Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Mobil 1 oil sucks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 11:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by radiohead369
Car drives fine, the dipstick is just under full. I didn't expect doing an oil change with mobil 1 to run any better. I just noticed it doesn't pull like it used to. Thanks for all your help guys, I highly doubt there is anything wrong with my car. Low millage, no smoke, runs smooth; just doesn't pull like it did before I did the mobil oil change. We'll see in how it runs with different oil come time for the oil change. I'll keep you guys posted.
Other possibilites could be loss of compression but I'm thinking you'd be getting CEL on the dash? Or different gas, super to regular or a different gas station?

Old 02-20-2012, 11:35 PM
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HotRodG35
Another consideration is you've become acclimated to the performance of the G. Not sure what your previous ride was but the G maybe more powerful. This is why some guys running FI keep seeking more power for the thrill of acceleration.
That's a possibility. But I was not seeking to get any boost in performance by doing the mobil 1 oil change. Just thought it would be nice to change it and have an accurate standing point in millage for me to do oil changes. I'm looking to baby this thing and wanted to go with the best oil.

I let my friend drive it a couple of times so I'll probably let him drive it again sometime to see if he notices the difference. I told him about this after I did the oil change and he said it's all in my head. hahah

Originally Posted by geronimomoe
Other possibilites could be loss of compression but I'm thinking you'd be getting CEL on the dash? Or different gas, super to regular or a different gas station?
Regular, been using the same gas station for years.

Honestly think it's the oil/filter. Looking forward to trying out K&N filter and pennzoil platinum.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:55 PM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
i have been using Mobil 1 full synthetic oil in my 03 G SEDAN with no problems

Now my 05 coupe 6MT has oil consumption but thats common no matter what oil you use

Old 02-21-2012, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by Beebo
i have been using Mobil 1 full synthetic oil in my 03 G SEDAN with no problems

Now my 05 coupe 6MT has oil consumption but thats common no matter what oil you use
I'm sorry to hear that about your car. Since joining this forum about a month ago I have been reading a lot on oil consumption for the VQ. It really sucks to have that issue on cars like ours, I didn't know that prior to buying mine. I'll be checking my dipstick weekly and keep an eye on the oil level (in case you didn't read I just bought the G). I was fortunate enough to be able to purchase a 3 year warranty (36k mile coverage) so I can get any motor problems dealt with.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:24 AM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by radiohead369
I'm sorry to hear that about your car. Since joining this forum about a month ago I have been reading a lot on oil consumption for the VQ. It really sucks to have that issue on cars like ours, I didn't know that prior to buying mine. I'll be checking my dipstick weekly and keep an eye on the oil level (in case you didn't read I just bought the G). I was fortunate enough to be able to purchase a 3 year warranty (36k mile coverage) so I can get any motor problems dealt with.
The dipstick is useless on these cars... my dipstick read full even when i had only one quart in the engine.

i was lucky to find a rev-up engine with 30k miles for $1,500 but it will eventually happen to that engine as well so i lose either way lol

Old 02-21-2012, 12:30 AM
Originally Posted by Beebo
The dipstick is useless on these cars... my dipstick read full even when i had only one quart in the engine.

i was lucky to find a rev-up engine with 30k miles for $1,500 but it will eventually happen to that engine as well so i lose either way lol
Ah yes, I noticed that a couple of times when I tried reading the dipstick. Sometimes the oil level shows full and sometimes it gives me an accurate reading (a little over 3/4ths full). So I know where I stand as of today.

By the looks of it I'll probably put my warranty to use by the end of the 3rd year and get a new engine. Why not right? Shame that our precious G's have to suffer from this problem.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:40 AM
Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
The 'problem' isn't your oil type. Been using M1 since the first change including one of the fastest stock-block 1/4 mile times. No OC either.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:57 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Is there an DIY on how to properly read the oil dipstick in these cars? LOL. I've owned my car since 2004 and it wasn't until about 6 months ago a friend explained how and when to read the oil levels. From what I've learned, you can't really read the oil dipstick reliably when it is warm or hot, best method is to read it when the engine is completely cold (such as first thing in the morning.) Because of the way the dipstick is positioned inside the engine, the Low and High hashmarks on the outside of the dipstick facing away from the engine. Since that side of the dipstick faces away from the engine, you get minimal oil runoff from the engine on that side which is why the engine-facing side of the dipstick always displays a higher oil level than the side with the Low and High hashmarks.
After oil and filter change, you should put in 5 or 5.2 quarts of oil (I've seen both referenced including the dealership stating it takes 5.2 quarts of oil.)
Read while completely cold (you will have only one or two good pulls to get a good oil line on your dipstick before you start getting bad readings due to the oil running down the inside of the dipstick walls coming in contact with the dipstick itself.) My car doesn't burn oil and I pour in 5 quarts of 5w30 oil. When I read the dipstick while completely cold, my oil is approximately at the 2/3 mark between the Low and High points on the hashmarks (just slightly above half full.) I suspect the 5.2 quarts would put the reading right at the High mark.
Your oil level will be from the lowest point where oil is consistant across the width of the dipstick. If you see clean spots (no visible oil) beneath your mark, then you need to read further down the dipstick and either reclean the dipstick and recheck again to confirm and/or add more oil to bring your level up.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:58 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
And btw, Mobil 1 is a good Tier III synthetic oil. I've used it for 20 years until about a year ago, and I switched over to Amsoil. It's probably overkill for my driving habits, but I don't mind spending a little extra to get a Tier IV oil.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:02 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I switched from Mobil1 to Pennzoil Ultra and the engine seems quieter and smoother.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you said u dident notice the lack of power until a week after u changed ur oil? that the first clue that its not the oil ... imo

Old 02-21-2012, 09:23 PM
Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by AustinG35
Your oil level will be from the lowest point where oil is consistant across the width of the dipstick. If you see clean spots (no visible oil) beneath your mark, then you need to read further down the dipstick and either reclean the dipstick and recheck again to confirm and/or add more oil to bring your level up.
you can see a clearer line on the back of the stick. 1 pull max for me I can see pretty easily after some practice.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:11 AM
Thank you Austin for your write up. I'll be checking my oil levels in the mornings now instead of in the evening.

Originally Posted by nogoodname
I switched from Mobil1 to Pennzoil Ultra and the engine seems quieter and smoother.
I'll be switching to platinum or ultra, which I believe is what the car was running when I took it home from the dealer.

Originally Posted by Bmacg35tt
you said u dident notice the lack of power until a week after u changed ur oil? that the first clue that its not the oil ... imo
I noticed it right after I did the oil change, first day actually but thought it was all in my head. I live on a hill and I used to be able to hall *** up the hill in 3rd without even flooring it. Now if I floor it I don't get the same amount of pull.

I don't smash in my car, I have a perfect driving record. Love the thrill of gunning it every now and then so I was able to notice is it instantly.

Car drives fine guys. I don't know what else if could be I mean the car drove like a beast before I did the oil change and I even did it prematurely. Now it just drives fast, but suttle. Not the same amount of torque. I can't find another explanation other than the oil/filter.

Last edited by radiohead369; 02-22-2012 at 02:34 AM.