Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

unknown engine noise. Lifter?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 09:42 AM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
unknown engine noise. Lifter?

What's up guys? So I have had this really annoying ticking noise coming from the driver side bank. It is coming from the head, but I can't seem to diagnose it. I have used the old trick of using a screw driver and putting it up to different areas of the motor and your ear to the other end. I can hear all the valves and they sound normal. When you put it up to the rear of the valve cover you can definitely hear the noise. It ticks almost like the lobe of the cam is hitting something every revolution. The noise speeds up when you rev it as well. Could it be a lifter or possibly something fuel rail/injector related? I found a video that sounds exactly the same as mine, but he never figured it out either. I have tried sea foam and tried a half court of transmission fluid with no results...

Last edited by Nismo G; 07-16-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey I am having the same issue and i would to know whats causing the said issue, hope someone on the forum can help us. I am thinking of changing the spark plugs and changing to a high end oil some synthetic of some kind. The performance level is still great but the noise bothers me a lot ugh

Old 07-21-2011, 12:03 PM
i had the same noise and i just did an oil change and put 10w-40 in it and the noise went away.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:15 PM
Ok thanks will give that a try this weekend hopefully I get some good results.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by kirwayne
Hey I am having the same issue and i would to know whats causing the said issue, hope someone on the forum can help us. I am thinking of changing the spark plugs and changing to a high end oil some synthetic of some kind. The performance level is still great but the noise bothers me a lot ugh
It's not the plugs...i changed mine out and still have the noise. I might try a thicker oil as well. We will see what happens.

It is def coming from the driver side head though. When you take off the oil cap you can really hear it inside...

Old 07-23-2011, 03:43 PM
Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts
I have the same issue with mine. My car is overheating also, but I'm due for a flush. Driving in this hot weather is not helping any also.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:02 PM
I just bought some 10w-40. We will see if it works. I also picked up some lucas oil stabilizer, worth a try...right? lol ill post back tomorrow.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:09 PM
With 10w-40 and lucas oil stabilizer nothing changed. Still ticking away!

Old 07-26-2011, 06:15 PM
Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts
could be a timing chain issue causing valve chatter.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:17 PM
Received 290 Likes on 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Nismo G
With 10w-40 and lucas oil stabilizer nothing changed. Still ticking away!
Lucas is junk and engine is toast. Using thicker oil will only cover up the noise and in this case not even that( stick with german castrol since it is thickest 30 weight, almost a 40 weight and use WIX, napa, or puralator filter). Okay not really toast but the upper valve train needs to be worked on but in reality it is probably cheaper and more cost effective to live with the noise.When i was test driving vehicles on car had such a bad noise it sounded like turbo diesel from VW but still had plenty of power and pull at 116k miles.

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...maybe-tdi.html

How many miles on the vehicle and holy god gawd batman did i read in your search that you had parts for built motor for sale and a used turbo. So what is the story with the engine and maintenance. Is this engine been boosted and now you are experiencing the noise. What is your oil change interval and have you noticed your car burning oil.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by faiz23
Lucas is junk and engine is toast. Using thicker oil will only cover up the noise and in this case not even that( stick with german castrol since it is thickest 30 weight, almost a 40 weight and use WIX, napa, or puralator filter). Okay not really toast but the upper valve train needs to be worked on but in reality it is probably cheaper and more cost effective to live with the noise.When i was test driving vehicles on car had such a bad noise it sounded like turbo diesel from VW but still had plenty of power and pull at 116k miles.

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...maybe-tdi.html

How many miles on the vehicle and holy god gawd batman did i read in your search that you had parts for built motor for sale and a used turbo. So what is the story with the engine and maintenance. Is this engine been boosted and now you are experiencing the noise. What is your oil change interval and have you noticed your car burning oil.
It is something valve train related. Driver side bank #1 cylinder is where it is coming from. I work at nissan and none of the techs know exactly what is wrong. It isn't timing chain related. Everything in the cover sounds fine sounds fine and is running smooth. Valves are all opening and closing fine, we can here them with the stethoscope. Everyone seems to think it is something lifter related. Engine has no performance issues. Pulls just fine. No smoke or leaks. Oil changes every 3-4 miles. Yes it was boosted, but it was making the noise prior and it seemed to get a little worse so i unboosted myself lol. No built motor in the car (building a motor in the garage now though thats what the parts you see in other threads are for). The noise does increase with the more throttle you give...

Your video is close, but it seems to be like double the ticking mine is...

Old 07-27-2011, 11:42 PM
my '06 coupe sounds very similar except only starts doing when driven after about 20 miles and stops doing it when clutch pedal pressed down on the floor, the noise returns when pedal is back up(engaged?...idr) weird noise nonethe less, but maybe my noise problem has to do with transmission and not engine....? anyone know?

Old 07-28-2011, 12:28 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
My car sounds exactly like this...after reading this thread still not sure if I should be worried or not

Nightzun maybe yours is flywheel related

Last edited by almost3flips; 07-28-2011 at 03:59 AM.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by nightzun
my '06 coupe sounds very similar except only starts doing when driven after about 20 miles and stops doing it when clutch pedal pressed down on the floor, the noise returns when pedal is back up(engaged?...idr) weird noise nonethe less, but maybe my noise problem has to do with transmission and not engine....? anyone know?
If your clutch is up and you are in neutral do you hear it? It's probably just your throw out bearing or a little bit of noise coming from the flywheel. When you let out your clutch slowly to engage 1st gear, does the car shake/chatter a little bit? If it does, you might want to get your flywheel resurfaced. Nothing dangerous is happening though.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:23 AM
Received 290 Likes on 218 Posts
Is it similar to this noise

I am ruling out piston slap that many people like to claim or the piston rings due to faulty design. I have a feeling the clearance need to be checked on the heads and then shimmed back in spec. You are probably hearing the gap between the cams and valves. You need to check the clearance and purchase buckets/shims to bring it back to spec. Being a dealership you can do it for cheaper than others but still working on heads/cams is very expensive and time consuming.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: unknown engine noise. Lifter?