Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Install mods one at a time or all at once?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Install mods one at a time or all at once?

Stillen Air Box and Z Tube came in last Friday. Stillen Cat Back Exhaust coming in Monday (10/11). Grounding Wires from Gord coming in Thursday.

So guys, should I wait till all products come in and then install them all in one day? Or should I do them one by one, seperating each by a few days? Let me know, thanks!

http://members.cardomain.com/lilmauwow

Old 10-10-2004, 08:02 PM
Re: Install mods one at a time or all at once?

In terms of a technical perspective, I have no idea.

But I'd do it seperately since you get to see how much louder/more powerful each seperate mod is.

And while doubtful, just in case something goes wrong you'll know what did it.

---
2004 TB/W 6mtC. Sunroof only.
Bel Vector 985
Grounding Kit
Splash Guards
Custom Carputer
Custom FG Sub
Infinity KapPerf6.1, Ref 6002si, 5760 6-ch AMP.
30% Huper

Old 10-11-2004, 01:09 AM

If you have the time, stop making posts on the forum, and get out to the garage!!!

J/K... makes no difference if you wiat or do it all at once. As mentioned above, if you do them incrementally, you will be able to see/hear/feel each mods contribution for a day or two before building up.

Cheers, Ted

'03.5 Sedan 5a: BS/G, Prem, Aero/Body, Sport, Nav
Click for MODS - www.teamtransport.org/forums

Old 10-11-2004, 05:37 AM

I've done all my mods one at a time. If you do them all at once and gain 10rwhp, how will you know if the CAI is really THAT GOOD? You might not realize how mods "work together" w/o doing it one step at a time. I'd do the exhaust first, and leave on the stock airbox. Drive around for a few days and give yourself some time to get used to the exhaust sound and feel. Then, do the CAI and see if you like that better after ~3-5 days. Then add the grounding wires and see how things feel.

At the CFL dyno day, OMI added an exhaust and a CAI and lost horsepower over the stock setup. I ask you, which mod made him lose hp? If you install all 3 mods at the same time you will not know the answer to that question...

Old 10-11-2004, 10:24 PM

There is a benefit to doing some mods one at a time, so you can gauge the relative benefit of each one. You also give yourself a chance to reject a specific mod if you don't like it.

As far as gauging a single item's contribution to performance, the benefit to doing mods one at a time may be dubious. If you are not running on a dyno before/after each mod, then you just can't know the input of any given mod. Your "butt-dyno" is not accurate.

The intake, z-tube, plenum, headers, cats, and cat-back exhaust system can be done one at a time, or all at once. Or you can pick and choose which of them you want. These items represent a family of products, but each can easily stand alone.

Some mods are best done together, to minimize your installation cost. For example, if you plan to install new springs and new shocks, install them at the same time --with an alignment. If you install springs and shocks separately, you double the labor and you do the alignment twice, too.

By the same token, if you plan to install a new clutch and a new flywheel, then have them installed at the same time, for the same reason as above.

New tires and wheels...? All at once!

Under-drive pulleys and big brakes...? One at a time, or all at once.

Get the picture???

'03 G35s 5AT, Garnet Fire/Willow
Staggered 18" SSR GT1/Bridgestone PP S03
Eibach Springs/Sways, Stillen 2-pc BBK
Stillen Intake & SS Cat-Back Dual Exhaust

Old 10-11-2004, 10:49 PM

Thanks for all the tips guys! I decided that I couldn't wait, so I installed the stillen CAI and the Z tube. Took about hour and a half, pretty easy install.

First impressions, sedan picks up much quicker. I took my friend who never rode in my car for a quick ride with a few WOT sessions before we installed it.
Then after we installed it, took him again for a few more WOT sessions and even he noticed it a quicker pick up, especially at the higher RPM's.

So as its been only 2 hours since I've installed it, i'd have to say this was worth my 250 some odd dollars. I am just glad my sedan sounds just as 'cool' as a coupe or a 350z.

Tommorow or the day after, my Stillen Cat Back will be installed. And then probably this weekend I will do the grouding wires. I can't wait!

http://members.cardomain.com/lilmauwow