear-down Cru's engine to diagnose the cause, they could CERTAINLY detect an ECU mod. Despite what TS may claim, I strongly suspect that, if the dealer is on the lookout for it, they can simply check the flash checksum/CRC and see that the code is not stock!!! It's a real shame that Infiniti/Nissan are such PITAs about this. Mopar actually provides OEM modified "performance" ECUs which do NOT void your warrantee. There is no technical reason that a bit of timing advance should lead to engine failure since the knock sensor input should still retard timing in the case of too much detonation. The Mopar ECUs simply provide a more aggressive map which is really only benefitial when running race fuel (or octane boost). That's still a nice option for AutoX or track days - even though it's irrelevant for daily driving. It looks like our only "safe" hope might be the Stillen in-line box - if it's ever released. That could be removed prior to EVERY dealer service visit...

2004.5 G35 Sedan | Garnet Fire + Willow | 6MT | Z-Tube, K&N panel | Stillen Cat-Back

Old 09-17-2004, 04:18 AM

exagorazo - we'd love to give you some 1/4 mile runs (which you can find here under Tech/Mods: Top 5 sedans and coupes

However, those of us in SoCal are stuck with a 1/8 mile track at sea level, or the 1/4 at LACR which is on the high desert (2600' above sea level and an average of 95 degrees) you will see we never make excuses, we're just out to have fun.

I'm still waiting for someone to beat my 1/4 mile time with 4 adults!

As far as consistency on the Dynos, my sedan put out 247 on Stillen's dynajet and 264 on Church's dynapak for an approx 7% "gain". The only difference was that at Stillen's Dyno day i had just gotten the ECU done by TS the day before. On the Church's day, I had not driven the car for 3 weeks and the last time I was in it I had reset the ECU and run the whole night at LACR.

-T

'03.5 Sedan 5a: BS/G, Prem, Aero/Body, Sport, Nav
Click for MODS - www.teamtransport.org