Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Car runs sluggish after oil cooler install.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 12:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car runs sluggish after oil cooler install.

G fans, so I finally had time to install my setrab oil cooler, aem wideband, oil temp, and oil pressure gauge. (sitting in garage for 9 months along w/ momentum turbo kit) Directions were pretty straight fwd, however after the install my car runs a bit funny. The car seems to run a little sluggish. Prior to the install I did prime the oil cooler with oil. Only thing I did extra is using TWO sandwich plates. One mogul plate that came with the oil cooler, the other was for the oil temp and oil pressure. There are NO LEAKS, not at connection points or the sandwich plates area. My oil level reads "H' on dipstick. Oil that I used is 10w30 Castrol Full Synthetic. (same oil as before) My gauges seems to be working fine. Any ideas??? I'm going to double check the connection point where I install the O2 sensor to my Berks HFC. It seems like im losing pressure and the exhaust note doesn't sound the same. (car feels like your going 20mph but in 3rd gear) thanks for help!

Old 07-08-2013, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,031 Likes on 948 Posts
I'm a newb here as a long time reader and not much contributor, so I would like to add that maybe resetting the ECU (pedal trick or unplug negative terminal for 30 minutes) could help your issue as your supposed to do that after every mod. Sorry if this doesn't help, you could also download the torque all for iPhone and get an iPhone-OBD2 cord for inboard diagnostics testing... Hope this helps.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:40 PM
I forgot to mentioned I unplug the neg term during the install. Upon connection, I did an ecu reset. Still not much diff. Thanks for the help n welcome to the board.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:59 PM
Car's running good now. I switched over to 5w 30, I guess with the oil cooler it took awhile for the oil to warm up I also installed a Z tube my buddy has laying around in his garage while I was over there showing him my handy work lol. Btw here are the pics of the gauges installed. Was gonna do a DIY but than realized that I had shitty pics for a write up. This was all I had on my phone.

Attached Thumbnails Car runs sluggish after oil cooler install.-gauges1.jpg   Car runs sluggish after oil cooler install.-gauges2.jpg   Car runs sluggish after oil cooler install.-gauges3.jpg   Car runs sluggish after oil cooler install.-gauges4.jpg   Car runs sluggish after oil cooler install.-gauges5.jpg  

Old 07-12-2013, 01:01 PM
Also have a 30 sec vid but don't know how to upload lol.

Attached Thumbnails Car runs sluggish after oil cooler install.-gauges6.jpg   Car runs sluggish after oil cooler install.-gauges7.jpg   Car runs sluggish after oil cooler install.-gauges8.jpg   Car runs sluggish after oil cooler install.-gauges9.jpg  
Old 07-12-2013, 01:10 PM
The gauges sits pretty tight. I also painted the casing flat black so it blends in with the background. I was able to adjust the gauges and have them sitting nice and even once I came to a stop light. So far everything is good, no strange noises or smells, car is running like before with just a bit more noise from the eng bay (z tube).

Old 07-12-2013, 07:21 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by pvdg35
Car's running good now. I switched over to 5w 30, I guess with the oil cooler it took awhile for the oil to warm up I also installed a Z tube my buddy has laying around in his garage while I was over there showing him my handy work lol. Btw here are the pics of the gauges installed. Was gonna do a DIY but than realized that I had shitty pics for a write up. This was all I had on my phone.
The oil cooler was just doing it's job, that's why the oil wouldn't warm up quicker.
If you get to installing that turbo kit you will see the full benefit of having it.

The following users liked this post:
Shanes_G (07-12-2013)