Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Clutch pedal sticking halfway - Slave/Master Cylinder? Stealership lying.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 09:02 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Clutch pedal sticking halfway - Slave/Master Cylinder? Stealership lying.

Hey all.

My stealership last told me that my clutch was to the rivets and my flywheel was burned up when they replaced my engine, and stated that could be why my pedal sticks halfway. And I said thats funny because the clutch is fine, and doesn't slip, however the pedal just sticks randomly. I turned down their offer to replace my clutch and flywheel.

I've been driving still using my clutch for about 2 months. Not a single sign of slippage. However in this annoying humidity I have noticed my clutch pedal sticks half way A LOT. If I downshift without rev matching or basically any sort of high rpm clutch usage, my pedal will again stick. Or it will stick after an hour or so use in warm/hot weather.

So my question is:

Is it the pedal assembly? and my stealership is lying.

Is it the master/slave cylinder(s)? and my stealership is lying.

Or is it my clutch? and my stealership is still a bunch of crooks.

Thanks bros. I want to know asap, because they got me thinking its my clutch, and honestly it never slips, but the damn pedal keeps sticking!! I'm at 97,000 miles on the clutch/flywheel.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:20 AM
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
I had the same issue a couple months back on a warm day. The clutch would not rebound all the way up and I had to put my foot under the clutch pedal and physically pull it back up. I posted here on the forum and a number of users recommended a change in my clutch fluid. My buddy helped me do the brake fluid flush and refilled it with ATE Super Blue, sure enough it fixed the problem. No more stickiness, and clutch felt more responsive. Super blue has a higher boiling point, and even now during the summer the clutch feels great after lots of driving.

I recommend you do a clutch fluid flush for starters. It's most likely that. If not, then it must be your clutch master cylinder.

Last edited by radiohead369; 08-09-2012 at 12:26 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by radiohead369:
Justice06RR (12-16-2014), SlickSilverG (09-19-2012)
Old 08-09-2012, 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by radiohead369
I had the same issue a couple months back on a warm day. The clutch would not rebound all the way up and I had to put my foot under the clutch pedal and physically pull it back up. I posted here on the forum and a number of users recommended a change in my clutch fluid. My buddy helped me do the brake fluid flush and refilled it with ATE Super Blue, sure enough it fixed the problem. No more stickiness, and clutch felt more responsive. Super blue has a higher boiling point, and even now during the summer the clutch feels great after lots of driving.

I recommend you do a clutch fluid flush for starters. It's most likely that. If not, then it must be your clutch master cylinder.
Interesting tip thanks. I was actually looking forward to gettin a new aftermarket clutch, but if I really don't need it then why bother pay up. Amazing how I tell them my pedal sticks and they tell me I need a new clutch, when I never said the clutch wasn't working. Such crooks.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:54 PM
I was at dealership again, they keep telling me its my clutch, and/or the things involved with getting a new clutch, will fix the problem. Is this true????

I still don't have the problem, and the clutch itself does fine, until I've been driving awhile or the temp outside is too high, then the clutch pedal decides to be annoying. I don't want to buy a new clutch and then still have the problem.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:01 PM
Received 290 Likes on 218 Posts
Clutch fluid is brake fluids which is hygroscopic (water absorbing). I have no clue why people think fluids will last forever in this time and age. When was the last time you replaced clutch fluid on your vehicle. Go out and flush out your brake fluid and bleed it using quality dot 4 fluid. If that does not fix your problem then time to inspect the clutch line, master cylinder and slave.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by faiz23
Clutch fluid is brake fluids which is hygroscopic (water absorbing). I have no clue why people think fluids will last forever in this time and age. When was the last time you replaced clutch fluid on your vehicle. Go out and flush out your brake fluid and bleed it using quality dot 4 fluid. If that does not fix your problem then time to inspect the clutch line, master cylinder and slave.
Do what faiz23 said. i had the same problem in the past. be sure to replace the clutch fluid completely. dont do the partial fluid change thing that some ppl do where they swap the fluid in the reservoir and pump the clutch. that method is not as effective and doesn't last as long.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:36 PM
Well I'm under warranty. You guys are saying the fluid, cylinder, line, etc.

But the stealership keeps saying the clutch. WTF.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:38 PM
Should I just go to another dealership for second opinion? or a regular repair shop??

My stealership tells me my clutch is 'worn down to the rivets' which was like 3 months ago lol, and everything is fine no slippage. They claim after fixing clutch it will fix the problem. However with extensive research online with G35 and other cars, it has to do with lines/slave/master/fluid. Can I just sue my stealership already? It's about time I take their money.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:14 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
even if its under warranty they aren't going to be interested in doing a simple fluid change since its some actual effort with little profit. Of course they want to sell you a new clutch its a wearable part and your warranty wont cover it. Take your car to a local shop and have them do it or just do it yourself with the help of a friend. No reason to take it to the dealer for a fluid flush.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:32 PM
i feel like i can sue them if evidence proves its a cylinder and not the clutch. when are stealerships just going to be honest already. its like divorce court for my damn car.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine did that when it was hot. Turned out to be the slave cylinder.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by CBRworm
Mine did that when it was hot. Turned out to be the slave cylinder.
exactly, thats why i wanna kill my stealership. how do i get them to fix it! for warranty!

Old 09-18-2012, 11:22 PM
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts
Its pretty cheap to replace, if you have a trusted mechanic it shouldn't cost much.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-FACTORY-...sories&vxp=mtr

The following users liked this post:
SlickSilverG (09-19-2012)
Old 09-19-2012, 01:46 AM
Interesting.

Ok so I found this video clip on a corvette forum about taking care of your clutch/fluid.

I did what they did in the video used a baster, my fluid was a dark yellow, almost brown. Figure say butterscotch.

I pulled out the fluid, cleaned out the reservoir, put in new fluid. Then pumped the pedal. Did the same procedure again, and pumped the pedal. The second pull of fluid was much more yellow than the first time, which was a good sign.

I went for a drive, and it seemed better (placebo?) I tapped on the clutch in the freeplay zone and normally its a little dead feeling, but this time I could feel the vibration on it and it had good tension. I even tried driving a little harder, but its a little wet out so can't get full power on the clutch really, as the wheels will spin. The ultimate test will be driving when its more humid. It probably really is just a flush I need.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:03 AM
Here's another good video. Maybe our clutches are made the same way as GMs?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal sticking halfway - Slave/Master Cylinder? Stealership lying.