Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

2003 G35 Sedan - Cranks but Doesn't Start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 07:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 G35 Sedan - Cranks but Doesn't Start

Hey guys,

Went to get into my car yesterday and she would not turn on. She cranks, but doesn’t start. I’m mechanically inclined, and will be checking for spark/fuel, although before i started, I wanted to know if there are any parts that typically go out causing a no start concern on these cars.

I used my back up key, and still nothing.

Thanks!

Old 05-08-2014, 07:22 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I'd guess you won't get any spark at the coil. But it might be safer to see if you are getting any signal current BEFORE the coil. less voltage to deal with.

If nothing, off hand, I'd suspect the crank angle sensor. That would be telling the ecu when to send a signal to the coil to fire.

Not sure if the NATS system would allow you to crank. Probably all or nothing type of deal so it's probably not the key (transponder/security system).

If you are getting a signal, maybe the fuel pump isn't turning on. Check your fuses for IGN, Fuel relay. Actually you might want to check this first as it's the easiet

Old 05-08-2014, 09:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I'd guess you won't get any spark at the coil. But it might be safer to see if you are getting any signal current BEFORE the coil. less voltage to deal with.

If nothing, off hand, I'd suspect the crank angle sensor. That would be telling the ecu when to send a signal to the coil to fire.

Not sure if the NATS system would allow you to crank. Probably all or nothing type of deal so it's probably not the key (transponder/security system).

If you are getting a signal, maybe the fuel pump isn't turning on. Check your fuses for IGN, Fuel relay. Actually you might want to check this first as it's the easiet
Thanks for the info. For good measure, I tried to start it again. She cranked, and sounded like she wanted to start,so I kept cranking and she finally started.

??

Turned her off a few times,and she starts back up but seems to take a couple extra revolutions.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's the crank position sensor. Easy fix! Very common issue on our cars!