Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

NWP Big Bore 75mm Throttle Body Kit Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 03:10 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
jus finished reading all this. mostly interesting towards the end pages. the beginning is jus repetive comments

http://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhau...ttle-body.html

Old 09-29-2013, 11:10 AM
Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts
I'm curious why people won't put any trust in a larger throttle body but will gladly fork over a couple hundred bucks for a plenum spacer. Spacer is creating more volume inside the plenum in order to feed more air to the lower runners / head / engine. Larger throttle body is putting more air into the plenum in order to feed the lower runners / head / engine. More air in always helps (up to a point of diminishing returns that an N/A VQ hasn't hit yet). Why do you think Independent Throttle Bodies are effective?

The basics of an engine working, last I checked, included air - fuel - spark. Increasing these (preferably in an even quantity if possible) helps the engine work better.

I'm just trying to understand the train of thought that any of the people doubting this are taking. I must surely be missing something so help me understand why you think a larger throttle body would not be beneficial, please.

I think I've read most of the my350 thread in the past, I would recommend spending some time on Maxima.org. The folks there are also dealing with VQs but have almost a non-existent aftermarket for support so they've gotten creative and a lot of their ideas carry over. It's worth signing up and spending some time seeing what those guys are doing.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by OBsessed
I'm curious why people won't put any trust in a larger throttle body but will gladly fork over a couple hundred bucks for a plenum spacer. Spacer is creating more volume inside the plenum in order to feed more air to the lower runners / head / engine. Larger throttle body is putting more air into the plenum in order to feed the lower runners / head / engine. More air in always helps (up to a point of diminishing returns that an N/A VQ hasn't hit yet). Why do you think Independent Throttle Bodies are effective?

Larger is not always better, but I agree with you too many people doubt it. I don't doubt It myself, but 90% of my spirited driving is in the lower rpm range. This mod as per NWP only increases top end power. My thermodynamics knowledge tells me a larger port should shift the RPM curve, not just boost it at the top end. Until I can see a true independent dyno test (not dynojet) I will not stand behind this mod.

The basics of an engine working, last I checked, included air - fuel - spark. Increasing these (preferably in an even quantity if possible) helps the engine work better.

I'm just trying to understand the train of thought that any of the people doubting this are taking. I must surely be missing something so help me understand why you think a larger throttle body would not be beneficial, please.

I think I've read most of the my350 thread in the past, I would recommend spending some time on Maxima.org. The folks there are also dealing with VQs but have almost a non-existent aftermarket for support so they've gotten creative and a lot of their ideas carry over. It's worth signing up and spending some time seeing what those guys are doing.

I love the level of detail people at the maxima website go into because of the DIY types over there! I need to find a mod to exploit .
Else other than above, how does the NWP work without a plenum spacer? Everyone with the NWP currently has a plenum spacer.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:41 PM
I would imagine with a non-rev lower plenum you would see a boost in the mid-range. I'm setting myself up for top end so I won't be a good test case. I'm also installing mine on a Kinetix Velocity and plan to re-tune for 8k-8500 when the rebuild is done. I can't help with the dyno tuning, and probably wouldn't anyway, because I won't have a before and after. But seeing as how these engines enjoy revving, and my non-interest in 1/4 mile trips, I'm all for revving as high as possible.

I'm really just curious what people who aren't all about it are thinking. I don't understand and would like to. You've stated you would not stand behind the mod, is it strictly because of the change in the power band or is there more to it? Can't blame you for not wanting to change the power band higher if that's not what you're after, but yours is the first response I've seen with an actual answer.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:05 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
well cannot fully compare a fwd vq vs a rwd vq. theyre tuned very differently and have totally different intake manifolds. i always felt one of the reason the rwd vq doesnt really respond well to bolt ons is becus the engine is pretty maxed out from the factory compared to the fwd vq of the same year. becus the fwd is so tuned down and restricted air flow (smaller manifold) it has more room for improvement?

plus doesnt the maxima guys use way larger intakes to go with the sort of larger tb? so air flow is increased thru the entire intake leading to the manifold vs jus an increase at the tb while the intake is the same size? and isnt it the case that more air doesnt always equal more hp thats why the 5/16 spacer is a better choice to the 3/8 or 1/2 inch spacer? idk maybe i got it wrong

Old 09-29-2013, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by saywat?
well cannot fully compare a fwd vq vs a rwd vq. theyre tuned very differently and have totally different intake manifolds. i always felt one of the reason the rwd vq doesnt really respond well to bolt ons is becus the engine is pretty maxed out from the factory compared to the fwd vq of the same year. becus the fwd is so tuned down and restricted air flow (smaller manifold) it has more room for improvement?

