Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

V35 cam position sensor (right hand)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 07:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V35 cam position sensor (right hand)

Hi,
I'm not sure if this is the right section of the forums to post this question, but I'll do my best to make it brief.

I have a 2003 G35 sedan that will occasionally just up and quit running while I'm driving. When this happens, the service engine soon light comes on as well as the DVC off and Slip lights. I can restart the engine w/o any problem and continue driving, but the same scenario "sometimes" occurs shortly thereafter, but not always. I used a code scanner to check the engine computer for stored codes and I get a P0340 (RH cam position sensor). Is this sensor actually capable of causing the engine to stall if it becomes intermittently bad? I have checked the connector on the sensor and it is plugged in and making good contact.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Old 07-12-2010, 02:11 PM
The cam sensor can cause the issues you are describing.

More then just checking to see if the sensor and connector are making good contact, pull the sensor out and check the resistance on the sensor as well.

If you have access to a service manual it will tell you the normal resistance that this sensor should produce. If not let me know and I will go look it up in my manual.

This can be a first step to start diagnosis a possible problem with the sensor.

The sensor is held in with one bolt, I believe it takes a 10mm socket.

IF you need any more help PM me, and I will do my best to further help you.

Edit: I would get the resistance tolerances for you now but I am at work and I will post them when I get home. Also there are three electrical contacts on the sensor compared to two on most normal electrical meters. I will send you the tolerances and instructions on how to perform the test.

Last edited by 88G35; 07-12-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:51 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Is this sensor actually capable of causing the engine to stall if it becomes intermittently bad?
YES. A bad sensor caused me to stall in the rain on the highway; damn near spun the car.

I'd pick up a sensor from Nissan, it's about $20 cheaper than the Infiniti dealership over here, swap it in and call it a day.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:53 PM
Thanks!

Thanks for the quick replies! I replaced the cam position sensor and so far no more engine stalling.