Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Need Help!!! New Plenum And An Overheating Car!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 09:51 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need Help!!! New Plenum And An Overheating Car!

Today I just switched my stock plenum out for a Kinetix V4. The install went relatively smooth and in a couple hours everything was on. I took the car out for a drive (it sounded great) and then I came to a stop light. Smoke started rising up from the hood yet my temp gauges were reading normal. I pulled over and popped the hood and noticed that one of the coolant hoses below the Throttle Acuator had slid off and sprayed coolant all over the the entire engine bay. So I went home, took of the plenum, securely reconnected the coolant hose, put the plenum back on, and I was good to go. Suprisingly the coolant hadn't dropped much, only about a quarter, and was still close to max. I turned the car on again and after a while the the fan started going full speed. Checked the hoses and coolant, and everything was fine. Then I watched the temo gauge starting going up until I eventually cut the engine off. What the hell is going on here??? Can anyone help me out???

Old 02-03-2005, 10:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the engine temp rise and fall?? Only thing I can think of is thermostat or waterpump, but I havent heard of any G's having issues with either of these parts. I would put on the stock plenum and take it in for service. It might be possible that you checked your coolant when the car was cold?? Start the car and try to leave it on to warm up and check the coolant level NOT from the radiator cap (but if you see the temp continue to go up to dang. levels shut off the car) but from the overflow tank. But again I would try to take it in for service, assuming you can make it to the dealer w/o overheating!! Im curious as to how/why the coolant hose just slid off, those darn things are placed on so tightly!!

Old 02-03-2005, 11:00 PM
Kinetix has a piece that attaches on to their plenum's called a "cooling block" which is essentially an adapter piece for the stock coolant hoses. Therefore you have to disconnect the stock hoses from the throttle body and eventually reconnet it to the cooling block. I believe I simply didn't slide the hose clamp up far enough and when I accelerated the car hard, the hose slid off. I did check the coolant level in the tank when the car was hot and it appears that is gone down even further. I'm going to go out and got some fluid, fill up the tank again, and give it a shot. Chances are this is the problem but if not, I'll through the stock plenum back on and take the G to the dealer. Thanks for the advice and if anyone else has anything they can contribute, I'd appreciate it.

Old 02-04-2005, 11:12 AM
I was once told by one of the 350Z guys (Chris Cagle I think) that sometimes the cooling block is blocked. Take the plenum off and check the "cooling block" for free flow. Remove any blockage and try it again.

Old 02-04-2005, 11:36 AM
You probably got air in the system. Maybe you should try to bleed the system if that doesn't work.

Old 02-04-2005, 07:09 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. I worked on things for a while today and indeed it was a problem with the cooling system. I was able to get everything fixed without having to take it to the dealer (so as far as their concerned, the warranty is still good ) and the engine is running at normal temp now.

Old 02-04-2005, 10:53 PM
Anytime you either get a leak in your coolant lines or refill the coolant, you have to bleed the system because air pockets will cause your car to overheat. You cant just put the coolant line back on and forget about it.

Trending Topics

Old 02-05-2005, 01:33 AM
How do you "bleed" it?

Old 02-05-2005, 07:58 PM
Open up the bleeder valve which I believe is near the battery, fill up from the radiator cap (while engine is cold) until you see coolant come through the bleeder valve. Close cap, run engine let it warm up. Check fluid level again from overflow tank, and repeat as necessary until it is full.

Birdman, what did it turn out to be?? What did you do to fix the issue??

Old 02-07-2005, 02:40 AM
Ya, that was definately from vapor-lock. Any air pockets in a cooling system will ruin your day.

Old 02-07-2005, 05:56 AM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Birdman-
You need to 'bleed' the air caused by the leak back out of the engine. Your coolant level in the overflow reservoir is false, and you may have lost much more coolant than you originally thought.

Make sure first that the two 1/2" coolant connections aft of the throttle valve are tight and clamped properly, then either bleed the air from the system and refill, or have the dealer do it.
Once air gets into the cooling system, it can get stuck in odd places including the heater core and cylinder heads, causing an overheating situation. You don't want that.
C.

Old 03-20-2005, 04:24 PM
It's not the critic......
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It wasn't obvious to me where the bleed valve is.......can someone post a pic pointing to it please?

I had the same problem as birdman, except i forgot to hook up the hose when i did the spacer install! I had the water temp going up and down....... i know at first there wasnt enough fluid and then there was air in the system that prevents good circulation.....i have filled (1 gallon), driven, cooled, then filled (1/2 gallon) driven and cooled, then filled (2 cups) driven and cooled 3 times now each time it takes a little less..........the water temp is stable now but would like to make sure all air is out of the system.....and by the way the coolant reservoir stayed at the same level the entire time i went through this filling process.........

and i now have a gurgling sound in the dash above my feet (most likely air in the heater core)

How would you clean the engine bay of all the coolant? I wiped all that I could see from the top (firewall, hoses, fitting, etc) but I know there is plenty down low and places i can't see.......I can still smell the sweet coolant smell.........i bought a can of engine degreaser.......it says to spray on, leave it and then hose off the engine being careful not to spray water on electrical sensors etc. isn't that impossible?

Old 03-20-2005, 08:29 PM
It's not the critic......
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bazz.......thanks so much for the post! I followed the heater hose and sure enough the AIR RELIEF PLUG is near the battery.....it is on the passenger side, near the battery, near the firewall behind a wire loom located on the heater hose right before it goes thru the firewall.......i did not see it the first time i looked back there......i removed the radiator cap, then the plug and sure enough the water level dropped a little bit.....i refilled at the radiator neck, but it got full before it came out the relief hole.......i put everuthing back together and the gurgle noise is still there......i will have to repeat this step over and over until all the air is out.....im letting the car cool and might get 1 more in tonight start again tomorrow night......

maybe i need to get a small tube/funnel and fill from the air relief hole? anyone have a comment? how do they get the air out at the dealer? this doesnt seem to be a one shot deal.....is the try and try again method the only way?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need Help!!! New Plenum And An Overheating Car!