Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

TC-W3 marine two stroke oil as a gasoline additive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 10:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TC-W3 marine two stroke oil as a gasoline additive

I noticed this helpful info. RE: VQ powered vehicles didn't appear in a G35Driver.com search. Apologies if this thread/link duplicates another. The info. was posted on Maxima.org w/ skepticism. That said, "TC-W3 Marine 2-Stroke Oil As A Gasoline Additive" WORKS AS ADVERTISED. I started using it in my VQ30DEK powered 2001 Maxima @ ~120K miles & over time saw a noticeable improvement in overall engine performance. I.E. ~2-3MPG(city) increase, More low end torque/linear power delivery/engine smoothness & decreased noise from the fuel pump/injectors/engine internals. There are reports of decreased oil consumption w/ VQ35DE powered Maximas.

Knowing the VQ35DE is prone to oil consumption issues. I started using TC-W3 in my G35x from day 1 of ownership @ 66K & notice similar benefits as it cleans engine deposits & lubricates components. The car has <70K & is close to it's 1st oil change. I've checked oil level weekly to gauge consumption, it initially dropped slightly but stabilized @ ~1/8" below full. The only downside is the cleaning of carbon/combustion deposits show on the back of my white car. But there's no carbon left in my tailpipes, evidence of TC-W3 at work. For more info. see the link below & originating link in the post.

http://forums.maxima.org/8784502-post1.html

Last edited by BobPezz; 11-09-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:24 AM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
2-stroke oils contain high blend of mineral spirits. Using it will decrease your HP. The reason you see less carbon deposits is 2-stroke oil has very high % of detergent additives, about 50x that in regular gas. The detergent has high phosphorous content, which is well known to cause deposits in a 4stroke engine. It will eventually lead to piston ring deposits and cylinder wear and then blowby and ruin your cats and throw codes.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:16 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts
I'm curious to what the long-term effects would be. Nobody has a clue it seems and only mention "short term" effects.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
2-stroke oils contain high blend of mineral spirits. Using it will decrease your HP. The reason you see less carbon deposits is 2-stroke oil has very high % of detergent additives, about 50x that in regular gas. The detergent has high phosphorous content, which is well known to cause deposits in a 4stroke engine. It will eventually lead to piston ring deposits and cylinder wear and then blowby and ruin your cats and throw codes.
Apparently you didn't read the originating posts citing the opposite effects you describe. The articles/posts mentioned describe results obtained w/ MODERN Synthetic/Blend based TC-W3 rated oils. Specifically designed for use w/ water cooled marine 2-stroke engines, NOT the stuff used in a weed-whacker. I hope this clears things up.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by BobPezz
Apparently you didn't read the originating posts citing the opposite effects you describe. The articles/posts mentioned describe results obtained w/ MODERN Synthetic/Blend based TC-W3 rated oils. Specifically designed for use w/ water cooled marine 2-stroke engines, NOT the stuff used in a weed-whacker. I hope this clears things up.
You cleared it up perfectly.
Specifically designed for use w/ water cooled marine 2-stroke engines
Last time I checked the VQ was not a water cooled marine 2-stroke engine.

Old 11-09-2013, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by Tolboothwilley™
I'm curious to what the long-term effects would be. Nobody has a clue it seems and only mention "short term" effects.
I ran it for ~3yrs in the Maxima w/ no problems. In fact it ran better the longer I used it. The same results were reported by others there, unfortunately a majority of the original Maxima.org thread was deleted. As said before, the technical information is available in the link to the new thread. The originating post results are based on long term tests w/ aircraft engines. It's buried somewhere in ~15 pages on the subject there. I'm not about to read through it all again, especially when I get the kind of reception seen below.

You cleared it up perfectly.

Last time I checked the VQ was not a water cooled marine 2-stroke engine.
True enough, when taken out of context. The key point (had it been read) is that TC-W3 2-stroke oil, reduces the detrimental effects of Ethanol in fuel for any engine.

I passed the info onto the G35 forum as a service, not to get trolled!

Old 11-10-2013, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by Tolboothwilley™
Here's the link to the original 2008 post RE: TC-W3 as a fuel additive. There's plenty of long term users who were initially skeptical (as I was) but figured it was worth trying. They report the same good results. http://www.ls1.com/forums/f48/been-t...6/#post1545356

TC-W3 may be a way to prevent/reduce VQ35 oil consumption. Since it's well known to be caused by ring pack issues, keeping them clean/lubricated should be beneficial. Same goes for other fuel system/engine components negatively affected by Ethanol in fuel.

Hopefully I won't get 'trolled' again for this post. But if so, the ignore list is an option.

