Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Radiator/Coolant Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radiator/Coolant Issue

So this problem first started when i noticed that my coolant levels were low and i had a small coolant leak coming from the larger hose that connects to the radiator near the cap. I flushed the fluid, and replaced the hose. The problem really starts here, the new hose seemed slightly too long although i was still able to make the connection. The end of the hose by the cap had a small noticable leak that i think was caused by the hose being too long and havent that extra pressure. I was at work so i just tightened the clamp down a bit and whiped the coolant away, and presto the coolant was no longer leaking from the hose.

Now that my coolant system is sealed (i also got a new radiator cap just to be safe) there are no hose leaks. but out of nowhere there is coolant SPRAYING with a good amount of force out of the top of my radiator where im guessing its a crack? My question is this. If there is obviously a crack in the radiator, would that cause the coolant to boil over and overfill my reservoir? im replacing the radiator in it tommorrow but im worried that it might be a thermostat or water pump issue. Do you think there is a blockage in a line thats causing the coolant to not be able to flow through the enginge? mind you it wasnt overheating with the hose leaking and every time i bled the air out to the best of my ability. Or is my radiator simply shot and the radiator problem is whats causing my coolant to overfill my reservoir? I just want to get everything fixed in one swoop :/

Old 08-22-2014, 09:46 PM
the thought im having is that once the hoses werent leaking and the pressure built up the way it would without a leak, the coolant finally decided the easiest way out was through the crack in the radiator?

Old 08-25-2014, 05:00 PM
solved

So yes it was the radiator. Since i have replaced it with a new one... not happy that i was unable to find a 2 core ANYWHERE at this point. Lifetime warranty will hopefully not have to be used :/. I searched everywhere people suggested here and i think our radiators are becoming slightly outdated. Ebay had a few 2 core in the 250$ range, which is rediculous because i'd just for out 300 for a mishimoto if i was gonna drop that much on my G that i just drive to work! Dont really trust ebay much for fragile parts like that anyways..