Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Experiencing Power-steering Issue with my G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 10:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Experiencing Power-steering Issue with my G35

Vehicle: Infiniti G35 2005 V6 Coupe Silver

First and foremost, THANK YOU for any advice that you could offer me

Here's the problem: For the last couple of weeks, I had been experiencing some stiffness and tugging with my steering wheel, especially when I made right-hand turns. Within the last week, it has gotten so bad that I feel as if it is about to just give out. It feels like i'm playing tug-of-war with my steering wheel, and it's winning! It's so stiff, that sometimes I cannot make certain turns, or make them obviously wide.

So here's the issues that could have been causing this issue that have been eliminated by an actual mechanic.

1. it is NOT the power-steering pump, it is not leaking, yet is slightly dirty. ( as far as i know, it has never been flushed. I purchased this vehicle last year).

2. It is NOT the power-steering belt, it was checked and is in fine condition.

3. Upon inspection of the vehicle on the lift(before test-drive by mechanic), the mechanic claimed that the rack and pinion seemed to be fine, and he doubted that this was the issue.

AFTER test-driving the vehicle, the mechanic determined that the only possible explanation for the obvious stiffness of the steering wheel was that the rack and pinion needed to be replaced.

My problem is that, I also have to fix an oil-cooler leak, and a head-gasket leak(both driver and passenger), and get new front brakes and pads. So, i'm already looking at a pretty penny. I'm currently unemployed, and am using my savings to pay for these repairs. I cannot afford to pay for the rack and pinion to be replaced at my expense and have that not repair the issue. ( Since the mechanic is basically determining this by elimination method).

Is there any other issue that you have experienced similar to mine, that wasn't an obvious explanation related to your power-steering feeling stiff? I need any advice I can get, because i'm on a very strict budget.

Again, thank you for any advice you can offer!!! I appreciate it! ( and yes, i'm a girl)

Old 04-18-2012, 07:46 PM
Received 140 Likes on 129 Posts
I have never experienced this issue with my G but, I would suggest just getting the rack and pinion replaced like your mechanic said if you trust him. I know you said you have a tight budget but not being able to turn especially in an emergency situation is not good. I wouldn't imagine just because the fluid has never been flushed that it would make it that difficult to turn the wheel. If your head gaskets aren't leaking that bad I would wait to fix those and worry about your brakes and oil cooler leak first.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:23 PM
thanks lone wolf!

Thank you for your opinion! I replaced the rack and pinion only and the steering feels a lot better. Just seems like the alignment is slightly off. does it take a while to get used to a new rack and pinion? Like does it have to be broken in ?

Old 04-19-2012, 09:28 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by black_lamb
does it take a while to get used to a new rack and pinion?
I didn't notice any difference when mine was replaced

Old 04-19-2012, 10:43 PM
Received 140 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by black_lamb
Thank you for your opinion! I replaced the rack and pinion only and the steering feels a lot better. Just seems like the alignment is slightly off. does it take a while to get used to a new rack and pinion? Like does it have to be broken in ?
Are you still having a "tug-of war" issue with your steering wheel after you had the new rack and pinion installed?

Old 04-21-2012, 04:02 AM
So, unfortunately after an entire day of driving, it seems my issue is still persisting! still feels stiff and now it even feels more rough on the front end of the vehicle, especially when i go over bumps. it doesn't ride the same what to do now? I already notified the mechanic and told him i was going to bring the car in first thing monday morning as there is a 90 day warranty on the labor, and 1 year warranty on the rack and pinion. Is it possible that after replacing the rack and pinion that the drive ride can get worse? i'm so disappointed that I feel after a lot of cash, the problem isn't resolved.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:41 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts
you assume that its not the power steering pump - but it very well could be. You can get a decent used one for pretty cheap and its not too bad of a swap. If its got an internal problem most of the time it will squeal but its possible that it can be bad even if it's not making noise. You should have new fluid in there now as well. You could test pressure levels of the fluid to ensure proper pump function.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:31 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
ever figure out what it is? my car is doing the same thing as of yesterday morning

Old 05-13-2012, 05:37 PM
Eno
Received 219 Likes on 164 Posts
Assuming fluid levels are normal?

Old 05-13-2012, 07:02 PM
Indeed, assuming all fluid levels are normal... I'm assuming mine's the pump...

Old 05-13-2012, 08:01 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Steering angle sensor.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:34 PM
my car just felt like both tires were flat... in a neutral position, the car rides fine... pulling the wheel about a quarter rotation in either direction is more labored than before, but after that it's normal. the wheel also doesn't completely correct itself when i let go after a turn, either... steering angle sensor would cause this??

Old 05-14-2012, 03:59 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, in most cases it's always the steering angle sensor.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:22 AM
Eno
Received 219 Likes on 164 Posts
Interesting... after some recent work mine seems to turn differently in one direction than the other. Wonder if it's the same issue?

Old 05-14-2012, 02:53 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts
check your tie rods...

The following users liked this post:
Eno (05-14-2012)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Experiencing Power-steering Issue with my G35