Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Motordyne Plenum Spacer Vs Crawford V5

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 09:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pdjafari
Ya I understand I was talkin 'worst case' and see how even the mere thought of it going that far could cause panic and I apologize if that occured!! Patiently waiting my Jan 10 RESCHEDULED date by the incompetent UPS
No prob, sorry if I sounded a bit harsh in my reply!

Mine is scheduled for delivery on Monday

Old 02-05-2005, 12:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is quote by hydrazine from one of the links he referenced:

"Running lean is a condition where the engine is not getting enough fuel. Running lean can lead to pinging and over time pinging will damage the engine. This typically occurs at high RPM.

But I wouldn't be concerned with the high AF plot shown on the prior post. Note that above 4K RPM the AF on the plot is between 14.5 to 14.2 at redline. Take away one point from that and its exactly where it should be. In the safe zone with 13.2 at redline. 13.2 is the sweet spot for power."

Hydrazine, I'm not trying to be an a$$ because I may be calling you to place an order for this. However, I'd like to ask you where you got the information that ~13.2 at redline is safe? I don't disagree with you that it's probably where you're getting max hp, but at the higher end of the rpm spectrum, max hp A/F and safe A/F are mutually exclusive for the sake of longevity.

Also, my A/F mixture is sub 13 at redline when taken at the tail pipe. If I take away 1 point, I would be sub 12 at redline. I think you would agree that this A/F is safer than 13+. So I guess my question is (and I don't know if anyone can answer this) will that 1+ part fuel make a difference in safety?

Old 02-05-2005, 02:53 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by al503
This is quote by hydrazine from one of the links he referenced:

"Running lean is a condition where the engine is not getting enough fuel. Running lean can lead to pinging and over time pinging will damage the engine. This typically occurs at high RPM.

But I wouldn't be concerned with the high AF plot shown on the prior post. Note that above 4K RPM the AF on the plot is between 14.5 to 14.2 at redline. Take away one point from that and its exactly where it should be. In the safe zone with 13.2 at redline. 13.2 is the sweet spot for power."

Hydrazine, I'm not trying to be an a$$ because I may be calling you to place an order for this. However, I'd like to ask you where you got the information that ~13.2 at redline is safe? I don't disagree with you that it's probably where you're getting max hp, but at the higher end of the rpm spectrum, max hp A/F and safe A/F are mutually exclusive for the sake of longevity.

Also, my A/F mixture is sub 13 at redline when taken at the tail pipe. If I take away 1 point, I would be sub 12 at redline. I think you would agree that this A/F is safer than 13+. So I guess my question is (and I don't know if anyone can answer this) will that 1+ part fuel make a difference in safety?
Hi Al,

I think part of the difference we may be seeing is the calibration difference in the dyno sniffers getting pluged up the tail pipe. Practically all the G35s dynoed at Church automotive are in that range, both stock and modified. Mine hasn't really changed much even with all the mods I put on.

The first time I saw my AF I freaked out like everyone else who sees them, so I took my car to 2 different dealerships and they were both saying the AF is exactly where it should be. They both said the plots I showed them were erroneously high. So this is why I don't put much into the AF plots from Church automotive. They may be good for relative comparisons but the absolute values probably aren't what they should be.

Here's a new link posted by Chris (a 350Z owner) on his install. His engine compartment is super clean.
http://www.hypersprite.com/auto/tech-z-002/index.asp

Last edited by Hydrazine; 02-05-2005 at 09:12 PM.