Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Naturally Aspirated 03 coupe??? advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 02:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Naturally Aspirated 03 coupe??? advice

okay so i bought my G last year in october with 71k miles on it. iv been in afghanistan for the past 8 months and iv been stackin my money up to buy parts. my homie is installing everything for me but i was told that for a daily driver i should go Naturally Aspirated.
i was directed to buy parts for my car to be installed and here is a list of what iv bought iv bought so far, any suggestions of what else i can do to my baby to make it a beast and keep it as a daily drive?

TOMEI PONCAM Camshafts
AAM Competition 3 in. Single Exit Exhaust ( i wanted to go single exhaust told it sounds sexier)
AAM Competition Y-Pipe
Kinetix SSV Manifold

and thats all iv bought so far, i bought the car with a cold air intake already installed and i had a stage 2 exedy clutch and a OEM fly wheel. and i already have my new tires.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by Slammed_03
okay so i bought my G last year in october with 71k miles on it. iv been in afghanistan for the past 8 months and iv been stackin my money up to buy parts. my homie is installing everything for me but i was told that for a daily driver i should go Naturally Aspirated.
i was directed to buy parts for my car to be installed and here is a list of what iv bought iv bought so far, any suggestions of what else i can do to my baby to make it a beast and keep it as a daily drive?

TOMEI PONCAM Camshafts
AAM Competition 3 in. Single Exit Exhaust ( i wanted to go single exhaust told it sounds sexier)
AAM Competition Y-Pipe
Kinetix SSV Manifold

and thats all iv bought so far, i bought the car with a cold air intake already installed and i had a stage 2 exedy clutch and a OEM fly wheel. and i already have my new tires.
Thank you for your service.

Take that stack of money and fund your IRA, 401k and savings.

You can thank me in 25 years

Don't **** money away on a a 11 year old car that if totaled in an accident will be worth $hit

Just my $.02 from an old farht that is sorry that I knew more than my dad when I was your age.

Telcoman

Old 11-11-2013, 03:50 AM
Premier Member

Received 417 Likes on 336 Posts
Originally Posted by telcoman
Thank you for your service.

Take that stack of money and fund your IRA, 401k and savings.

You can thank me in 25 years

Don't **** money away on a a 11 year old car that if totaled in an accident will be worth $hit

Just my $.02 from an old farht that is sorry that I knew more than my dad when I was your age.

Telcoman
WTF is wrong with this guy?? You've already bought the parts, might as well enjoy them. Now you just need an Uprev tune to maximize the performance of these parts.

The following users liked this post:
Slammed_03 (11-11-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 03:58 AM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts
Might want to consider HFC's, lightened drive shaft as well

Slammed_03 (11-11-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 07:30 AM
haha to the Telecom guy....thanks for your support? iv already invested in my savings retirement 401k all that stuff years ago. cool advice but unnecessary for a G35 lovers forum lol.
anyways yea Seymore4 that uprev how much does that usually cost? my friend told me that i need to get my ECU flashed? but then i cant do that unless i go to a Dyno place or buy an expensive self flash thingy haha.

and the HFC drive shaft ill look that up.
OH and also i cannot find a anyplace for the life of me that i can match my backseats to my front seats if i replace them, is there no way to get a custom one installed unless i changed the leather or just have it removed completely?

Old 11-11-2013, 09:19 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Consider a rear final drive gear change, and LSD if your G35 is not already equipped. Consider an intake spacer as well.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Consider a rear final drive gear change, and LSD if your G35 is not already equipped. Consider an intake spacer as well.
i actually just ordered a Mishimoto radiator is that different? or are u talking about like a plenum spacer.
and what is a rear final drive gear change? and an LSD?

Old 11-11-2013, 10:18 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Slammed, stop listening to your friend and do more research before you buy any more mod parts! Read all the stickys at the top of the coupe page, lots of important information you need to consume. Manifold isn't the best buy for your $$ since your staying NA! Motordyne spacer would have achieved better results for a lot less. Single exhaust, if that's what you like...include Fast Intentions high flow cats. Most of the restriction is in your OE cats, changing them for HFC will net you no less than 8 whp. Cams, not sure that's a great idea with all the miles on your clock. When you're finished with all the bolt ons get an Osiris tune! Cost is in the $500 to $600 range but you'll get another 25 whp and close to 20 lbs torque. That you'll notice the minute you turn the key...enjoy the ride!
Gary

Slammed_03 (11-11-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Originally Posted by Slammed_03

TOMEI PONCAM Camshafts
AAM Competition Y-Pipe
Kinetix SSV Manifold

You just wasted a huge chunk of money for very minimal gains. The VQ35 does not respond well to NA mods. Either save up and go FI, just do minor mods for sound, or stay stock.

