Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

TIming Chain Clatter When Cold??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 11:15 AM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
You a big balla to pay Infiniti way too much to do an oil change.

Why not just DIY and put the savings towards your new ride??
Where do you expect me to change my oil? THe parking lot? That and I hate changing oil. More of a PITA and it saves me nothing. For the longest time I bought Amsoil for it, cost me like $80 for a box or something like that, then i took it in and they charged me a whopping $10 to change the oil. I'd MUCH rather pay them $10 to do it, then crawl under the damn thing, tear the splash guard down, and do it myself. That and it is all in their system which will make selling the car a lot easier as it looks like most of the maintenance (there really wasn't any that ever needed to be done except fluids and crap) was done through the dealership. This also is good to have incase my motor blows for some reason or starts burning oil lol

Gotta pay to play, and if $10 was the biggest expense I had to make, then i'd do it.

Now I pay $75 and do it twice a year since I don't really care anymore lol Gotta love synthetic.

I will try a new filter next time though. KN is what you guys recommend? (i know it is what screensavers recommended)

Old 11-09-2010, 11:43 AM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
I like the Puolator PureOne, in the larger size (For an M45 I think???)

Old 11-09-2010, 12:05 PM
-MN G Crew-

It will fit on the Gs? Thats what you use?

Old 11-09-2010, 12:27 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Yes. The Purolator Pure One PL14610

Old 11-09-2010, 03:10 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
It will fit, but i'd be worry about side effects of reducing pressure drop across the filter since the membrane area is larger. I'd want to hook up a true oil pressure guage and make sure plenty of OP at idle when the engine is hot before installing a filter with more filtration area. I don't know the technical details of the VQ's oiling system to offer a more educated guess.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:37 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Seems like I remember reading somewhere that the oil pressure actually goes up with a pure one (finer membrane maybe )
Other than that though, there have been LOTS of people to run the larger filter on various VQ engines with no problem.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:57 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
the m45 filter fits but youll need a bit more oil. 5.25 quarts brings the level to H exactly with the m45 fikter size. if you change at 4k you dont really need the m45 filter.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:26 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I run an M45 Wix and have had no problems. Of course I haven't had any oil pressure tests done so no clue about that.

+1 on adding ~.25qt more though. I thought my engine was burning oil for a while, but decided it was due to the larger filter.

The M45 filter probably doesn't really add much, if anything, but it's the same price so I get it. Also, the stock size filter looks like it should be on a lawn mower.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:53 PM
-MN G Crew-

Alright, i'll give it a shot in 3k miles lol

Old 11-09-2010, 08:14 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
I can bang out an oil change in 15 mins since I do so many (i do nearly monthly)

For me, it takes less time to do it myself vs sitting at the dealer for an hour or so. I just buy 3-4 of those 5-quart oil change jugs and filters at a time and when it's time for an oil change, i have everything ready. Have the oil filter wrench and oil plug wrench ready to go.

Seriously...15 mins and i'm done. To go to the dealer requires me to wake up early on a saturday (screw that!), hop in my car, drive to dunkin donuts, get a coffee, drive to Infiniti dealer, flirt with cute service writer to try to get oil change for free, wait an hour for them to do the car, fail miserably at free oil change attempt, get pissed off they washed my car when i said not to (swirls everywhere) then drive home upset with crappy oil and crappy Nissan filter on two hours later after few stops. Ugh that's too much work!

Doing it myself allows me to take a peek under the car and check things out. I always look at the trans, transfer case, the front halfshafts, belts, etc etc that I can't see in a normal inspection. For me, that's the benefit of doing my own changes...not about saving $10-15

Old 11-09-2010, 08:47 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Wannabe6MT
Alright, i'll give it a shot in 3k miles lol
What intervals do you change your oil at?

Old 11-10-2010, 01:25 AM
-MN G Crew-

4k.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:29 AM
-MN G Crew-

Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
I can bang out an oil change in 15 mins since I do so many (i do nearly monthly)

For me, it takes less time to do it myself vs sitting at the dealer for an hour or so. I just buy 3-4 of those 5-quart oil change jugs and filters at a time and when it's time for an oil change, i have everything ready. Have the oil filter wrench and oil plug wrench ready to go.

Seriously...15 mins and i'm done. To go to the dealer requires me to wake up early on a saturday (screw that!), hop in my car, drive to dunkin donuts, get a coffee, drive to Infiniti dealer, flirt with cute service writer to try to get oil change for free, wait an hour for them to do the car, fail miserably at free oil change attempt, get pissed off they washed my car when i said not to (swirls everywhere) then drive home upset with crappy oil and crappy Nissan filter on two hours later after few stops. Ugh that's too much work!

Doing it myself allows me to take a peek under the car and check things out. I always look at the trans, transfer case, the front halfshafts, belts, etc etc that I can't see in a normal inspection. For me, that's the benefit of doing my own changes...not about saving $10-15
More power to ya.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:16 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Why is everyone automatically assuming this somehow an lubrication issue? The sound is coming from the tensioner. Tensioners on the VQ series, especially on the VQ30s and VQ40s, have a history of being noisy on the start once they get some age on them. My car is an 03, has 86K miles, and I've run Fram filters, NAPA Wix filters, and OEM filters with 5K to 6K changes. I've never had this noise.

Most people just deal with the noise on start up. If it annoys you, you can replace the tensioner. There is an access cover on the timing chain cover to remove the tensioner. I'd recommend that a qualified tech do the work though as you don't want to loose parts inside in the timing chain cover.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:22 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
Why is everyone automatically assuming this somehow an lubrication issue? The sound is coming from the tensioner. Tensioners on the VQ series, especially on the VQ30s and VQ40s, have a history of being noisy on the start once they get some age on them. My car is an 03, has 86K miles, and I've run Fram filters, NAPA Wix filters, and OEM filters with 5K to 6K changes. I've never had this noise.

Most people just deal with the noise on start up. If it annoys you, you can replace the tensioner. There is an access cover on the timing chain cover to remove the tensioner. I'd recommend that a qualified tech do the work though as you don't want to loose parts inside in the timing chain cover.
How do you know it's the tensioner? Is that the only possible explanation for chatter on start-up? Ford SOHC engines are known for this issue as well and everything I've ever read on it dealt with valvetrain lubrication issues.

I'm not saying you're right or wrong, but it would be a lot easier and cheaper to swap out the filter and see if it makes a difference.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: TIming Chain Clatter When Cold??