Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Clear Self-Learning ? P1273

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 10:36 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Clear Self-Learning ? P1273

G35 fans! Hey, I need some advice. Threw a code recently p1273 which I see here appears to be Air Fuel Ratio sensor... feeling a little incensed!! If I pick up and put in new sensor, how do I "clear self-learning" on ECU?? Is that possible?? Please offer some tips/advice.

tks!!!

Old 06-13-2013, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Motordyne's install guide for the plenum spacer elaborates on how to reset the ECU, is this what you are asking?

(See page 9) http://www.motordyneengineering.com/manual.pdf

Although to turn off self learning, that i couldn't tell you.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:35 PM
Urbaneng... Sir, thank your for your reply, time and link!! Much appreciated! Let me try to clarify as I'm not even sure what I'm asking. There's an Infiniti Service Bulletin that states after fixing the P1273/P1283 and P1274/P1284 codes one "must clear self-learning" and the OBDII procedures to do so. I'll include link the tech service bulletin. I wonder if this is same thing as our DIY gang here does with the 5 pedal press, count to 7, floor it-count to ten (both hands), let go-count both hands?? Do you think it's the same thing?
http://engine-codes.com/uploads/infiniti/ITB04-059.pdf

Last edited by ranhood; 06-13-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:54 PM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
Yes. The bulletin clearly says "clear ECU self-learning."

Old 06-13-2013, 11:41 PM
I do see that service bullet says to "clear self-learning"... what I'm not sure of is: is the 5 time pedal stomp, count to 7, full accelerator for 10, no accelerator for 10, ECU re-set process is the "clear self-learning" or if that just re-sets ECU. *self learning vs. re-set) Is that one in the same??? Thank you so much for feedback, help!

Old 06-15-2013, 01:00 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts
resetting ECU clears any learning tables....you can use the gas pedal procedure or you can just disconnect the negative on the battery and pump the brakes a few times. Works the same.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:59 PM
Just to let folks know how this ended. I reset ECU with the cool 5-pedal stomp dance, to see if same code P1273 would return to confirm. After 400 miles, no SES light. I would bet the AF Ratio sensor is going out. Will wait to replace. I just hate when folks don't post letting us all know how things ended. Either naked pelvic thrusts of joy or the still driving with same problems. ...just doing my little part! Tks for all the feedback and posts!!!!

The following 2 users liked this post by ranhood:
Jyounya (09-01-2018), yosip1115 (08-30-2015)
Old 08-25-2015, 09:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got code P1283

I got code P1283 , I have to replace O2 sensor, Bank 2 Sensor 1, then "clear Self learning" . I was looking to do this myself, are their any good DIY videos for this particular O2 sensor? How did you car end up after all this ?

Thanks

Old 08-26-2015, 12:02 AM
Mine has not tripped the SES light and working fine. So no replacing yet. After crawling around under and around - it looks like a pretty simple job - getting to it is the most difficult. You will want to borrow, buy or rent an O2 sensor socket. (part of which is cut out so you can slide over sensor with the wire.

If it were me, I'd do the ECU reset (5 pedal floor, wait 7 second, floor it for 10 secs...etc) a couple times see if light continues to come back. Also, try this cool trick that IvoryPearl posted to have the system relearn the air-fuel mixture.

http://infinitihelp.com/diy/gcoupe/p...f_learning.php

Let us know how it goes. Mine has 161k miles now with original sensors so they seem pretty reliable!!

The following users liked this post:
feelin.mighty (08-26-2015)
Old 08-26-2015, 02:26 AM
Originally Posted by ranhood
. Mine has 161k miles now with original sensors so they seem pretty reliable!!

So you never replaced any of the O2 sensors and 2 years later no ses ? Thats awesome ! If I understand you correctly, I can try the gas pedal procedure to Clear Self Learning or I can also just disconnect the negative on the battery and pump the brakes a few times?? If thats the case, can you break down the step by step for the gas pedal procedure or show me a link to the "how to" - Thanks , I just got this car 2 months ago and am trying to learn all this as I go

Old 08-30-2015, 09:58 PM
Sorry took so long to reply. I think this is much better way to reset ECU vs. disconnecting your battery!
ECU Resetting Procedures

Timing is extremely critical. If it is NOT DONE within the specify time, the ECU will not reset and the Check Engine Light (CEL) will continue to remain ON.

Operations Procedures

1. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON” and wait 3 seconds.
2. Repeat the following steps (2a and 2b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.
2a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD).
2b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
3. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the CEL starts blinking.
4. Fully release the accelerator pedal (while the CEL is still blinking)
5. Wait about 10 second.
6. Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for more than 10 seconds.
7. Fully release the accelerator pedal (The CEL light will continue to blink).
8. Turn ignition switch to “OFF” position and now you can start the car. The CEL light should be gone.
If the CEL light continues to remain ON, repeat the above steps. Timing is EXTREMELY critical to resetting the ECU.

To simplify... you get in car. turn ignition ON. Wait 3 seconds. While ignition on, step on gas pedal/release 5 times within 5 seconds (flooring it). Wait 7 seconds..... floor it for 10 sec... then as described above. That will reset the ECU! Let us know how it goes.

The following users liked this post:
feelin.mighty (09-02-2015)
Old 09-03-2015, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by ranhood
Sorry took so long to reply. I think this is much better way to reset ECU vs. disconnecting your battery!
ECU Resetting Procedures .

I keep forgetting to make the time to do this procedure. But I WILL do it by this weekend. On a side note, I was wondering if you had any suggestions for a good Transmission Fluid for the coupe. I know you are supposed to use Nissan Matic S. Is this the the only choice? Or are there any other brands? I did I 4 QT drain and refill at a mechanic but I doubt he used Matic S.