Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Need Tech Help With Small Upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 07:27 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Athens Blue G35 Coupe 6MT
a spacer will still give you gains. You can still get the iso thermal kit. If you just install the spacer, you won't have to remove the throttle body and lower collector.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:59 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by Sandman1278
So I'm reading through the forums and find out that I DON'T have a REVUP engine....umm its an automatic. Getting a spacer and possibly the lower collector to go with it isn't really an option now right? Will it even fit? Would it even be a gain?

Sorry for my "greenness" guys...failed to mention it was an automatic. I was really disappointed too lol. Was looking forward to a little more pep in the ride
Don't be disappointed, the spacer will still be one of the few mods you will feel the gain. With the automatic the MREV2 won't do much until you get a tune. Then it produces some gain, but I'm not sure if what you would get out of it would be worth $400.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, emailed Tony from Motordyne and told him about my issue with the automatic (non-revup ). He also suggested the 5/16 spacer...didn't mention the lower collector. I went ahead and ordered the spacer but held back on the lower collector for now. However, now I'm itching to get the mrev2 lower collector. I know it won't do much for me till I get a flash (which I found a place here in Houston to dyno it and flash, etc.)

Now...here is my question. I found a guy selling some Stillen Headers (ceramic) for $300 here. Keep in mind the rest of the exhaust is stock. I haven't pick them up yet but I told him I would get them after looking at them. QUESTION: With a few intake mods (filter, spacer, maybe lower collector), add the headers...is the stock exhaust system capable of supporting ( or still making gain) with these mods....is the flow good enough to support it with these intake mods without getting a further upgraded exhaust or am I just pissing money away without a completely upgraded exhaust system?

I know basic physics well, and know that in most cases if you increase the air coming in, you should increase the air out for max efficiency. I will be getting the flash/dyno within a few months to get the tune right for the mods, but I'm wondering if I need to get some performance pipes/ cat converters, etc. or will the stock exhaust system be sufficient for these mods. Is it going to restrict the "air in" mods... Am I making any sense? lol

My goal is to have this thing with a charger or turbo on it within a year...however I am flying by the seat of YOUR opinions lol....I'm just on training wheels with this right now so your advice is (and has been) so valuable. Any thoughts?

Old 05-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
dont waste your time with the lower plenum. just port match and polish your intake manifold and your lower plenum as is along with the spacer. headers are a good choice, expensive with labor unless you will do it yourself. id atleast find an HR ypipe or something if you dont plan on changing out the rest of your exhaust.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I didn't plan on changing anything else with the exhaust but the HR Y pipe doesn't seem to be to much on the wallet from what I see (compared to other mods). Plus, since I will be under there anyways...why not? lol So yeah, I planned on doing it myself. However, the port and polish thing...I've got a guy from our shops at work to come and help with that, he is more familiar with it. I gave him a 350 from 69 z28 I bought to stroke out but ended up selling the truck before I could put it in...so a great op to cash out lol.

Coupe and the rest of you that have been helping me with this G35 endeavour I'm learning about have really helped out. Thank all of you guys...it gives me direction and saves me a lot of time on what to research. WHICH...by the way, seems these headers are more for high end...I'm guessing that these few that I have read their forums have not got a tune yet. They never mentioned getting it tuned after install. I would think that a good tune would help in the mid AND high range? Still gonna get some headers though lol...however this guys pics (they are supposedly Stillen headers) don't look like what I see on the net. The bends are not the same... I'm supposed to meet with this guy this weekend and inspect them before buying. Is there a label I can see to make SURE they are Stillen? I seriously think this guy is trying to sell me something else lol.

Another question I have to add to the mix about a company. Is Z1 Motorsports and their products worth a shot? I hear for the most part they are good with customer service but are their products worth a $h!T? Or are they second grade stuff?