Last edited by BobPezz; 11-10-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:27 PM
2 stroke oil is known for causing ring deposits but you suggest using it to lower ring deposits. I dont see your logic. That is like using a high carb diet to loose weight.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:27 PM
2 stroke oil is known for causing ring deposits but you suggest using it to lower ring deposits. I dont see your logic. That is like using a high carb diet to loose weight.
I suggest you READ THIS THREAD http://www.ls1.com/forums/f48/been-t...6/#post1545356 & draw your own conclusion. Instead of spouting old wives tales.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:56 PM
I suggest using Nissan recommended ester oil. Personally I tend to trust teams of highly educated engineers with decades of experience, opposed to a handful of guys of a forum pouring random crap from autozone in their cars. Just because your car sounds like a lawnmower, doesnt mean you should put lawnmower oil in it.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:42 PM
I suggest using Nissan recommended ester oil. Personally I tend to trust teams of highly educated engineers with decades of experience, opposed to a handful of guys of a forum pouring random crap from autozone in their cars. Just because your car sounds like a lawnmower, doesnt mean you should put lawnmower oil in it.
WOW, I really don't know how to respond to your circular logic! You go from old wives tales of criticism at using 2-Stroke oil as a FUEL ADDITIVE, which FYI is meant to be mixed w/ gasoline. To Nissan recommended ester oil that is used in the crankcase of 4-stroke engines. AS A FUEL ADDITIVE??? You really need to keep your lines of BS straight 'Buddiee boy' & try to stay on topic. Rather than twisting it when challenged to actually READ & LEARN something new. Sorry if that exceeds the 140 character limit 'tweets' you're apparently ONLY used to reading &/or comprehending. I blame myself for entering a discussion with an idiot... Because they'll try to drag you down to their level & beat you with experience.

As far as experience goes I've worked in the automotive field for roughly 40yrs. part of that is 30yrs. experience as a prototype machinist for a respected automotive, aerospace & military sub-contractor. I've worked with "teams of highly educated engineers with decades of experience" & aeronautical/rocket scientists from; the FAA, NASA, JPL, Boeing, Grumman, Lockheed, McDonnell Douglass, Hughes, Martin Marietta, Matra, Northrup etc. In fact every high-tech name you can think of in automotive/military/aerospace/electronic companies needing parts for mission critical applications. The last job I worked on there was for the mars rovers (Spirit & Opportunity). Should I mention my 3.98 GPA, Phi Theta Kappa & National Deans List honors to show I'm "highly educated with decades of experience" too? So in closing, I suggest you learn to keep your sophomoric mouth shut until you know more than hearsay on a topic.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by BobPezz
WOW, I really don't know how to respond to your circular logic! You go from old wives tales of criticism at using 2-Stroke oil as a FUEL ADDITIVE, which FYI is meant to be mixed w/ gasoline. To Nissan recommended ester oil that is used in the crankcase of 4-stroke engines. AS A FUEL ADDITIVE??? You really need to keep your lines of BS straight 'Buddiee boy' & try to stay on topic. Rather than twisting it when challenged to actually READ & LEARN something new. Sorry if that exceeds the 140 character limit 'tweets' you're apparently ONLY used to reading &/or comprehending. I blame myself for entering a discussion with an idiot... Because they'll try to drag you down to their level & beat you with experience.

As far as experience goes I've worked in the automotive field for roughly 40yrs. part of that is 30yrs. experience as a prototype machinist for a respected automotive, aerospace & military sub-contractor. I've worked with "teams of highly educated engineers with decades of experience" & aeronautical/rocket scientists from; the FAA, NASA, JPL, Boeing, Grumman, Lockheed, McDonnell Douglass, Hughes, Martin Marietta, Matra, Northrup etc. In fact every high-tech name you can think of in automotive/military/aerospace/electronic companies needing parts for mission critical applications. The last job I worked on there was for the mars rovers (Spirit & Opportunity). Should I mention my 3.98 GPA, Phi Theta Kappa & National Deans List honors to show I'm "highly educated with decades of experience" too? So in closing, I suggest you learn to keep your sophomoric mouth shut until you know more than hearsay on a topic.
I dont get how you taking orders from educated people means you have any idea what you are talking about. Just because I hire a group of illegals from Home Depot to mow my lawn doesn't mean they are suddenly environmental engineers.

I am glad to hear that you are good at following directions, I constantly have a hard time in my job finding contractors that will follow my designs with the level of precision I demand. If you are looking for a job, send me your resume and I will see if I find something for you.

BTW, since you enjoy pouring random crap in your engine, you should pick up some NOS. I heard it gives great gains.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:06 PM
Here is a thread talking about the benefits of using NOS fuel additive.

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226570

Old 11-12-2013, 04:57 PM
Old 11-13-2013, 03:39 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I have to admit I am curious about this and it is all over the net with people using it and claiming positive results. I am also interested in the long term affects since it seems this does go back a ways but have yet to find anyone posting results from several thousand of miles of usage.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: TC-W3 marine two stroke oil as a gasoline additive