Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

few issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 06:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
few issues

so i gota few issues i would like to fix.
i am throwing p0011,0021,0014 and 0024.
says over advanced timing both banks and intake and exhuast.

will new cam sensors correct this. iff so is it just 2 cam sensors or is it 4. i have over thought this.lol.

to note---- a while back it had the code for crankshaft sensor but it didnt show this time.

also threw a p1273. i had testpipes with non foulers and it didnt throw a code. BUT one of the test pipes broke and tore up a o2 sensor so i bought a universal and wired it and all has ben fine till now. well i reinstalled cats and driver side i can move the piece inside the cat.

oil level is fine.
every blue moon it will have a funny start up and sound like hte throw out bearing is wobling funny but goes away almost instantly.

has died twice but restarted just fine. runs fine but i do feel it isnt running as good as it should.

any advice would be great.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
very weird that you are running over advance timing

first off- do you have a FSM (factory service manual) for the car yet? Free electronic version. pm me if you need a link.

i don't want to look up the codes right now - but if it isn't throwing a code for the sensor as well as timing you would likely have more issues than that. If the sensor & timing codes are popping up (i'm assuming this because of 4 codes related) then you most likely just need to change the sensors and should be back to normal.

Start there. Beyond that would be a timing chain issue I would assume - not likely and would be running much rougher.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:07 AM
So I found there are 2 sensors per head. I figured that just wanted to make sure. Im going to need all 4 seeing as that's the codes and will get the crankshaft sensor as well. Will report back when this is completed.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:01 AM
Banned
Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Based on the codes I assume you have a rev-up? The codes say its all 4 cam position sensors, but thats HIGHLY unlikely to happen all at once.

Have you let the oil get low recently? Or dropped oil pressure for some reason? The IVT and ETVs run on oil pressure, and I have seen lack of oil pressure though these codes since it doesn't allow the solenoids to do their job. Make sure you have plenty of fresh oil in it, reset the ECU and see if it happens again, Its likely you dropped oil pressure for some reason, it threw the codes and although its running properly now the codes are still there.

Goodluck!
-Rob

Old 11-10-2011, 09:30 AM
Car has 102k miles. Recent oil change. Have had these codes for atvleast 3 months. I've erased them bedor and their back. Once it gave code for crank sensor but thats not showing anymore. Will erase codes and see Wat happens one more time.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:35 AM
Banned
Does it have oil consumption? Its possible during hot idle your not producing enough oil pressure (if OC) to operate the VTCs, maybe try going up a weight in oil.

-Rob

Old 11-10-2011, 09:59 AM
No oc. I run Pennzoil platinum 10w30 checked oil last nite and it was dead in the middle still.

Side notes I get on average 275 miles to a tank due to driving habits. Have gotten 350 plus off a tank before so It isn't messing will fuel mileage I don't think.

About the cat is it ok for the inside to move some.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:03 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by papercuts
No oc. I run Pennzoil platinum 10w30 checked oil last nite and it was dead in the middle still.

Side notes I get on average 275 miles to a tank due to driving habits. Have gotten 350 plus off a tank before so It isn't messing will fuel mileage I don't think.

About the cat is it ok for the inside to move some.
The cat? The Catalytic converters? No it is not normal for the guts of the cats to move, if this is the case they have failed.

-Rob

Old 11-10-2011, 10:07 AM
Well that sucks. Lol. Should have Ben more careful with them when I first took them off. Didn't really plan on putting them back on. Lol.

I will clear codes today. Wat oil should I use.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:10 AM
Banned
Well that sucks. Lol. Should have Ben more careful with them when I first took them off. Didn't really plan on putting them back on. Lol.

I will clear codes today. Wat oil should I use.
Its kinda just preference, at the shop we use Castrol, In my car i use Amsoil or Mobil. As far as weight, we have good luck with a 10w-40 on cars with oil pressure issues.

-Rob

Old 11-10-2011, 10:36 AM
Will buy new oil today and clear the codes and see Wat happens.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:47 PM
So I stopped and pulled codes at autozone. Same ones. Erased. Car ran awesome. Drove a few miles to a buddy house. Leave and he light is backbone and car feelsike it has no low end torque at all.

Drove to autozone and pulled same codes erased again and added 1/3 of a quart of oil. Drove to sons daycare. Restarted car and codes are back. Can't check them but would bet there the same.

It didn't throw the cat converter code.

The car is a lake duck till 4k rpm and then it starts to pull. Kinda like vtec but wayvmore obvious. Lol.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:15 AM
Banned
So I stopped and pulled codes at autozone. Same ones. Erased. Car ran awesome. Drove a few miles to a buddy house. Leave and he light is backbone and car feelsike it has no low end torque at all.

Drove to autozone and pulled same codes erased again and added 1/3 of a quart of oil. Drove to sons daycare. Restarted car and codes are back. Can't check them but would bet there the same.

It didn't throw the cat converter code.

The car is a lake duck till 4k rpm and then it starts to pull. Kinda like vtec but wayvmore obvious. Lol.
Have you recently had the clutch replaced, or any work in that area? Or even hit something in the road lately? My next guess is the Crankshaft Position sensor is either damaged or bad. Its the small sensor close to the slave cylinder. Check that connection and for any damage. I feel like if anything its just a bad sensor, since if it was unplugged entirely or broken the car would barely run at all.

That sensor would run around $80, It may be worth a try to replace it. Or if you have a friend with a rev-up G/Z ask if you can swap to see if it fixes the problem. Its very easy to remove/install, 1 10mm bolt, and 1 connector, it takes longer to jack the car up than to swap them.

-Rob

Old 11-11-2011, 04:38 PM
Replaced crank sensor and erased codes. Now its down to 3 codes. Camshaft sensor A bank 1
Sensor A bank 2
Sensor B bank 1
As soon as the ses light came on the idle changed and the exhaust would papop pop pop when shifting or decel. I guess its backing lightly. Iunno. Lol.

Also the ses light came on while at a read light with car up to temp.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:22 PM
Stopped today amd pulled tje.codes again so I ould erase them. All 4 cam sensors.are.showing.and 1273 is back.

Forgot to mention I ran over a 10 ft aluminiumh ladder on tje highway at 80mph on the passenger side. It left a nice dent in the cat.

But I erased the codes and then raped on it on the way home. Ten minute drive I stopped at a.red light but keep.the revs up to see if it wouldn't throw a code. Never threw one so I think it could.be the.hot idle oil pressure like said before so I will deff change my oil. Also I have a fram oil filter and have read bad things on them and our motors.

The following users liked this post:
Z1Motorsports (11-14-2011)