Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Is there a negative to switching to a Z tube?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 10:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Is there a negative to switching to a Z tube?

The Air Conditioner rubbing problem with the "Z" tube happens when it is used in conjunction with the POPCharger. The POPCharger heatshield mounting points push the filter and tube toward the air conditioner line. The solution is to tie the lines closer to the fender with tie wraps. It worked for me. When the "Z" tube is used alone with the stock air cleaner assembly, it's not an issue.

Lou

Old 10-20-2004, 02:43 AM

I purchased a Pop-Charger a couple months ago and there was no clearance issue on my car. The parts clear by about 3/16”.

*'03.5 MT6 Sedan, Premium, CB*
Z-tube, Pop-Charger, Coupe Mid-Pipe, Autovation pedals

*'00 Saleen S281-SC*
Mucho mods. See it here!

Old 10-20-2004, 04:03 AM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

spendgy (Registered)
10/19/04 06:09 AM

There is an aspect of this install that seems to have been omitted. The installation of this piece will sacrifice low end hp for the sake of high end hp. Not by much, but it is definitely something to take into consideration.

I want the bulk of my hp where I would be driving the majority of the time and this is why I have not done this modification.

<hr></blockquote>

Where do people come up with this crap?

--
Copbait
'04 6MT Loaded, black chrome wheels *PICS*

Old 10-20-2004, 06:56 AM

spendgy,
Can you support your claims of decreased low end hp with any real data? I have not seen anything like that in the last year that I have been on this forum...

g4ian

369194-G35 MINI.jpg

Old 10-20-2004, 06:34 PM
DED

I assume he meant "will sacrifice peak torque for the sake of peak hp."

ztube does nothing at the lower rpm range.

The '05 has ecu programming that does "sacrifice peak torque for the sake of peak hp."

For marketing?

2004 G35C 6MT Black. Killer.

Old 10-20-2004, 07:35 PM

I'm sorry, DED is correct. I have heard, but admittedly not seen, dyno plots revealing movement of the torque curve by 1-2k rpms.

I'll have to see if I can dig up anything. Honestly, I did some research on this a few months back and from what others were telling me, it just didn't seem worth it for such minimal gains.

Old 10-21-2004, 11:01 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have heard that some intake systems will decrease your peak torque value but give you some more high-rpm HP.

Neffster, do you have some before/after dyno plots to show us the improvements of the Z-tube?

-------------------------------------------
2004 6MT DG/G Coupe | Premium | Aero Kit | ClearBra | See profile for pix

Old 10-21-2004, 11:47 AM

Yes... You can check out the Central FL Dyno Day Results Are In thread.

You can also take a gander at this graph. It shows three G35 coupes, all are 5AT's. One is completely stock, one has the Z-Tube with the stock airbox, and the last one has the Z-Tube and the JWT Pop Charger. If the claim that the Z-Tube lost torque was true, the red and green lines would intersect toward the end of the rpm range, as you can see the Z-Tube alone and the Z-Tube and JWT P/C both out perform the stock set up that rolls off of the factory floor.

http://370165-Daniel_Wes_Richard Com... smoothing.jpg

Old 10-22-2004, 02:53 PM

Not to be a ***** or anything but you seem to be drawing a conclusion based on what "others have told you" and yet you are discounting neffters real data from a dyno chart?

2003.5 G35C 5AT
Premium Package
Tire/Wheel Package
K&N Filter, Z-Tube, EGK

Old 10-22-2004, 03:01 PM

You're right about drawing a conclusion from only 3 cars (not controlling for your baseline), but the FL dyno day had more than 3 cars, Neff is just showing you an example. Go review the entire dyno day, then review the CA dyno day and you'll start to see a pattern.

However, you should probably add about 20 ft lbs to any of Neffsters runs that he's done recently because now he has BIG *** 19" WHEELS slowing him down . j/k Neffster....not really though...but maybe...they do look good.

2004.5 Coupe/5AT/Ivory/Everything but front spoiler/Nismo CAI/Crawford V5/Crawford Cats

Old 10-22-2004, 08:09 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

spendgy (Registered)
11/22/04 07:48 AM

While that is good and all, there is no way you can use that as conclusive evidence. Comparing 3 different cars to what a single modification can achieve is not valid.

There are variances to be expected within production model assembly roll offs.

<hr></blockquote>

more than anyone else has shown to the contrary, which is absolutely nothing.

--
Copbait
'04 6MT Loaded, black chrome wheels *PICS*

Old 10-23-2004, 09:54 AM

Just wait until I put my stock cats back on... Then I'll have to give way to the IS300's... [img]/w3timages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I've come to the same realization that most G35 modders will eventually come to. This car can have 20 or so rwhp squeezed out of it, but if you do not street race... so what. I've gotten so much satisfaction from the looks of my new wheels (wait until you see the drop [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]) that 5hp here or there... big deal.

Who knows... maybe I'll gut the RT's, get the damn pulley and spend some money on the light weight fly wheel and throw on a sport clutch. We'll just have to wait to see when the mod bug bites me again... [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

What? You think that John Kerry is not consistent?

Old 11-22-2004, 10:48 AM

While that is good and all, there is no way you can use that as conclusive evidence. Comparing 3 different cars to what a single modification can achieve is not valid.

There are variances to be expected within production model assembly roll offs.

Old 12-02-2004, 02:38 PM
I just purchased a Z tube/JWT POP charger earlier this week...now I read ppl sayin how performance gains are a lump of B.S....making me start to doubt myself. I ordered it for an extra bit of performance, as well as to distinguish my G from a stock one and lil things like sound...etc. I have read hundreds of intake Q/A's for the G in the past year on g35driver.com and just noticed some posts and threads knocking the JWT. Im thinkin about cancelling the JWT and keeping the Z tube now.... ??

Old 12-02-2004, 02:51 PM
Z2G
a few ppl including myself have noticed that the car "hiccups" at slow speeds with the z-tube. it only occurs occasionally though when i'm coasting at slow speeds and then press on the gas, like when i'm at a red light that just turned green or in a parking lot. i just recently took out the z-tube because i'm selling my coupe this month and the "hiccups" went away. but overall, it's a good mod because i noticed the differences in power and sound with and without it.

by the way, the reason why i'm selling my 5at coupe is because i'm getting a 05 6mt coupe.....i wasn't "switching sides"!!! : )

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is there a negative to switching to a Z tube?