Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

LOUDEST air filter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 09:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOUDEST air filter

hey guys im looking for the meanest sounding air filter out there. (you know to somewhat simulate a turbo) nissanperformanceparts.com sells the POP charger and it states in the description that it has a great sound. anyway let me know if yoyu guys have come across one that sonds good and loud. thanks RX

Clear markers w/ hid bulbs, Sprint springs, B&B Exhaust,JL Audio Hifonics combo.

Old 09-22-2004, 10:20 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: LOUDEST air filter

The Tornado? or is it the whistler.

Name:  Sig.gif
Views: 500
Size:  114.0 KB
CPV35 G35C Maliblue

Old 09-23-2004, 07:33 AM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Both the Stillen and JWT Pop Charger add a howl to the
intake. I love the sound my Stillen + 350Z duct make when
I get on it. It is very addictive! I assume the Injen also makes
a similar howl?

03 5AT Sedan, sunroof, splashguards, HKS muffler,
14 wire Grounding kit, Z Duct, Stillen HF/AB
Underbody rear diffusers, Drilled alum pedals,
Stillen sway bars H/H

Old 09-23-2004, 09:11 AM

When i installed my popcharger/Ztube, it made a dramatic difference (IMO) to the sound of the engine under load. i even had my boss comment that my car sounded "throatier" and meaner than when he first heard it.

although, along with the badass growl, the Popcharger also added a whole bunch of whistles and sqeals, mostly under partial throttle and when you let off the gas. i believe this noise is somethign to do with the suction the cone filter produces? it's not necessarily a bad thing, just something to note.

Old 09-23-2004, 11:41 AM

I had an AEM CAI, at lower RPM's you can't even hear the intake but when you smash it you will definatly hear it scream.

Now I have the z tube/popcharger and it's just as loud as the CAI but you can hear the intake better at lower RPM's. If you want a LOUD air filter this one is the way to go.

04 DG Coupe
www.nonturbo.com

Old 09-23-2004, 05:55 PM
Team Transport Member

the injen when you tap the gas (on a 6MT) to get the rpm's up to take off its whistles sounds like a blow off valve and once you romp on it it sound like its going to wrip you a new one. you should here it in the mornings when its cold if it only sounded like that all the time i dont think anyone would dare race you.

03 6MT Coupe Blk/Blk> Injen CAI, Hotchkis adj Sway Bars, Test Pipes< "Nt G R8D" Aj

Old 09-23-2004, 07:05 PM

I would imagine that the Pop Charger system is louder than the Stillen system mainly because of the filter housings. The Stillen system pretty much completely isolates the K&N cone filter in a plastic housing which looks like the stock airbox to the unsuspecting eye.

The Pop Charger simply uses a heat shield, and the underside of the hood, to isolate the filter from the rest of the engine compartment. This system provides less material to contain the intake sound.

Since the sound you hear from an intake system is noise escaping through the filter element, I'd imagine that an intake that places the filter near the bottom of the engine compartment would be a bit quieter. The longer intake ducting would also have an effect on the sound too.

I have a K&N FIPK2 system on my '96 Grand Cherokee (V8) which uses a similar design to the Pop Charger and it is loud under load. It sounds awesome and pretty much overpowers the Borla exhaust on vehicle.

2004.5 Diamond Graphite/Graphite G35 6MT Sedan
Premium Package • Navigation • Splash guards • 350Z intake duct • Stillen high-flow airbox • Underbody diffusers

Old 09-23-2004, 10:46 PM

pop charger or stillen WITH a 350z duct.
that's the ticket.

Cheers, Ted

caveat: watch the rubbing of your AC lines with the 350z duct.

'03.5 Sedan 5a: BS/G, Prem, Aero/Body, Sport, Nav
Click for MODS - www.teamtransport.org

Old 09-25-2004, 12:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"hey guys im looking for the meanest sounding air filter out there. (you know to somewhat simulate a turbo) nissanperformanceparts.com sells the POP charger and it states in the description that it has a great sound. anyway let me know if yoyu guys have come across one that sonds good and loud. thanks RX"

Adding a filter will not sound anything like a turbo. Infact a turbo will muffle the noise you normally hear through the filter in a NA car.

As far as loudest meanest filters, I'd say the Blitz Filter. Not sure if it has a specific name, but the one that is basically just a fine screan mesh is quite loud. Under tests it had very poor filtration properties, but in a VTEC Honda, when the cams switched over, that thing sounded mean.

Old 11-11-2004, 07:33 PM

so you say the Injen is the loudest? im leaning towards that one only becuase it looks the best and is red which is what i have. also like the silver/chrome tube. the POP charger has a black tube. anyway, why do you say it sounds good only when engine is cold? anyone else know which is loudest? please help. need to buy one soon. thanks. a buddy of mine has the pop with heatshiled and says its quit compared to the injen. anyone else have an opinion? thanks RX

Clear markers w/ hid bulbs, Sprint springs, B&B Exhaust,JL Audio Hifonics combo.