Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Experiencing Power-steering Issue with my G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 08:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
have this ever been solved? I am having the same problems with my 2003 coupe and i replaced the steering pump (with hoses) and the steering rack, and the problem still here. (I replaced with used items from scrap-yard)

Old 06-30-2013, 10:36 AM
Same here changed everything on my 07 sedan X
Pump, rack, fluids,.. Steering angle sensor is the only thing thats left??

Old 01-09-2014, 10:08 AM
Did you fix the issue?

I am experiencing the same issue. Infiniti told me that it was the power steering pump. I am replacing that now.

Did you ever get this resolved?

Was it the steering angle sensor?

Old 03-25-2015, 08:37 PM
Started having this same problem a few months back (December 2014)

So here's the thing. Whenever i turn my wheel it's very stiff (obviously there's no power steering helping out) and it makes this loud suction sound. I check the power steering liquid tank and it shows the amount just under MAX. Now the weird thing is this. I noticed that when I top off the tank with more fluid the sound goes away, and you could hear it stop. (if i open my hood turn the wheel it will make the suction noise and as I pour the fluid it, it stops.) But i also noticed that after 4 days of driving the fluid goes down between the MAX and MIN points and the sound starts again, and the liquid won't drop past that.

Everyone I take it to has no real idea of what part to look into. I bought a stainless steel power steering hose because my mechanic told me to get it, and it wasn't the right one.

Recently I just been able to rig it by carrying bottles of power steering fluid, but I want a real fix to this. Any help?

Old 05-01-2015, 02:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fatality
Started having this same problem a few months back (December 2014)

So here's the thing. Whenever i turn my wheel it's very stiff (obviously there's no power steering helping out) and it makes this loud suction sound. I check the power steering liquid tank and it shows the amount just under MAX. Now the weird thing is this. I noticed that when I top off the tank with more fluid the sound goes away, and you could hear it stop. (if i open my hood turn the wheel it will make the suction noise and as I pour the fluid it, it stops.) But i also noticed that after 4 days of driving the fluid goes down between the MAX and MIN points and the sound starts again, and the liquid won't drop past that.

Everyone I take it to has no real idea of what part to look into. I bought a stainless steel power steering hose because my mechanic told me to get it, and it wasn't the right one.

Recently I just been able to rig it by carrying bottles of power steering fluid, but I want a real fix to this. Any help?
Fatality - did you ever get this fixed? My 07 G35x is in the shop because I'm not getting any power steering after a new rack was installed. They've diagnosed the problem as a bad PS pump, but i'm worried that it is the steering angle sensor causing the problem since it sounds so similar to your problem.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by adam_g35x
Fatality - did you ever get this fixed? My 07 G35x is in the shop because I'm not getting any power steering after a new rack was installed. They've diagnosed the problem as a bad PS pump, but i'm worried that it is the steering angle sensor causing the problem since it sounds so similar to your problem.
Hey man, no I never fixed the problem. I'm still just carrying around bottles of power steering liquid. I've lifted my car and gone under and notice I see it leaking, but not 100% sure what is causing it. How did yours end up resulting?

Old 05-06-2015, 11:44 PM
Sorry to hear that, at least it's still working!

I ended up taking my car into the dealer. They diagnosed it, determined the pump was not producing enough pressure so they replaced it. Overall it cost about $1100. I'm just happy to have the problem behind me.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:46 PM
My car starts to squel on start up and sometimes when i start to drive it and turn. Is this power steering pump or is it something else. i just bought the car last week and im not too familiar with the G35's yet but i can do all of the work myself. i just dont want to buy and replace something that i dont need to.
Thanks

Old 02-07-2017, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by Caseyb
My car starts to squel on start up and sometimes when i start to drive it and turn. Is this power steering pump or is it something else. i just bought the car last week and im not too familiar with the G35's yet but i can do all of the work myself. i just dont want to buy and replace something that i dont need to.
Thanks
I know this is an old thread but I figured I'd throw this in to help anyone (like myself) searching on Google for an answer to this common problem.
A little known common issue with infiniti and nissans...if the power steering is stiff and difficult to turn, and your fluids and pump is okay...it's VERY likely to be the lower U joint at the end of the steering column. They're known to bind up. Sprsy the hell out of that thing with pb blaster and keep working it and it should loosen up, or just replace it. The dealer charges around 300 to do it.

I sprayed mine a year ago and it's stiffing up again and I'm probably going to replace mine now since my family is using the car as well.

The following users liked this post:
MR.BOJANGLES (06-27-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Neat point ^. I'm working on my G right now and noticed how rusted to hell that connection is. You'd think it would be shielded. Guess not.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:56 PM
Reading this thread thinking I might have to replace the PS pump, Rack or Steering Angle Sensor, when all that was required is to spray WD40 on the lower U joint at the end of the steering column, like Mark Cogean suggested.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Yep, keep it greased!

I actually had a leaky rack . I should've just bought lifetime alignments.

Old 07-04-2017, 02:28 PM
check your suspension bushings we commonly see that problem on a few diff nissans when the lower control arm bushings are torn also it could possibly be the top hats on your struts

Old 11-03-2017, 10:08 AM
Sorry for reviving an old thread. I'm having the same problem. Replacing the PS pump did not help. Where exactly is the joint located? Like, inside the cabin or under the hood? Apologies for the noon question. Thanks!
Originally Posted by MR.BOJANGLES
Reading this thread thinking I might have to replace the PS pump, Rack or Steering Angle Sensor, when all that was required is to spray WD40 on the lower U joint at the end of the steering column, like Mark Cogean suggested.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:17 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
The lower is usually under the hood right where the steering shaft meets the rack and pinion (sometimes the rack has a little stub shaft). You will typically need to be UNDER the vehicle to access it. I don't have more exact advice because I've never had to mess around with steering on my vehicle.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Experiencing Power-steering Issue with my G35