Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

performance bolt on for g35x

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 03:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
performance bolt on for g35x

hey im lookin to add some power to my g35x 5AT. i was thinking test pipes jwt pop charger, stillen ztube 5/16 in. plenum spacer and test pipes. and of course a reflash.

i need some good advice on parts. not to familiar with the car and im afriad to lose power with certain intakes. also lookin for rims. coupe 19s??

thx. any help is appreciated

Old 12-09-2010, 03:58 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 457 Likes on 237 Posts
You cant go wrong with one of my custom grounding kits for your 5AT.

Check out the reviews and PM me if you are interested:

https://g35driver.com/forums/reviews...es-review.html

Old 12-09-2010, 04:33 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by princec1992
hey im lookin to add some power to my g35x 5AT. i was thinking test pipes jwt pop charger, stillen ztube 5/16 in. plenum spacer and test pipes. and of course a reflash.

i need some good advice on parts. not to familiar with the car and im afriad to lose power with certain intakes. also lookin for rims. coupe 19s??

Best intake for the car is stock. Other open filters can be prone to heat soak. Second best would be Stillen and possibly R2C. You want a filter with a decent heat shield to protect from the engine heat. Most filters on this car are for noise only and will add a few hp (2-5) on the upper rpm range.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by princec1992

They all lose power, if you are local to SxExCx he will hook you up with a legit intake setup, otherwise they just make sound.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:51 PM
I don't think you can run staggered wheels on the AWD... Correct me if I'm wrong. I guess if you ran 245/40R19 on all four corners but you would have slightly uneven wear on the fronts.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:01 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Get a 5/16th MD plenum spacer and a Z-Tube. Spacer adds some horsies, Z-Tube adds a nice growl on the intake, but adds very little if anything to the power level (1-2 HP maybe). An upgraded filter would also help, but stick with the stock intake. There are very few naturally aspirated engines of this size that perform as well, so Infiniti did something right with the intake, and nobody has shown that an aftermarket intake is any better than stock, and many are quite a bit worse, so spend your money on something else.

Test pipes will help, but you'll fail an inspection. But don't bother with test pipes unless you're going to upgrade everything on the exhaust.

BTW, a grounding kit does seem to make the car run better. My stereo was a bit louder, the starter seemed to kick harder, and the 5AT shifted a touch quicker.

And the reflash is nice if you're doing a complete dyno test, but the cost ($500+) may not be worth it with so few upgrades. If you're planning on any more mods, especially an exhaust upgrade, then wait until that's in before putting it on a dyno.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:14 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by 5150DS
Best intake for the car is stock. Other open filters can be prone to heat soak. Second best would be Stillen and possibly R2C. You want a filter with a decent heat shield to protect from the engine heat. Most filters on this car are for noise only and will add a few hp (2-5) on the upper rpm range.
Truer words couldn't be spoken. I happen to have the R2C and am very happy with it. I didn't buy it for power, but it seems to be at least on par with the stock box. I haven't noticed a performance loss with it at least. Plus it looks and sounds great.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:56 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
i have 05x..i got motordyne 5/16 copper iso thermal spacer (best mod for the buck)
Z tube with Rev up air box and K&N drop in filter
i got my rev up air box and plenum spacer from riverside infiniti..got a great deal
all other intakes will give heat soak..the only one that prob wont is the new takeda intake that uses the front of the stock air box..i havent hurd any reviews but that would be the one i would get if i went aftermarket..
pm marinelli motorsports hes a vendor on here ..he will give you a great price..awesome customer serivice aswell..
as far as staggered wheels on a X..yea you can and the coupe 19s dont have much of a differnece front and rear so just run the same size tire all around..if you want to run a wider tire in the rear go to the tire calculator and play with the tire sizes

Old 12-09-2010, 07:05 PM
whats a good exhaust that fits the awd and is a stillen air box a good performance part?

Old 12-09-2010, 07:15 PM
That makes sense.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:39 AM
Originally Posted by mkvl127
i have 05x..i got motordyne 5/16 copper iso thermal spacer (best mod for the buck)
Z tube with Rev up air box and K&N drop in filter
i got my rev up air box and plenum spacer from riverside infiniti..got a great deal
all other intakes will give heat soak..the only one that prob wont is the new takeda intake that uses the front of the stock air box..i havent hurd any reviews but that would be the one i would get if i went aftermarket..
pm marinelli motorsports hes a vendor on here ..he will give you a great price..awesome customer serivice aswell..
as far as staggered wheels on a X..yea you can and the coupe 19s dont have much of a differnece front and rear so just run the same size tire all around..if you want to run a wider tire in the rear go to the tire calculator and play with the tire sizes
Weren't people skeptical because it changed the MAF location and the filter was too small?

Old 12-10-2010, 07:44 AM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
eh... honestly on my X i did the copper spacer, Z tube and coupe-mid.

Knowing the coupe-mid and Z tube didn't add any HP and the copper spacer should get me 5whp under the curve with maybe 9peak whp. Honestly i felt NOTHING. Might just do test pipes/ HFC now and see if i feel anything.

in the 1/4, i didn't get any faster. I was expecting least dropping a .1 but eh. its NA modding you will get nothing lets face it unless you shell out the big bucks.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:03 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by TurTLe*
in the 1/4, i didn't get any faster. I was expecting least dropping a .1 but eh. its NA modding you will get nothing lets face it unless you shell out the big bucks.
+1

Kinda why I left mine stock. A few bolt ons would be nice....but unless I go out and drop some coin, not much to really gain with the basics

Old 12-10-2010, 10:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SedanFan
I don't think you can run staggered wheels on the AWD...
A common, and often repeated, misconception. You can run any wheels you want. It is the TIRES you should be careful with. If you insist on fatter tires at the back make them also lower profile so the tire diameter (or revolutions per mile) is within a percent or two.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:10 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 03BaseSedan
Weren't people skeptical because it changed the MAF location and the filter was too small?
i haven't read anything but its a possibility its been said..i remember hearing that many didnt like the metal intake pipe..some were saying they would want to use the z tube with it and get an adapter for the MAF..i have the Z tube so i would prob do the same since the plastic wont retain heat like the metal

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: performance bolt on for g35x