Fair point, and to assume equality in gains would be a mistake so you're correct there. However, if you looked at a percentage increase from A to B you would get a rough idea of what will occur on a VQ, regardless of which wheels are being pushed right? It might not be exact, but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone lose power with a larger TB unless they did something wrong. Also, you'd be surprised how big a bottlekneck the factory plenum's turn is on our car. It was a not a great design choice, we're better off than the FWD cars but only slightly.

plus doesnt the maxima guys use way larger intakes to go with the sort of larger tb? so air flow is increased thru the entire intake leading to the manifold vs jus an increase at the tb while the intake is the same size? and isnt it the case that more air doesnt always equal more hp thats why the 5/16 spacer is a better choice to the 3/8 or 1/2 inch spacer? idk maybe i got it wrong

They do use larger intakes, and we should to! Going up to a 3.5" (or even better 4") intake tube AND MAF housing - while it requires a (re)tune - is beneficial even without the larger throttle body! Jake aka juicinjake logged the hell out of it while he was fitting his larger TB and building his oversized tube and that's what finally drove him to making the 3.5" tube he, to the best of my knowledge, is still running. Keep in mind this was a year + ago, long before the NWP kit was even being thought of. If you upgrade the size of the TB and don't touch the intake tube you're doing it wrong, quite frankly. Or at least leaving power on the table for no great reason.
Also on the front vs rear wheel drive - the Maxima guys that have had the best success have gone ahead and made their own intakes all together. So you can do with that what you will. It's going to ruin any apples to apples comparisons either way.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:23 PM
To expand on the intake tube comment - if you've ever noticed that there's no real significant gains in aftermarket intakes (generalization, but not far off) and ever wondered why, consider for a moment that they're all the same size...

Old 09-30-2013, 12:55 AM
Super Moderator

Angry

Originally Posted by saywat?

The choke point of the plenum is still the same size.

Also, 5/16 is a better choice for me as I want midrange power. 1/2 is a better choice for OBset because he wants high RPM power. No size is "perfect." Motordyne sells both for what the consumer wants out of it.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Else other than above, how does the NWP work without a plenum spacer? Everyone with the NWP currently has a plenum spacer.
you say most of your spirited driving is down low. do you have test pipes? I have ART pipes and those make ridiculous power/tq down low. so I think with those test pipes this big bore TB could be just the shift in a powerband that would make power from down low to up high. I read on my350z guys saying it feels like Vtech on a VQ from the kick it gives up high. I guess ill have to find out for myself and post on it.

just worried about loosing to much power down low. I too love to rip it down low

Old 10-13-2013, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

You wont lose that much. It will sound very nice although

Old 11-06-2013, 11:22 AM
Installed the NWP 75mm tb and have to say I love it. Most easy bolt on mod and great power gains. Been driving around normal, getting on itwhen needed but just basicdriving for the most part and noticedmy mpg was through the roof ~23mpg. When I started to drive consistently aggressive noticed that mpg dropped ~17mpg. Gas aside the mod didnt seem to take much from my low end the torque and hp it is still very satisfying. Throttle response is increased significantly so is the speed the rpm's increase, especially from around 3700-5000 but I almost hit the rev limiter from 5000-7000 because the time it took was so short I shifted right at 7199rpm's lol. Really awesome mod if you have already beefed up airflow mods: intake manifold, test pipes or hfc, and hi flow exhaust.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thinking about getting this for my build, been waiting on reviews and so far all are good

Old 11-23-2013, 11:11 PM
get a 3 in or 75mm intake tube

Old 11-18-2016, 02:17 AM
So can you have a 5/16 plenum spacer with the 75mm TB? Also would having MD ART pipes + MD plenum spacer + 75mm TB + 3.5" intake produce increased power throughout the power band or would one negate another? Sorry for the newb question, going to start modding my car soon and I want to know whats best for overall performance. 2006 Coupe 5at

Old 11-18-2016, 11:10 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
If you are going for a power increase, remember this. You will spend a lot to gain a little so be really careful before you start down a road you might regret. Without a tune the mods you listed will give minimal gains which honestly you will barely feel. They will dramatically alter the sound of your ride but if you add a reputable exhaust then a tune you will get noticeable gains but be forewarned, you're looking at spending over $2000 to get them. Whether or not it's worth it is a question only you can answer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: NWP Big Bore 75mm Throttle Body Kit Review