Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

NWP75mm throttle body 15hp- Still not convinced

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,030 Likes on 947 Posts
There is just "a point" where any more spent on mods just isn't worth it. You won't get your money back is what I'm getting at. The "base value" of your car is self explanatory.

This is by no means to berate the G, but seriously 2K$ in breather mods for a little more pep? Check your finances. Do I need to spell that out for you? 250$ spacer, 250$ 3.5" tube, 300$ (ehh) NWP TB (it is cheaper then OEM), 400$ headers, 300$ HFC's, 500$+ Cat back. This all nets for maybe 30 HP which you now need a tune and that's 500$ to make sure you are not running lean enough.

If you can afford it, congratu-****ing-lations. Make sure to pay your child support.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:01 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
get ur money back?

Old 11-07-2013, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

My god.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:15 PM
hey jus trying to get a clear understand of wat ur preaching here. cus some of it doesn't make sense . either im dumb or its ur choice of words lol

Old 11-07-2013, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

I am confusing with my terrible paragraph structure. Yes.

I am saying this upgrade would have been perfect years ago. For many people (including me) a brand new TB would be an upgrade over the original from the car. Now this increased TB size is great if your car already has breather mods.

Example? Blue dream has a full exhaust on his sedan, plus he is sporting a fancy clean stainless steel cold air intake.

OBsessed has a heavily modded G with an aftermarket exhaust and intake (3.5") to support the NWP.

On their cars it is worth it for sure.

You need to increase in all of these areas too, or you are trying to shove a cube into a circular hole. You aren't receiving the full benefit of this mod without these supporters. That is why NWP does not do extensive testing on it with a stock G. One dyno run...

More data will surface eventually that will support the whole breather package.

Until then you need to mod to meet the bar.

For ME? I will wait till my TB fails before I buy the expanded TB.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:34 PM
Lol at the example references. But So only new n expensive cars are only worthy of mods is wat ur saying?

Old 11-08-2013, 01:41 PM
Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
I am confusing with my terrible paragraph structure. Yes.

I am saying this upgrade would have been perfect years ago. For many people (including me) a brand new TB would be an upgrade over the original from the car. Now this increased TB size is great if your car already has breather mods.

Example? Blue dream has a full exhaust on his sedan, plus he is sporting a fancy clean stainless steel cold air intake.

OBsessed has a heavily modded G with an aftermarket exhaust and intake (3.5") to support the NWP.

On their cars it is worth it for sure.

You need to increase in all of these areas too, or you are trying to shove a cube into a circular hole. You aren't receiving the full benefit of this mod without these supporters. That is why NWP does not do extensive testing on it with a stock G. One dyno run...

More data will surface eventually that will support the whole breather package.

Until then you need to mod to meet the bar.

For ME? I will wait till my TB fails before I buy the expanded TB.
You never get your money back from mods. That's why everyone parts out all the aftermarket stuff and goes back to stock to sell or trade in, unless it's just not feasible in the case of built motors with FI. My car's actually not all that modded, power-wise. All of my time and money up until very recently has gone into the suspension and chassis. I'm still running stock cats even, lol. I have the 3.5" intake tube, NWP throttle body, Kinetix Velocity, and a Motordyne Gamma single w/XYZ. That's the extent of it, for now. I wasn't even going to bother with installing the NWP on the current engine (it's burning oil, I was going to save it for the rebuild) but when the 3.5" tubes popped up for sale I said hey why not?

Oh, also have the aluminum 1 piece drive shaft but that doesn't actually add power, just feel, and a tune of course to make everything work. Doing a mod as an investment isn't going to pay off though, you do it for the fun, the challenge, or whatever other personal reasons you've got, but fiscally speaking - modifying cars isn't where it's at.

And this "mod" has been available since 2010 if you were willing to work for it, just not as a kit. I think that's about the time the Maxima VQ guys realized the new Max's had been upgraded and started retrofitting them.

The following users liked this post:
Urbanengineer (11-08-2013)
Old 11-08-2013, 01:43 PM
You are correct about the 3.5" intake being a big deal though. I would absolutely not bother with doing JUST the throttle body, personally. As I've said before, it's kind of half-assing it. And it forces you to get a tune to compensate the MAF readings, which is also a good thing. So when you consider all that it loses some bang for the buck value, and I absolutely take back my earlier stance on the subject. I did notice an improvement with just the TB, but the difference is so huge with the new intake that you owe it to yourself to both if you can.

Old 11-08-2013, 01:45 PM
yup people don't mod their car to increase its value. they do it to increase its appeal to the owner and that's it (mostly). it usually has the opposite affect. in the used car market a 100% clean stock car will go for more than a modified car of the same make and model. and easier to sell

Old 11-08-2013, 02:55 PM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
you don't need a bigger intake, the TB's effect on pressure changes is where the gains are not the flow

Old 11-08-2013, 03:41 PM
so I could have a cai, change the mid pip to a 3.5 while the front and back pipe is 2.75 and have the same effect as the tb mod?

Old 11-08-2013, 08:32 PM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
no, the TB controls the pressure

Old 11-08-2013, 08:36 PM
nm I thought u meant air flow pressure from the intake. but im thinking u meant controlling the air pressure through the flap. but I could be wrong again lol

Old 11-08-2013, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by SDGenius
you don't need a bigger intake, the TB's effect on pressure changes is where the gains are not the flow
I'm not following you. Not arguing either because I don't understand what you're saying. I noticed a big difference with the larger intake compared to z-tube and NWP. Why would that be?

Old 11-08-2013, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

I was in a mood last night sorry! Great points here!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: NWP75mm throttle body 15hp- Still not convinced