My .02, see if you can get your money back. Go on Youtube, listen to all the various exhaust combos, find the one you like best, then buy that one. Never just listen to random people at shops and buy what they tell you. Also never buy from AAM, they are huge crooks and do not deserve any business.

The following 2 users liked this post by WhosUrBuddiee:
Slammed_03 (11-11-2013), superchargedg (11-11-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by gary c
Slammed, stop listening to your friend and do more research before you buy any more mod parts! Read all the stickys at the top of the coupe page, lots of important information you need to consume. Manifold isn't the best buy for your $$ since your staying NA! Motordyne spacer would have achieved better results for a lot less. Single exhaust, if that's what you like...include Fast Intentions high flow cats. Most of the restriction is in your OE cats, changing them for HFC will net you no less than 8 whp. Cams, not sure that's a great idea with all the miles on your clock. When you're finished with all the bolt ons get an Osiris tune! Cost is in the $500 to $600 range but you'll get another 25 whp and close to 20 lbs torque. That you'll notice the minute you turn the key...enjoy the ride!
Gary
so for the naturally aspirated part the mainfold wouldnt be good as a daily driver but would it be good if it wasnt a daily?
and cams....**** is there anyway to make them more worth it with the miles i have? or is there another way to suffice for that. and the osiris tune where cani get that done at?

Old 11-11-2013, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
You just wasted a huge chunk of money for very minimal gains. The VQ35 does not respond well to NA mods. Either save up and go FI, just do minor mods for sound, or stay stock.

My .02, see if you can get your money back. Go on Youtube, listen to all the various exhaust combos, find the one you like best, then buy that one. Never just listen to random people at shops and buy what they tell you. Also never buy from AAM, they are huge crooks and do not deserve any business.
well those items i purchased are acutally still pending and waiting for apporval i got them last night on enjukuraicing.com
so ur pretty much suggestiing to go turbo and get small mods? or supercharger?

Old 11-11-2013, 10:53 AM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
Just get a Vortech or TT and go from there. If I were to do it all over again, that's where I would have started.

Slammed_03 (11-11-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by Jairen
Just get a Vortech or TT and go from there. If I were to do it all over again, that's where I would have started.
i understand what yall are saying about the superchargers and turbos but the main reason i didnt wanna go that route was because arnt they like 6-9k? im pretty much trying to get more out of my car for less than 6000

Old 11-11-2013, 11:01 AM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
The SSV manifold is designed for forced induction, you will only see very minimal gains (if any at all). Really it is pointless on a NA G35 (unless you just want it for show). It will not impact your ability to daily the car, because it really will have no impact on the car at all.

Cams are a whole can of worms, yes you need someone who knows what they are doing to tune your car after. Very very few tuners have experience tuning a G35 with cams. Honestly, you are just looking for trouble.

The most common mods are just a cold air intake, plenum spacer, high flow cats/test pipes, exhaust and piggyback flash. All of which you can do with simple hand tools in your driveway. Total you will be spending about 2-3k and net about 30-40hp.

Or just save up and get a used vortech or procharger kit for 4-5k, and get 150hp gain. Many people here daily mildly boosted G35s for years with no problems.

Slammed_03 (11-11-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
The SSV manifold is designed for forced induction, you will only see very minimal gains (if any at all). Really it is pointless on a NA G35 (unless you just want it for show). It will not impact your ability to daily the car, because it really will have no impact on the car at all.

Cams are a whole can of worms, yes you need someone who knows what they are doing to tune your car after. Very very few tuners have experience tuning a G35 with cams. Honestly, you are just looking for trouble.

The most common mods are just a cold air intake, plenum spacer, high flow cats/test pipes, exhaust and piggyback flash. All of which you can do with simple hand tools in your driveway. Total you will be spending about 2-3k and net about 30-40hp.

Or just save up and get a used vortech or procharger kit for 4-5k, and get 150hp gain. Many people here daily mildly boosted G35s for years with no problems.
shooooti had no idea you could buy used super chargers and turbos that changes everything. so okay, is there anything out of the things i listed that i could use WITH a super charger or turbo? like what should i not buy. and which parts would help out with it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Naturally Aspirated 03 coupe??? advice