Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

TC-W3 marine two stroke oil as a gasoline additive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 06:55 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
I suggest using Nissan recommended ester oil. Personally I tend to trust teams of highly educated engineers with decades of experience, opposed to a handful of guys of a forum pouring random crap from autozone in their cars. Just because your car sounds like a lawnmower, doesnt mean you should put lawnmower oil in it.
You trust the people who have admitted to an oil consumption problem but refused to fix the problem( for less then $15k) if it was unnoticed until after the warranty period?

Originally Posted by JayVQ
I have to admit I am curious about this and it is all over the net with people using it and claiming positive results. I am also interested in the long term affects since it seems this does go back a ways but have yet to find anyone posting results from several thousand of miles of usage.
What he said ^

Old 11-13-2013, 07:39 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Originally Posted by Babyseat
You trust the people who have admitted to an oil consumption problem but refused to fix the problem( for less then $15k) if it was unnoticed until after the warranty period?
Oil consumption is caused by ring wear. There is nothing you can do to fix the problem except rebuild the engine. Dumping some weedwacker oil in your gas tank is only going to make the problem worse.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JayVQ
I have to admit I am curious about this and it is all over the net with people using it and claiming positive results. I am also interested in the long term affects since it seems this does go back a ways but have yet to find anyone posting results from several thousand of miles of usage.
As I said before being 'Trolled'... I used it in my 2001 Maxima for ~3yrs/40kmiles. w/ good results. The engine ran great, but rust never sleeps so it had to go. So far I'm up to almost 4k in the G35x. I'm noticing the typical results; decreased engine noise/vibration, +2-3mpg(city) & better low end throttle response. If the G35x follows the same route as the Maxima, it'll continue to improve over time. It takes a while to get the full benefits as the deposits clean out of the engine. If nothing else TC-W3 could be an economical way to reduce the detrimental effects of ethanol/contaminants in fuel. I hope this helps.

See the originating thread. http://www.ls1.com/forums/f48/been-t...6/#post1545356 Granted it's >50pages but there are ~5yrs. of posts. There may be other forums w/ long term users.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:26 PM
Oil consumption is caused by ring wear. There is nothing you can do to fix the problem except rebuild the engine. Dumping some weedwacker oil in your gas tank is only going to make the problem worse.
Maybe there is some unseen reason it works, but as far as the ring wear is concerned I have never had another motor nor do I know of another motor with such an oil consumption problem that the manufacturer has done nothing (again for the people who did not notice the problem until warranty had run out) to rectify the problem when they have admitted to a design flaw

The following users liked this post:
BobPezz (11-14-2013)
Old 11-14-2013, 04:39 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
2 stroke oil is known for causing ring deposits but you suggest using it to lower ring deposits. I dont see your logic. That is like using a high carb diet to loose weight.
Why can't you eat high carbs and loose weight? As long as the calorie count is lower than your expenditure, you will net weight loss.

Looks like you owned yourself there genius

BobPezz (11-14-2013)
Old 11-14-2013, 04:41 PM
You make a very good point sir

Old 11-14-2013, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by Babyseat
Maybe there is some unseen reason it works, but as far as the ring wear is concerned I have never had another motor nor do I know of another motor with such an oil consumption problem that the manufacturer has done nothing (again for the people who did not notice the problem until warranty had run out) to rectify the problem when they have admitted to a design flaw
Interesting that the VQ30 series had no oil burning problems even after >200k miles. There's a lot of controversy on this issue, since it doesn't affect all VQ35 engines. One theory is that it's due to changes in the VQ35 PCV system. Which causes the ring packs to gum up & not seal properly against the cylinder wall. That could account for some reports that TC-W3 may reduce oil consumption. As the ring packs are cleaned, they seal better, oil consumption drops.

If you have an oil consumption problem it's worth trying, what have you got to lose? A few dollars for a qt. of oil. My use of TC-W3 as a preventative measure, will hopefully make oil consumption a non-issue.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Why can't you eat high carbs and loose weight? As long as the calorie count is lower than your expenditure, you will net weight loss.

Looks like you owned yourself there genius
Good point! That said, the genius 'Troll' kept harping on the 2-stroke oil aspect of the thing. It's a minor factor, the 2-stroke oil is used @ 1oz./4-5gals.of fuel = 512-640/1 ratio. Over 100 times less than what's used in a 2-stroke engine. In even the best top tier fuels, there's likely to be a higher concentration of water & contaminants in the 10% ethanol. The oil is just a good way to get the TC-W3 additive package into the fuel system, since 2-stroke oil is meant to mix w/ gas.

Last edited by BobPezz; 11-14-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by BobPezz
Interesting that the VQ30 series had no oil burning problems even after >200k miles. There's a lot of controversy on this issue, since it doesn't affect all VQ35 engines. One theory is that it's due to changes in the VQ35 PCV system. Which causes the ring packs to gum up & not seal properly against the cylinder wall. That could account for some reports that TC-W3 may reduce oil consumption. As the ring packs are cleaned, they seal better, oil consumption drops.

If you have an oil consumption problem it's worth trying, what have you got to lose? A few dollars for a qt. of oil. My use of TC-W3 as a preventative measure, will hopefully make oil consumption a non-issue.
Also interesting that the VQ30 isnt known for having oil burning issues. Who would have that thought that dumping weedwacker oil in your gas tank would help to prevent a non existent problem.

Cleaning the ring build up would not lessen oil consumption. The one any only way to lessen oil consumption is rebuild the engine.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:17 PM
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Old 11-14-2013, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by GR6RR
No popcorn needed. The ignore list is a great 'Troll' repellant!

Old 11-14-2013, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Old 11-15-2013, 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
The ignore list is the best 'Troll Repellent' on the site. I don't have to put up with the 'Trolling' ish!!!

Last edited by BobPezz; 11-15-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:57 AM
At least you finally posted something worthwhile in this thread. I was serious about giving you a job BTW. I do quite a bit of work at Pilgrim station in your area, we have a very big project going on right now and could use some more construction support (as long as you are not a union piece of sh*t).

Old 11-15-2013, 01:07 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Had to laugh at that one. Fits like a friken' glove

Urbanengineer (12-02-2013)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: TC-W3 marine two stroke oil as a gasoline additive