Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

PULLEY UPDATE miles/problems?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: PULLEY UPDATE miles/problems?

I had a set of Ultra Racing installed, and I caanot solve the squeaking problem with mine. I had a replacement pulley exchanged with no change. I have had them for over 8 months. I am about ready to give up and put the OEM back. Any suggestions?

Old 09-21-2004, 12:11 AM

squeeky belts can come from 2 sources I know of:
1. the belts aren't tight enough, or
2. you got some dirt or grease on the belts or on the pulley itself.

I'm sure that you've tried tightening the belts. They should be on pretty darn tight. When installing the pulley, it's easy to get your hands dirty. I made sure that after I put the pulley on, I wiped it down thoroughly.

I would try a new set of belts. After you take the old ones off, take a clean rag with some type of degreaser and wipe it down well. Install the new belts and put it in tight. If you have access to a bud's G, go into the engine bay and push on the belts and get a good feel for how tight they are. After you put the new belts on, tighten them until they are about the same tension. Good luck.

Old 09-21-2004, 01:19 PM

Thanks for the input. I've had 3, (or is it 4 now?) sets of belts, and 2 crank pulley's so far. I've tried slickeners, and brake cleaner fluid as well to clean them. I've tightened them as well.
Is anyone aware of any other hard luck cases such as this? Is there any other manufacturer out there with a set of pulley's that I can attempt to install as an alternative choice?
By the way, I've had Stillen install the Cold Air box, Sway Bars, and their dual exhaust so far. Everything else performs great. If only I can get rid of that darn squeaking...

Old 09-21-2004, 01:56 PM

This is the first time I've ever heard of squeeking despite taking those corrective measures. Is it a constant squeek or is it just at start-up?

Old 09-21-2004, 02:04 PM

It takes no more than 5-10 minutes generally to begin making noise. Then it gets progressively louder very quickly. Sounds like I'm driving an old clunker.

Old 09-21-2004, 02:52 PM

Sounds like your belts are "glazed" which occurs when a belt has regularly slipped in the past. The only way to make it go away for good is "new" belts (properly sized) and tightened to OEM "new belt" spec. You should use a tension gauge. A cheap version can be bought from any NAPA auto "KR2". See link

http://www.hmc-international.com/krikit.htm

Old 09-21-2004, 04:56 PM

what size belts are you using? are you reaching the point where you can't tighten them anymore with the stock adjustment pulleys?

Old 09-28-2004, 12:57 PM

Each time I've had them replaced ( By Stillen) , they seemed to be progresively smaller sized? They would act upon removing the old one as if the existing belt hab been too large, but when they would put it on initially, it seemes smaller?

Old 09-29-2004, 01:49 AM

I had to live with a squeaky belt for 2 years on my first ride when I was 16. Sometimes the belt would be too tight, sometimes the belt would be too loose. Either way, it squealed and squeaked all the time.

Try using some belt dressing, that always worked for me. It will get messy under the hood, but it should quiet down the engine bay considerably. I found my cans of belt dressing at Canadian Tire, a sort of hardware/automotive/gardening department store in Canada in the automotive additive/accesories section, right next to those bottles of fuel injector cleaners, throttle body cleaners, and various bottles of Slick 50 and duralube additives.

link91
04 G35 Coupe -- Ivory Pearl
97 Lincoln Continental 4.6 DOHC (retired)
93 Ford Crown Victora, Police Interceptor (retired)

Old 10-01-2004, 09:14 PM

This is a great thread. As far as I can remember, and I do read everything here, I have never actually seen someone make a post about having problems as a result of pullies.

The closest thing, was Q45tech mentioning that he's seen 2 such problems in his shop... which counts for alot in my books but still, cheap power is very tempting and if the chances of problems is really small then I am still considering it.

<font color=blue> 2004 6MT Coupe </font color=blue>

Old 10-02-2004, 12:43 AM

It'd be one thing if it was q45tech but it wasn't. It was a guy named infinitech who came on the boards for a while and has since disappeared.

I still haven't heard anything from a forum regular on any of the boards (maxima, 350z, g35, etc) of a failure. Until then, I'll enjoy the pulley.

Old 10-02-2004, 04:36 PM

hi guys,
i am planning on getting the pulley also but don't know which one to get. should i get just the crank only or the complete set? do i need to buy the belt or not? is the belt shorter or longer than the stock? thanks

03 G35 Sedan/5AT/Ivory Pearl/Willow/Navi/Premium/Aero/Body Kit&Spoiler/Greddy Cat-back Exhaust/Injen CAI/Ground Wires Kit/Clear Corner

Old 10-02-2004, 06:49 PM

I got the whole set from Stillen about 10 months ago. Had the dealer install them. The crank pulley is where the most gains come from, so getting the others was just cosmetic. But since I was going to do it, might as well go the whole way. Good mod, with good responsiveness. Just make sure you put it on right. If in doubt, have the dealer do it. Getting that thing on there wrong and wobbly, or torqued incorrectly will do very nasty things to your motor, and fast. You will need the shorter belt from Stillen. Order 2, so you have a spare.

Old 10-02-2004, 08:55 PM

how much is installation, I just bought my set and was lookin for how much it was going to cost
Thanks

04 DG G35 coupe 5A / z-tube / grounding wire gear/ more to come...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PULLEY UPDATE miles/problems?